C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage AC in a 68 Tight Fit !

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:03 PM
extechguy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vintage AC in a 68 Tight Fit !

I just got done installing a Vintage Air unit in my 68 and it was a real tight fit !! Everything went great until I got to the dash, how do you get all that ducting in ?? The plastic duct they supplied for the drivers side vent was just too big ! Then trying to put the center gauge cluster in with all the hoses was impossible. I managed to shoehorn it all in but when I tried to put the passenger side dash panel, it hit the AC box and now does not line up with the center console. Has anyone else had problems with this unit ??
Old 05-04-2017, 11:22 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by extechguy
I just got done installing a Vintage Air unit in my 68 and it was a real tight fit !! Everything went great until I got to the dash, how do you get all that ducting in ?? The plastic duct they supplied for the drivers side vent was just too big ! Then trying to put the center gauge cluster in with all the hoses was impossible. I managed to shoehorn it all in but when I tried to put the passenger side dash panel, it hit the AC box and now does not line up with the center console. Has anyone else had problems with this unit ??

Yes.... We have all had the exact same problem, and there is no resolution. The ducting to the two center vents in the bezel will get smashed/half flattened out behind the dash, and it does restrict air flow.

The only "fix" I have seen is someone used the ducting and center vent assembly off of a later model...(I don't recall what year, 78-79 maybe) and the two center vents tie into a common "box" for a lack of a better term that makes the tight 90*...then the duct hose just slides on the end of that box. I am not sure if trying to utilize that same 90* box will work with the center vents/bezel on a 68-77' model. Maybe you could fab up something similar but... Most of the rest of us, just live with the crushed ducting. That restriction just forces more air out of the driver/passenger side vents. You will stay plenty cool inside the car.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:47 PM
extechguy
Advanced

I ended up using 2 inch flex hose to go to the driver and passenger side air vents and that helped greatly. I used a 2.5 piece of hose as an adapter and siliconed the smaller hose inside it, the other end pushed right into the back of the duct housing. Still cant figure out why my passengers side dash panel hits the ac box before it is properly seated so the leg of it meets up with the center console
The following users liked this post:
20mercury (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 11:56 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Ditto, Ditto, here too and put in 2 Vintage Air's in two different 68's.

I used all flex duct on one install for the driver side. On the second install, I flattened the supplied hard duct for the driver's side with a hot air hair dryer to get more foot room.

Same here for the center gauge cluster, I moved the center consoles back and trimmed back of the parking brake console a very little bit to give a little extra room. And with quite a bit of wiggling it did all mash in.

Lastly, and I think their directions say to do this, you might have to trim the back hard side of the passenger dash to get it to fit. You do not want to cut through to the softer exposed vinyl, just the hard back only as much as needed.

BTW, I just ran my ducts as I liked to different vents. I skipped the center vent on one and created a passenger floor vent to keep my wife happy. Just make sure the defroster one goes to the dash pad vent and the 2 air ***** match the thumb drive setting.

However, at the end of the day, I thought for aftermarket, it all went together pretty well and the cold a/c air coming out was very much appreciated.

Good luck and hope this might help!

Your 68 looks great! Nice rims and the gold stripe really sets it off!

Last edited by 20mercury; 05-05-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:06 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If you go directly to their website and look up the installation instructions, it shows you exactly where to trim on the backside of the passenger dash panel. I did and it was still very snug but it worked after all.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:27 PM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I got everything to fit with the exception of the plastic piece for the drivers side vent...it just wasn't worth the fight. I just ran the excess flex tubing over the steering column and attached it.

The tubing behind the center gauges will get compressed, but I honestly didn't notice mush difference in airflow once it was all buttoned up and running.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:56 AM
502 C-3
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My passenger dash panel was way off at the bottom. I loosened the evaporator unit, pulled it back and found some of the factory insulation was not allowing the unit to pull up to the firewall. I removed that insulation and it helped a bunch. Still a tight fit. I'm still fighting the driver's side dash and don't know what I'll do for the driver's duct. Really disappointed with how the ducts fit.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:04 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 775 Posts

Default Center air duct supply ideas....

Here is a post for some ideas on routing air to the center duct.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uestion-2.html

I have Hot Rod Air (not Vintage) and I had the same issue with that center air ducting.

After making center air ducting with PCV, corrugated duct, and later a fabricated RTV tube(flowed best) then ----
THE LATEST METHODOLOGY:
I ended up just making my own duct out of cardboard (plan is to glass it eventually). However since it works the best so far I haven't dealt with it.

