C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing my gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:07 AM
carjack007
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing my gas tank

I am going to replace the tank on my '72. There are several tanks on the market for less than $100. Has anyone used them and are they OK? Do you need anything besides the sending unit gasket and filler neck gasket?

TIA, Bob
Old 04-29-2017, 09:23 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bob,
When replacing the tank I think I'd also replace the rubber hoses on the right side… supply and return lines, and on the left side…. EEC hoses.
I'm not familiar with $100 gas tanks so I'd be curious to know why they're half the price of a Quanta tank.
I'b be concerned with the quality of the plating on the tank since that's what stops it from getting rusty.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-29-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:33 AM
carjack007
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Bob,
When replacing the tank I think I'd also replace the rubber hoses on the right side… supply and return lines, and on the left side…. EEC hoses.
I'm not familiar with $100 gas tanks so I'd be curious to know why they're half the price of a Quanta tank.
I'b be concerned with the quality of the plating on the tank since that's what stops it from getting rusty.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan,
My thoughts exactly! I even saw one on eBay for $71... hopefully someone that has used one will reply. I read an article saying that all tanks were made from a special steel... I cannot remember the name.
I replaced this tank about 10 years ago with a GM tank. It is brand new on the outside and totally corroded on the inside from that wonderful gas they make today! The "sock" is so covered with varnish that the engine cuts out or bogs at 3000rpm! A treatment of Seafoam did not help at all.
Bob
Old 04-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bob,
Gas tanks are typically made from ni-terne steel.
It's an alloy that makes the steel very ductile which enables it to be easily formed into complex shapes.
Again, I think the quality of the plating would be an issue when thinking about longevity.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-29-2017, 12:45 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by carjack007
Thanks Alan,
My thoughts exactly! I even saw one on eBay for $71... hopefully someone that has used one will reply. I read an article saying that all tanks were made from a special steel... I cannot remember the name.
I replaced this tank about 10 years ago with a GM tank. It is brand new on the outside and totally corroded on the inside from that wonderful gas they make today! The "sock" is so covered with varnish that the engine cuts out or bogs at 3000rpm! A treatment of Seafoam did not help at all.
Bob
Hi Bob, the same thing happened to me. I replaced the gas tank in 2008 with a new one from Ecklers, and by 2014 it was ruined. So I replaced it with a Spectra Premium GM33D, made in Canada, and I only put in Ethanol-free gas. It was a perfect fit and so far so good...looks good inside and out.

I looked at the one you posted about on eBay, it looks OK and has the rubber hose connections, but it doesn't give the brand name.
Good luck.

Dave
Old 04-29-2017, 12:50 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by carjack007
Thanks Alan,
Bob
You make a good point regarding the ethanol in our fuel. It holds water and then when it becomes saturated (about .05% water) the water separates out to the bottom. The result, rust in our tanks.

I wonder if a tank liner product would be satisfactory to prevent the rust issue. Or even fix your current rust issue. Seems preventative would be better though.

Something like this;

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fuel-T...FQaTaQodYYADZA

Or this;

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealers.html

One of the vendors here may even have a product.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:18 AM
RachelLvVette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too, am looking for a new tank. Did you decide to Ebay it or go with a name brand? I do have a different year, 79. I haven't been able to find many reviews on tanks and I don't want to have to replace it again in a few years.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing my gas tank

Quick Reply: Replacing my gas tank