C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*(

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 06:22 PM
SharkGills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (Maurice)

After you got the gas and it started running rough did you notice if it was running hotter? Sounds like water in the gas. :mad
Old 09-21-2002, 10:22 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (SharkGills)

That's what I was thinking.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:52 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (Cookwithvette)

Make sure that the water pump isn't siezed. I know a guy who thought his engine siezed and rebuilt the 454. It did the same thing when he went to start the new engine. It ended up being a stuck water pump.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:13 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (Maurice)

If you blew a head gasket, your car would run like a pig with water leaking into the combustion chamber. If water leaked into your cylinders while it was parked it won't turn over either, at least not without bending a connecting rod. Water does not compress!

Chuck
Old 09-22-2002, 12:25 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Ouch. That's not sounding good. i don't like the conditions under which it died. Something mechanically wrong was happening inside the engine. I'm guessing that it was a bearing that decided to go for a spin. It finally decided to give up the ghost and seize on you. That's my vote anyhow. Let us know what you find.

Dave
Old 09-22-2002, 02:03 AM
Bob in Dallas
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (ddecart)

Sure sounds like you may have a hydraulic lock. The excessive use of fuel is an indicator that the carb could be leaking down into the engine. A cylinder with the intake valve open would fill with fuel, and lock the engine tight.

Pull the plugs first and look for evidence of a hydraulic lock. If the engine turns with the plugs out, you probably dodged a bullet. If this is it, make sure toi change the oil and repair the carb.

Good Luck.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:10 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 564 Likes on 350 Posts

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (Bob in Dallas)

Maurice mentioned in his post that he pulled all the plugs and tried to turn it over. If there was water in any of the cylinders, with the plugs out, it would have come out of the plug hole...so....with no compression, there can be no hydro-lock. :) Chuck
Old 09-22-2002, 06:11 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

:( You've got me in suspense, but I really hope it turns out to be something simple like the timing chain. Good luck. (I love to come give a hand if you could cover the flight... :D )
Old 09-22-2002, 06:51 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (SharkGills)

It wasn't running any hotter when it was running poorly. When I pulled the spark plugs they all had a nice coat of soot from running a bit rich.

I will check the water pump tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

I thought about a head gasket but the plugs were still dirty, someone told me my spark plug(s) would be shiny new. All had a bit of soot on them.

Ok, now for my stupid question, how would blowing a head gasket seize the engine while trying to start it? The engine turned over a couple of times before the small "boom" occured
Old 09-22-2002, 06:53 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (Turbo-Jet)

:( You've got me in suspense, but I really hope it turns out to be something simple like the timing chain. Good luck. (I love to come give a hand if you could cover the flight... :D )
I was considering something like that.... free airfare for someone to come help diagnose / pull / repair / rebuild the engine. I think it would be much cheaper than taking it to a shop. :D :D :D
Old 09-22-2002, 07:54 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like you have some terminal engine damage inside. :(

[Modified by Twinnie, 7:22 AM 9/22/2002]
Old 09-22-2002, 11:48 AM
Scott78
Drifting

Ok, now for my stupid question, how would blowing a head gasket seize the engine while trying to start it?
It's possible if the coolant fills the cylinder you'll get hydraulic lock, since fluid is not as compressable as gas.

Scott
Old 09-22-2002, 02:29 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (Scott78)

Scott's right. I had a '69 Olds 442 that blew a head gasket. Sucked water into two or three clyinders ( don't remember, it's been a while ) The starter would just hum.
But I pulled the plugs and let me tell you it made a fine water pump! :lol: Got my brother soaking wet!

So I don't thinks a cracked head / gasket.

I think he carb float stuck and it was dumping fuel. the massive amounts of fuel washed the oil off the clyinder walls and a piston overheated and welded itself into the clyinder.....

Or a piston just decided to sieze for some other reason!
Old 09-22-2002, 03:21 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (427V8)

could it be a lightly bent rod and the piston got stuck on the up stroke?

Just an idea...

Good luck to you man :cheers:
Old 09-22-2002, 06:03 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (427V8)

Scott's right. I had a '69 Olds 442 that blew a head gasket. Sucked water into two or three clyinders ( don't remember, it's been a while ) The starter would just hum.
But I pulled the plugs and let me tell you it made a fine water pump! :lol: Got my brother soaking wet!

So I don't thinks a cracked head / gasket.

I think he carb float stuck and it was dumping fuel. the massive amounts of fuel washed the oil off the clyinder walls and a piston overheated and welded itself into the clyinder.....

Or a piston just decided to sieze for some other reason!
:yesnod:
Old 09-22-2002, 09:52 PM
soundguy
Racer

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (moosie982)

I'm casting my vote for broken timing chain/gear. The inability to idle and poor mileage is a good indication of having 'jumped time'. The fact that it went away again before the engine failed entirely sounds consistent. If the top sprocket was the stock aluminum & nylon type, the normal condition in old age is that all the nylon tooth 'caps' break off and only the smaller aluminum 'skeleton' is left. It's small enough to allow the chain to jump to a retarded state on a hard acceleration and on occasion, to jump back again during hard deceleration. If left uncorrected, this state is usually followed by either the complete break-up of the top sprocket and subsequent 'wadding up' of the chain around the crank sprocket -OR- the chain jumping several teeth at once, resulting in valve-to-piston contact followed by total anihilation of several reciprocating engine parts.

Good luck...I don't envy you, no matter what the problem turns out to be.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Update if it helps anybody.

Just drained the oil and it smelled very gasoline'ish. Didn't notice any metal parts or shavings in the oil. The oil was black.

My plan of action is to start at the top and work my way down. I am going to pull the intake a heads, then if I have to pull the engine, I will do that next. Anybody got a better plan?

Get notified of new replies

To OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*(

Old 09-23-2002, 04:51 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*( (73Ken73)

Make sure that the water pump isn't siezed. I know a guy who thought his engine siezed and rebuilt the 454. It did the same thing when he went to start the new engine. It ended up being a stuck water pump.
How do you check for a siezed water pump? I loosened the belts and the water pump pulley spun around ok.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:25 AM
jyounane
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

When you pull the intake manifold, you can look into timing case area and see the top of the cam sprocket. It's easy to see if the cam sprocket is destroyed.

Don't ask me how I know!

good luck,

Joe
Old 09-23-2002, 08:45 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

How do you check for a siezed water pump? I loosened the belts and the water pump pulley spun around ok.
Sounds like it is ok. If the pump failed, there would also likely be coolant dripping from weep hole.

I guess you're down to
-broken timing chain
-bottom end :(

Quick Reply: OUCH - big engine problems, will not turnover even by hand :*(