C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454 Update..... with pics- Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 454 Update..... with pics- Finally!

I finally figured out how to post up the pics correctly. I have the BB at home and waiting for the weather to cool off before I do the swap. The specs on the motor are:
.030"
Steel crank
Eagle rods
9.3 to one compression
Performer RPM intake
Demon 850
Comp Cam- XE274 230/236 .552"/.555"
Sanderson headers
Harland Sharp rocker arms

I hope to do the swap in October.....

Let me know what you guys think of it....

Bob

[Modified by Bob Turner, 12:50 PM 9/22/2002]
Old 09-22-2002, 04:55 PM
Toronto-C3
Advanced

Default Re: 454 Update..... with pics- Finally! (Bob Turner)

Nice looking engine. If for some reason you decide not to do the swap. I will buy the engine from you.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:05 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 454 Update..... with pics- Finally! (Toronto-C3)

Now thats an angry looking motor :reddevil ..It looks like it has alot of anger ..And it whispers"must destroy rice,MUST destroy rice"
Looking really :cool: :cool: Nice work :cheers:
Old 09-22-2002, 05:17 PM
BobJ
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks good Bob, get that thing in there! Just in time for the temp to drop around here :cheers:

Bob
Old 09-22-2002, 05:26 PM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 454 Update..... with pics- Finally! (BobJ)

I want one :cry
Old 09-22-2002, 05:39 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Default Re: 454 Update..... with pics- Finally! (PrarieShark)

What's the cure for big block envy?
Looks good. Does it ever cool off in Arizona? :lol:

Scott
Old 09-22-2002, 05:48 PM
Aaron-74
Drifting

Looks damn good. :cheers:

I wouldn't have painted the intake my self. Why did you decide to go with the shortie headers?

-Aaron
Old 09-22-2002, 06:05 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Congrats Bob, The engine looks great! You have done some fine work there for sure. I too have Sanderson headers on my 467 motor, work great and look real coooool! I just put a Holley 850dp on my motor, makes a big difference in the power department. Again, nice job on the engine, you will love the POWER!!!!
Old 09-22-2002, 06:05 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: 454 Update..... with pics- Finally! (Aaron-74)

Very :cool: !
*** A word of caution: An engine like that may wake the dead. :jester ***
Old 09-22-2002, 06:34 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice engine. I see you have the same fuel pump I have posted a question about running the pump the lines to this pump I am very courious on how you will run your fuel lines. Please share pics of this set up. :cheers:
Old 09-22-2002, 06:46 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

WoW, that enigne should be plenty powerful. What are the numbers on it? :cool:
Old 09-22-2002, 08:39 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Man, it looks good Bob. Glad you finally got it together. I got a million questions. :D

Whose heads are you using? Did you assemble it yourself? Are those SS ARP intake bolts? What did that GM Alt bracket set you back? What exhaust will you be using?

More later..... :D :chevy
Old 09-22-2002, 08:55 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: 454 Update..... with pics- Finally! (1970 Stingray)

looks great,betcha cant wait to see it in the car and running. :yesnod: good luck with it.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:41 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: 454 Update..... with pics- Finally! (pats406nitrovette)

I 2nd the request of Oldguard 7. Since I think you said 74, how do you hook up the fuel pump for the fuel return line on the stock BB setup?

Also, with the Sanderson Headers, is the rest all custom bends?

Well done - sets the mark for this winters projects.

Old 09-22-2002, 10:50 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Nice! Clean, stock-like look. I like. What hood are going to use?

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 6:52 PM 9/22/2002]
Old 09-23-2002, 12:56 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Bob,
Looking good! Did you get my email? Need some help with parts list for BB swap if you have time. My 454HO should be here later this week. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2002, 01:01 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: 454 Update..... with pics- Finally! (ORVette)

Looks great Bob. :cheers:

I bet you're anxious, I know the feeling VERY well. :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To 454 Update..... with pics- Finally!

Old 09-23-2002, 09:13 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Bob,
Congrats on a job very well done! I bet you cant wait to hear that beast thumping through the exhausts! Wait 'till you feel the torque on that BB........What are you using for a hood?
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
P.S.
Thanks again for your help on the R.O.D. conversion! If you're out this way again, please stop by- we'll tear up some Rt.3 asphalt!
:lol: :lol:
Old 09-23-2002, 05:14 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Toronto C3- Thanks for the offer but I have been waiting 5 years now to get a BB together!! Now it's your turn!!!

BB Wowbagger- Thanks for the compliments!! I hope I can beat most of the rice out there. I know I won't have the fastest car ever, so all I have to do is impress myself with it and that's good enough for me!