The fabricated cardboard duct "curves" towards the back of the center ducting and has to 2 empty RTV tubes sticking out of the passenger side that the ducting attaches to.
I do NOT have that contraption, with the two ports, on the backside....that is removed and my cardboard ducting attaches directly to the back side of the center vent outlets. This allowed for a smoother sweep and inside the cardboard duct I have a piece of plastic that splits the airflow between left and right.
This flows better than even the RTV tube method (more volume available and curve towards discharge vent area) and is easier to install since it was made to fit.
I'll try to get pictures next time I go back there (but it doesn't look very good being cardboard and all).

Last edited by carriljc; 05-07-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: add comment about backside ports
Old 05-07-2017, 11:32 AM
extechguy
Advanced

To 502 C3, I had removed all factory insulation and then used dynamat and this aluminum bubble wrap sandwich material they sell at Lowes. I remove all the original jut padding from under the carpet and the rugs fit fine, I think that will make a major difference. Vintage air had two styles of hard duct for the driver's side, neither one fit.
I used a section of 2.5 duct to attach to the unit and then siliconed a piece of 2 inch inside that and ran it to the drivers vent. The 2 inch went inside the vent housing as opposed to the 2.5 going on the outside. I did that for both sides and everything fit a lot better. I still have to trim my passenger side panel as stated earlier by redcruz1120
Old 07-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad to read this thread. I'm currently working on my own VA install on a 69 convertible. For the life of me I cannot get the hard ducting on the drivers side to go in. It seems it's too deep and bumps up against one of the support bars in there. There's supposedly 11' of flex ducting in the kit so I was thinking of going in that direction. Glad to see others have tried it successfully.

Last edited by Hayes69; 07-18-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:43 PM
502 C-3
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I ended up not using the hard duct. Had enough of the flexible duct to make it to the driver's side register. Been two months and it's working fine. The vintage air is far superior than the weak factory system I replaced and the cleanup on the firewall is awesome.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:57 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Originally Posted by 502 C-3
I ended up not using the hard duct. Had enough of the flexible duct to make it to the driver's side register. Been two months and it's working fine. The vintage air is far superior than the weak factory system I replaced and the cleanup on the firewall is awesome.
Thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear it is a workable solution. I'm ready to get this project over with. Garages in Dallas are HOT this time of year!
Old 07-19-2017, 08:36 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Fwiw, I reinstalled my Oem '68 ac after changing out the rear actuator. The OEM stuff is just as tight. After installation, one can't even slip a piece of paper between many spots. The wiper bezel above the center register ends up slightly crooked due to space. My technician friend is adamant they were originally delivered that way.
The following users liked this post:
20mercury (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 PM
mooncricket
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Extechguy, not to derail this thread, but can you tell me what wheels and tires you have on your 68? It looks fantastic... Are they the polished TorqueThrusts? Did you need spacers or extended wheel studs? I also have a white 68, but its a coupe and I was thinking about this exact combination.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:30 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW I just finished the drivers side of my 69 coupe and was more or less pleased with the VA plastic ducting piece to driver side vent. I purchased a u-clip for the ducting screw mount onto the odometer reset bracket. I then used a really long zip-tie wrapped around the steering column and all the way around the duct - it keeps the moulded ducting nice and tight up under the driver side dash. My one complaint is that the toe of steel toe boots will hit the back of the ducting when letting the clutch all the way out.

Has anyone been able to get the passenger side dash in without modification? I you had to cut, how did you do it safely? Thank you.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Originally Posted by A8skyhawk
FWIW I just finished the drivers side of my 69 coupe and was more or less pleased with the VA plastic ducting piece to driver side vent. I purchased a u-clip for the ducting screw mount onto the odometer reset bracket. I then used a really long zip-tie wrapped around the steering column and all the way around the duct - it keeps the moulded ducting nice and tight up under the driver side dash. My one complaint is that the toe of steel toe boots will hit the back of the ducting when letting the clutch all the way out.

Has anyone been able to get the passenger side dash in without modification? I you had to cut, how did you do it safely? Thank you.
I tried putting the ducting under the steering column but now as I'm trying to put everything back together it seems like it's going to be too low. So I'm now going to pull the dash again and see if I go over the steering column.

I went ahead and cut the passenger side dash per instructions. I just used a die grinder with a metal cut off wheel (abrasive disc). I traced the template then would slowly cut the plastic. I would check it frequently to see when I had cut through the plastic so that I was careful to not go through the padding or vinyl. It worked well.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage AC in a 68 Tight Fit !

Quick Reply: Vintage AC in a 68 Tight Fit !