C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts and comments about our wonderful brakes (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 11:06 PM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thoughts and comments about our wonderful brakes (long)

I posted recently about rebuilding brake calipers, and I was told by most to just go with new. Today I tore apart my front calipers, and noticed no rust on the walls, and they look to be SSS. So I think Ill go ahead and try out a rebuild.

Ive heard comments about removing the spring behind the piston, but this makes no sence to me. The spring is fitted in the bottom of the piston , keeping it more level. Also it seems it would aid the piston to coming up when the brakes are depressed. Yet I've heard of improved results after it is removed??

Also another thing I noticed is the rubber ring on the piston. This ring seems to be the key ingrediant to keeping the piston from any leeks. My pistons all seemed snug but they had signs of leekage, and the culpret on every one seemed to be the rubber ring. The rubber itself seemed to be in perfect condition, but still leeks were there, which makes me tink that the rings in avaliable rebuild kits suck. Do any vendors make stronger, bigger, rubber rings?

Whata u think? :confused:
Old 10-05-2002, 11:31 PM
John W
Instructor

Default Re: Thoughts and comments about our wonderful brakes (Blues77)

I think that you are correct, the piston seals are the weak point of these brakes. I have wondered the same thing that you did " Are there better seals available for a rebuild?". From what I have seen/heard there are a couple different types of seals; "lip" seal (standard) and an o-ring (better) seal. If I am not mistaken the o-ring seal requires a slightly different piston.

I could swear that there was a vendor who provided new pistons and seals for these brakes. I will do some poking around in my favorites list to see what I can find.

See ya,
John
Old 10-06-2002, 12:39 AM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Thoughts and comments about our wonderful brakes (John W)

Well I stopped being lazy and did a forum search, and found VBP's o-ringed and ZT o-ringed, which is old news to alot of us. So Ill go with one of these. Still curious about the spring?

[Modified by Blues77, 10:39 PM 10/5/2002]
Old 10-06-2002, 12:44 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Precision Engineering for 'O' ring pistons. I have heard good things about them. Sorry, I don't have a link.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:18 AM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

I rebuilt my calipers. There was no rust in them, everything seemed clean, but the front driver side leaked. I used the $10 kit from Advance Auto Parts, which I may regret when I actually have the car put back together, and I didn't remove the springs.

I think that removing the springs could cause some problems, most likely when the pads are worn down. The pistons could retract away from the pads... then when you hit the brakes you'd get a moments hesitation before the piston contactes the pads and pushes it into the rotor. But that's just speculation... I too have heard good results from removing the springs.

I know that wasn't much help, though... :rolleyes:

Jerry
Old 10-06-2002, 05:28 PM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Thoughts and comments about our wonderful brakes (jerryjfunk)

Run hard and fast.. C3 brakes suck! :cuss
Old 10-06-2002, 07:24 PM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

O-rings are good for static sealing, but on a moving piston lip-seals are better and will keep tight longer.
Only reason to use o-rings is if you have problems with air-sucking, (most common at the rear brakes). This because an o-ring seals equally good in both directions.
And even with such problems it's better to get rid of the runout and use lip-seals.
In my experience the springs have no positive effect, they only cause drag and greater risk of air problems. Leave them out.
It's also much easier to mount the caliper without the springs pushing out the pistons.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:51 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts and comments about our wonderful brakes (Ingar, Norway)

Over the years I have found that S/S lined calipers are very rebuildable. That is the biggest reason to use them. However, there is a difference in seals.. Delco seem to be the best of the bunch especially the dust shield. Some of the aftermarket dust boots fit very loose. Just clean the bores and rebuild the calipers.. No big problem..

[Modified by silvervetteman, 6:52 PM 10/6/2002]
Old 10-06-2002, 10:01 PM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Thoughts and comments about our wonderful brakes (Ingar, Norway)

Anyone have some links on lip seal kits and or O-ring rebuild kits? I cruized around VBP and didnt find there kit.

I definatly see how the springs can cause drag. Whould the pad be rubbing the rotor more, when the brakes arent applied? Just from playing with the piston with the spring and without it, I noticed with it in place it seemed to keep the piston more level, seemingly to cause less friction againt the piston and the piston wall. Still confused on this spring.

Thanks everyone :cheers:

[Modified by Blues77, 8:02 PM 10/6/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts and comments about our wonderful brakes (long)

Quick Reply: Thoughts and comments about our wonderful brakes (long)