C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body question/ damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:42 AM
vannmike
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Body question/ damage

On my 77 at the top corner of the driver side fender, where it meets door. Looks like under neath a rivet is popped a d the metal plate is raised up a bit. I also have a broke area along the back of the engine bay right in front of the wind shield, which may have been a product of the popped rivet. You can actually push on that area and it moves slightly. I'm not to worried about the looks right now, just safety really. I thought I read these front clips were essentially glued on... thoughtso? Pics below.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 AM
vannmike
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Bump. No one?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:30 AM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vannmike
Bump. No one?
There are any number of reasons that area has separated. Accidents are only one of those. As someone had stated in another post, the way the car is jacked up and the placement of jack stands for extended periods of time are all possible reasons. The cab frame is metal but everything else is fiberglass and is either/or glued or has rivets for attachment. Would not think safety would be an issue looking at the pic's if the pic's are the only areas where there are issues. If the fenders are still secure from the upper portion of the door opening down to the rockers and are still tight then everything should be fine I would think. The biggest concern might be water leaks from the upper area where the panels might have separated.

Had a Corvette years ago that if I parked it in the back yard and if it rained like Noah's flood it didn't leak but turn it around and it leaked like a screen door on a submarine. I would think the upper cowl corner bonding panel being up would cause a leak there.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi vm,
In the second photo your finger is pointing at a break in the hood surround.
Originally the hood surround was one single piece including that narrow gutter at the rear of the engine compartment.
It appears something was done in this area that required a repair/ or replacement.
Regards,
Alan

This is a 71 with a wiper door but the surround gutter is typical.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-08-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Body question/ damage

Quick Reply: Body question/ damage