C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moog Idler Arm Causing Stiff Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 12:54 PM
addballer696
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Moog Idler Arm Causing Stiff Steering

Rebuilt entire front suspension with moog parts, new bushings ect. The steering box is original and was not touched. All parts have been lubed. Problem is the steering now is very tight and the wheel will not return to center on turns. I'm thinking the problem is with the idler arm because it was very hard to move before bolting it on the car. Asking for any advice to loosen this thing up. Also, I've driven a couple hundred miles and still no change. A picture of me on the dragon tail trying not to die for your time. Thanks
Old 01-28-2017, 01:56 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 531 Posts

I can't see just the idler arm causing this. I think it may be a combination of things that add up to stiffness your have. Make sure your tie-rods are not binding up.

Did you go rubber or poly bushings?
Old 01-28-2017, 02:04 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 252 Posts

The idler arm should be quite stiff when new, how about your alignment....Have you got lots of castor in? Did you try moving the wheels manually after new ball joints were installed (before the drag link was installed?)

Another thing to check is the balance of the power steering valve assembly, and possibly a collapsed hose thats blocking flow.
http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...adjustment.pdf

Last edited by OMF; 01-28-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:29 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

When you changed from power steering to manual steering earlier, did you move the tie rods to the non-power hole in the lower control arms?

This tie rod is in the power steering hole. The other hole is for manual steering and requires less effort to turn (return) the wheels from straight ahead.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-28-2017, 03:28 PM
addballer696
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Replaced with poly bushings. And yes converted to manual steering before rebuilding the front end and the steering was fairly easy to turn compared to now. There is increased resistance turning the wheel with the tires off the ground than before. Good point about the tie rod steering hole however there are no separate holes on the 77. I'll disconnect the idler arm and see if the problem persists to try and localize the issue and will report back. Thanks y'all
Old 01-28-2017, 09:38 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by addballer696
Replaced with poly bushings. And yes converted to manual steering before rebuilding the front end and the steering was fairly easy to turn compared to now. There is increased resistance turning the wheel with the tires off the ground than before. Good point about the tie rod steering hole however there are no separate holes on the 77. I'll disconnect the idler arm and see if the problem persists to try and localize the issue and will report back. Thanks y'all
Good point, I forgot that in 1977 power steering became standard equipment so N41 was dropped as an option and there was no need for the second hole.

Since the steering knuckle arm is a bolt on item, it might be interesting to see if switching to the earlier arms would change the effort required significantly.

GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 01-28-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

I hate to ask this, but... Since all those joints are new, have you greased them? (they don't come greased.)
Old 01-28-2017, 10:23 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,149 Likes on 737 Posts

moving out to the outside hole will change the effort and also increase the turning radius. Larger circle when turning.

I would make sure the toe in has not changed.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:13 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
moving out to the outside hole will change the effort and also increase the turning radius. Larger circle when turning.

I would make sure the toe in has not changed.
Turning radius is controlled by the stops on the lower A-frame and the steering knuckle arm (or the tire striking the frame whichever occurs first), not by the distance from the tie-rod and the spindle centerline. The steering wheel effort will change and the turns (lock-to-lock) will change, but not the turning radius.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by addballer696
.......... the wheel will not return to center on turns.
Sounds like alignment. Neutral toe or toe out will do that. Rebuilding the box will help. They are always dry and out of adjustment.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:15 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,149 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Turning radius is controlled by the stops on the lower A-frame and the steering knuckle arm (or the tire striking the frame whichever occurs first), not by the distance from the tie-rod and the spindle centerline. The steering wheel effort will change and the turns (lock-to-lock) will change, but not the turning radius.

Good luck... GUSTO

If there is enough throw to hit the stops. On my friends "put together" 69 there was not enough throw. Never tried it on an original car.

Get notified of new replies

To Moog Idler Arm Causing Stiff Steering

Quick Reply: Moog Idler Arm Causing Stiff Steering