C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accidentally Crossed the Battery Cables 73 L48

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:50 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
unplug the 2 wire connector on the alternator and see if it dies overnight. when the charger shuts off you should get a reading of 12.75 approx. with the engine off.

So I haven't had a chance to get back down to check the car out. He has had the battery out of the car and on the tender. He hooked the battery back up to the car and unplugged the two-wire connector from the alternator (What is the purpose of this connector?), let it sit overnight and the car fired right up in the morning. He neglected to check the voltage at the battery though. So to me it's safe to assume something is awry with the alternator. I am still going to try the parasitic draw test the next time I'm down there. I'd hate for him to spend the money on a new alt and that not be the issue.

Last edited by LiteraCola; 02-06-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:51 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

The connector is attached to the internal regulator. Why not remove the alternator and take it to a local auto parts store to test it. You can then decide whether to rebuild or replace.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Does the 73 have an external voltage regulator? I had a similar problem with a car that would would completely drain the battery in a very short amount of time, the problem was the voltage regulator.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:25 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Default regulator

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
Does the 73 have an external voltage regulator? I had a similar problem with a car that would would completely drain the battery in a very short amount of time, the problem was the voltage regulator.
The regulator is internal starting in 1969
Old 11-01-2017, 10:25 AM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Not trying to bring back a dead thread, but I want to mark this resolved in case anyone finds this in a future search for the same issue! Took the alternator to "one of those auto parts stores" and had it tested. Turns out the internal regulator was bad. Swapped in a new alternator (From Ecklers) and everything is fine. I'm thinking that hooking the battery up backwards had nothing to do with the alternator being fried.

Car is currently in running order with no noticeable draw on the battery.

Jesse
Old 11-01-2017, 01:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Thanks for the follow-up feedback. Nice to hear the completion of a thread, for a change.

Alternator problem could have been faulty regulator OR shorted diode. Makes little difference, since a replacement would fix it in either case.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:22 AM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Thanks for the follow-up feedback. Nice to hear the completion of a thread, for a change.

Alternator problem could have been faulty regulator OR shorted diode. Makes little difference, since a replacement would fix it in either case.

Absolutely! If I remember correctly, both the regulator and diode trio tested bad. Oh well, all good now!

Quick Reply: Accidentally Crossed the Battery Cables 73 L48