C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff done......now I can finish off the rear suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 01:13 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Diff done......now I can finish off the rear suspension. (69ttop502)

Have you considered 17 inch rallyes. You can even get them in billet aluminum. I realize it is a bit less sidewall, but you get the performance and can stay with a rallye.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:15 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Diff done......now I can finish off the rear suspension. (Brett K)

Have you considered 17 inch rallyes.
I like to see lots of sidewall on a C2 (midyear)....that's why I'm staying with 15" wheels.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:18 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Diff done......now I can finish off the rear suspension. (67HEAVEN)

Saw a set of the 17's on a black chrome bumber c-3 I did not car for the look.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:14 PM
UCRed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

67heaven,

Sorry for the stupid questions but: how difficult is it to rebuild the rear? Is there a manual or something to help? What type of check is performed to determine if it is necessary? If you are replacing the gears you can select the ratio you want, correct? Thank for the help! :confused:
Old 09-26-2002, 06:01 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Diff done......now I can finish off the rear suspension. (UCRed)

67heaven,

Sorry for the stupid questions but: how difficult is it to rebuild the rear? Is there a manual or something to help? What type of check is performed to determine if it is necessary? If you are replacing the gears you can select the ratio you want, correct? Thank for the help! :confused:

How difficult? I guess that depends on your level of expertise with automotive rebuilds. Just getting the differential out of the car (to work on it) is a major task if you haven't done it before, and requires a variety of tools, jack stands, floor jack, etc. Depending on how old your car is, and what weather it has been exposed to over the years, most suspension bolts and nuts will be miserable to remove. Once you're into the differential, you'll need a trained eye to advise you about the condition of the gear set, bearings, clutches, etc. Just removing the pinion gear can be a nightmare the first time.

There are some differences in cases depending on the gear you choose. They're known as the 3 series and 4 series cases.

Reassembly requires some knowledge of bearing pre-loading, backspace adjustment, the use of a dial indicator and correct tooth pattern.

Section 4 of the Chassis Overhaul Manual has the complete step-by-step with photos for my year.......1967. I assume that the book for your year will too. This book, the Chassis Service Manual, and the Assembly Instruction Manual are absolute musts if you're getting into your car in a serious way. The books are available from NCRS.org

Also, a search of the Archives here will no doubt turn up lots of previous discussions.

I would recommend that you invite an experienced person, with a full set of the necessary tools, to help you the first time.

Good luck. :cheers:
Old 09-26-2002, 09:19 PM
UCRed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

67 heaven,

Thanks for the info. I am doing a frame off resto right now so the rear end is out of the car. I have rebuilt engines, and other cars but have never touched a tranny or a rear end. Something about all those gears and spacers tends to scare me. The car is a 74 and has just over 54K on it. I have owned it since 1980 and it has been sitting for about 2 years. (another shop started the resto but went bankrupt so now noone wants to touch it, So I'm doing it) I am in the process of building the engine and I didn't want to skimp on the rear while everything was torn down. I have an assembly amnual but not the other books you referenced. I will purchase them and re-evaluate. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Diff done......now I can finish off the rear suspension.