C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Booster removal Q..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 03:48 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Booster removal Q..

I`m about to install a Hydroboost system and detailing the engine compartment.
So iwas going to remove the vac booster and followed all the tips i`ve got from you guys,but theres one nut i cant get to.Its the upper left one.My car is a manual and theres just to much stuff in the way to get to it. :mad :mad
I was seconds frrom getting my sawsall and just cut the bolt from outside..
Any tips,please..? :cheers: :cheers:
Old 10-03-2002, 04:03 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Brake Booster removal Q.. (BB wowbagger)

I was going to pull my booster and detail it a couple of weeks ago until I took a look up there. :eek: It looks like total disassembly of the left side of the dash and dropping the steering column is the only option. Hopefully someone will chime in with the real trick.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:27 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Brake Booster removal Q.. (FeedVaal)

I really,really hope someone will too :cheers:
Old 10-03-2002, 04:30 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Drop the steering column. It's only 6 bolts and the rag joint, plus the harness. You can have it out in 30 minutes and it makes it ALOT easier. Or you can suffer through it using a compination of swivels and extensions on your ratchet. I've done it both ways - take out the drivers seat and the steering column. That top left nut is by far the hardest...
Old 10-03-2002, 04:36 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Brake Booster removal Q.. (Monty)

Drop the steering column. It's only 6 bolts and the rag joint, plus the harness. You can have it out in 30 minutes and it makes it ALOT easier. Or you can suffer through it using a compination of swivels and extensions on your ratchet. I've done it both ways - take out the drivers seat and the steering column. That top left nut is by far the hardest...
Done that..The nut hides behind clutchpedal assembly.I can see the nut,barely..
Old 10-03-2002, 04:42 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel for you. When I did mine I also removed the steering column and driver seat and still spent the entire evening on my back half in or half out of the car depending if you are an optomist of pessimist? One whole evening just to remove this bolt.
For installing the hydraboost I used the four supplied studs and they pressed perfectly into the existing fire wall holes. Just get them started from under the dash then use a larger nut, a washer , then proper nut and pull them through and they tighten right in there.
No more struggling under the dash, other then the activation rod that is.
Good luck.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:46 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Brake Booster removal Q.. (norvalwilhelm)

I'll be honest, after I rebuilt my car a couple of years ago, I didn't reinstall the top left nut. After removing it the first time, I told my self never again..."3 out of 4 ain't bad". It paid off monday night when I installed my Hydroboost, 15 minutes to remove the vacuum assist brake booster :).
Old 10-03-2002, 05:00 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

I may have missed something earlier, but why are you going to the hydroboost system, If it's to fit tall valve covers I've done it without converting but it's probably just as much of a pain especially if you modify aluminum valve covers like I did, If you had steel tall valve covers they would have enough give to make some clearance.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 10-03-2002, 05:05 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Brake Booster removal Q.. (73 LS-4)

The main reason I did it was that under boost, I would loose vacuum assist, requiring alot of brake pedal effort to hold the car at the line while power braking. Plus I only had 7" to 8" of vacuum at idle with my 254/254 mech roller cam. Secondly, it opens up more under hoost space and moves the master cylinder further away from my headers and downpipe (heat).

[Modified by Monty, 3:14 PM 10/3/2002]
Old 10-03-2002, 05:05 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

I have tall Alu valve covers.Thay are welded in the corners,both sides.Vac booster on one side and AC stuff on the other.Plus i`m running with a cam that gives me 1-2 Inch/Hg at idle....And then there the :cool: factor :cheers:
Old 10-03-2002, 05:16 PM
Bob's72
Heel & Toe

I helped a buddy change out his 75. We had to get his tiny wife with tiny fingers to get to that nut. (emphasis on tiny)
Old 10-03-2002, 05:18 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

I have tall Alu valve covers.Thay are welded in the corners,both sides.Vac booster on one side and AC stuff on the other.Plus i`m running with a cam that gives me 1-2 Inch/Hg at idle....And then there the :cool: factor :cheers:
Explanation enough :D

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 10-03-2002, 05:53 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

I remember changing my brake booster. Man what a pita. Sweatin and cussin like a dawg for hours. It really sucked because the hardest nut to get to was on a long threaded stud that with my luck had to be sticky all the way off. It would go 1 turn then get sticky 1 turn and so on. Im sure some of you have been there. It did really suck. I eventually got it done though. A fine precision ratchet is a big help since it will click back on a smaller sweep. Try it with a 1/4" drive set up of preferable high quality like snap on. Fine tools will make a big difference on a job like this.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:50 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Brake Booster removal Q.. (Monty)

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 10-04-2002, 10:16 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

HEHE, when I did mine last winter, to lower the brake and gas pedals along with extending the firewall forward below the steering wheel....moreleg room.....I had the entire dash/steering out of the car, harness too.....since all that was redone, I left off that top driver's side nut....I find a swivel on a LONGGGGGG extension and 3/8 impact works fine....

GENE
Old 10-04-2002, 05:13 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Brake Booster removal Q.. (mrvette)

I got that little F:er out today...But that nut has do be the biggest PITA there is on a vette.It makes everything else look easy...Monty>>I`m with you on this one,it will NEVER be replaced..I`m gonna run with three bolts,thats it.. :smash: :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks for every tip i`ve got,helped alot.. :cheers: :cheers:
Old 10-05-2002, 12:16 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am wrenching on cars just about every day now and yes there are things that are major pains to do, but you need to do them. There is a reason that a number of fasteners are used to hold something together. Four lug nuts might hold your wheel on, but there is a reason that there is five. You seats might be fine with two bolts, but there is a reason that there is four.
(Done standing on soap box..now back to your regular programming ) :D

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Booster removal Q..

Old 10-07-2002, 10:53 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Guys, listen to me. Install the 4 studs supplied with the hydraboost from the drivers side of the firewall facing out. They slid effortlessly into the existing holes , then draw them through using a large nut and the proper nut and you end up with 4 studs sticking out of the firewall. From now on it is a simple matter to remove and replace the hydraboost.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:03 AM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Brake Booster removal Q.. (norvalwilhelm)

norvalwilhelm that is an excellent idea, however the only drawback would be less "clean" look of having 4 studs in the engine bay.
IMO of course :)
cheers
Old 10-07-2002, 01:05 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Brake Booster removal Q.. (71'AirStrike)

I don't think that 4 studs sticking out of the firewall looks unclean. I can effortlessly remove the hydraboost and have done so a few times in the last year for other modifications. I continually take things apart for yearly maintaenace and just to modify and try to make everything as easy as possible to work on. With 4 nuts on the studs very little is left sticking out and I have no problems with getting any of the 4 nuts off.

Quick Reply: Brake Booster removal Q..