C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high rpm cutout

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 01:46 AM
SharkBit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default high rpm cutout

shoulda put this in the other post, but i forgot :crazy:

when i rev, it pulls strong to about 3800 rpms, then it starts sounding like its cutting out really bad, i have the hei distributor, ive checked the internals but nothing seems wrong, i dont know distributors really well though either (anyone who would like to explain them to me?) could it be that the motor is not getting enough advance? or could it be a fuel problem? this all started when i changed an accel cap that was old with a new blue streak cap, also when it cuts out the tach bounces around like crazy

thanks guys
Old 09-23-2002, 02:02 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: high rpm cutout (SharkBit)

When you changed the cap, did you make SURE you used that ground clip to ground the coil frame to the wire and then to the 3 pin harness connector to dist base??? that's a ground for the HV coil output....
it's arching around inside if not....

another thing is to check for the two coil connections....one is red the other yellow or white...where the wires are crimped to the clips...sometimes that crimp is not so good, and can open up under loading....

GENE
Old 09-23-2002, 02:36 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

mrvette's tips are good. Also, check under coil where the connection is made to the rotor button ... also consider module may be bad ... cheap & easy to replace ... available at GM dealer or local parts house ... GM module is tough to improve on.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:51 AM
Justin79-L-82
Pro

Default Re: high rpm cutout (jackson)

i had that problem a few months ago.. turned out to be a faulty fuel pump
Old 09-23-2002, 07:33 AM
FastGlass79-85
Advanced

:seeya Remove the cap and make sure your centrifigal wieghts are free and check all connections and rotor screws are tight. You could also try reinstalling the old cap if you still have it. Sometimes new doesn't always mean good. At any rate it sounds like internal/ electrical :smash:
Old 09-23-2002, 07:52 AM
thamzid
Instructor

Default Re: high rpm cutout (FastGlass79-85)

I have the same problem but it seems to only happen in the afternoons when the temperatures are high. In the mornings when it is cool it pulls hard all the way "till the fear of death cuts in and I get out of it" So I think I may have a ignition problem also ?????
Old 09-23-2002, 09:03 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Check your fuel pressure and float height; either may be too low. Don't overlook fuel filter.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:16 AM
SharkBit
Racer

Default Re: high rpm cutout (Turbo-Jet)

update

today i took off the cap and checked everything out.

lots of carbon? buildup inside the works, but everything was ok, took it all apart, but it seems that the advance, the part under the shaft that the cap mounts to, is sorta sticky. any ideas on how to free this up? i put some stiffer springs in there also, and it seemed to help a whole lot, pulls hard to about 5 grand now. i also raised the fuel level a bit.

thanks again guys

Get notified of new replies

To high rpm cutout

Quick Reply: high rpm cutout