BobJ- Thanks!! We should do a cruise one of these days. I live down in Power Ranch (far out in Gilbert!!). Email me if you want to drive by one day and check it out in person!..... Nice '70 BTW.

Prarie Shark- What's stopping you?? Go for it!

Scott78- Thanks. I moved to AZ from San Diego and like the heat.... I would think that it will cool off around mid-October or so.....

Aaron 74- Thanks! I hope to get the engine compartment looking as nice as yours does..... Did you get your coil bracket done??

467 Ratman- Thank you! You were the one who inspired me to go with those headers. I saw the three pics you posted last Feb/Mar when you were getting ready to drop your 467 in. I am glad I went with them.

Smoked Tires- Thanks! I hope it has some guts compared to the stock L48 I have in there right now....

Oldguard 7- Thanks to you too. I am planning to run the same stainless coated fuel line (as in the pictures) down to an in-line fuel filter and then to the pump. The problem will be when I go to order those expensive fittings and making sure I am buying the correct ones. I didn't plan on spending this kind of money on this part of the motor but at least it's good insurance against a fuel fire.... I will keep you updated on what I buy...

69 Stingray- Thank you! I built this motor similiar to one that was done in Chevy High Performance. I added the roller rockers to the recipe along with some other minor details such as pocket porting of the heads, etc. They made 480hp and 500lbs. of torque or so out of it. Not as much as some of the other motors here on the forum but enough for me. It will be my first BB and I want to take it somewhat easy with it!!!

1970 Stingray-Thanks also!! I had a machine shop put it together. I haven't assembled an engine before, so I had them do it. I do have another 350 that I may try myself..... I have Eckler's side pipes, so that's what I will be mating up to the Sanderson Headers. I bought all the brackets from Paragon. They were expensive- probably around $200+ with the p/s setup. You can buy the alternator setup as a kit. I didn't want to drop this much but I do want it right!!! I did go with the ARP bolts for the heads, valve covers, pressure plate, flywheel, and motor mounts. I am not sure what he used for the rods but they may be ARP. How is your project going?? I saw the pics of the raw block a while back....

Pat's406nitrovette- Thank you. I can't wait to fire up that thing and get the cam broked in. I hope I don't have any problems with the flat tappet cam. If I do, I will have to go roller!!

bigvette1- Thank you!!! I hope I can get it in there BEFORE winter.
Regarding the hooking up the return line to the tank, Bence (from this forum) just plugged up the one on his '76, so that is what I will do as well. I don't think it will be a problem plumbing the fuel since these fuel fittings are among the best out there. I didn't want to use a rubber hose like I see on so many cars out there but I also didn't want to spend a fortune on it either! I have side pipes from Ecklers, so I decided this would be easy to bolt up instead of exhaust manifolds....

Turbo-Jet- I do like the stock look as well!! Thanks! I wanted it to look stock, so I went with the $364 Harland Sharp roller rockers that fit under the stock covers... I have an L-88 hood already on the car and plan to install the L-88 box like 1970 Stingray did...

ORVETTE- I will see if I can still access that email account tonight (09/23). (I did last week) I moved from San Diego to Gilbert, AZ, so I have a new email address- bob1974@qwest.net I will get back to you on some of the prices of the swap. Nice to hear you are going with the crate motor. I spent MORE on my buildup than what it would have costed to buy the crate!!! How are the 3.70's??? I used that money from the sale of those to you for this motor, so thanks!

Corey 68- I appreciate the comments. I am sure that we will be seeing more pics from your buildup as well. I should have a decent webpage soon. I have Frodaddy from the forum setting it up for me. Have you determined what is wrong with your C4 yet? What year is it??

MassVette- Thank you! And, no problem on the Richmond six info. My upcoming webpage will illustrate what I did to get it in there (as an shadetree mechanic in my garage). I have had an L-88 hood on the car now for 3 years and need to make it functional with this BB!!!! I can't wait to drive it!! I do plan on contacting you when I roll back to Massachusetts. My cousin lives in Plymouth, and I still know some people in Marshfield, Holbrook, Duxbury, etc. I want to eat some fried clams/lobster, etc, etc. I miss the food there. Do you live off of Exit 13 (Rt. 53)??
Old 09-23-2002, 05:37 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend says your carb is too big.

Why the 850 Demon? Dont they have a 750 Demon or a 650 double pumper? :confused:

Just trying to find more info on big blocks and carb selection ! :cheers:

Quick Reply: 454 Update..... with pics- Finally!