C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing the SPAL elec. fan thing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 06:47 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Doing the SPAL elec. fan thing.

I'm going to pick up dual 11" SPALs sometime soon. I'm going to try and wire them as simply as possible--relay and an on/off switch in the cockpit that will allow them to run with the engine on or off.

I'm a 'tard when it comes to electrical stuff. Somebody pat me on the head and tell me that it's easy and if I take my time the install will go OK and there won't be any fires.

Please?

(Or maybe there's a volthead in OC who will wire it up for me in exchange for many beers?)
Old 09-20-2002, 07:02 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Doing the SPAL elec. fan thing. (The Dude)

Got a set of flex-a-lites hard wired in. No biggie to wire em up. Just run the power led off one of the ign connections on your fuse box. It will then shut off whne the key is off but you can still manually shut it off while the key is on. I like the way it gets rid of the shroud and fan, really opens up the area and makes it look better in my opinion.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:29 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Doing the SPAL elec. fan thing. (Fevre)

Which model Spal setup are you getting and where are you getting it from?

I'm looking into getting the same thing.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is the simplest way to do it, but beware that forgetting to turn them on at the wrong time can be hazardous to your engines health! The Ignition idea is good if thats the way you go. I'm saving up for DeWitt's SPAL setup with the shroud and wiring system so I can run my A/C in the desert and install a front upper control arm cross brace. Around $500.- give or take...

Hans
Old 09-20-2002, 07:55 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

the 80's cars are heavy on power/ Seats, windows.. yada.. with electric fans, should a beefier alternator be in order?
Old 09-20-2002, 08:35 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Default Re: Doing the SPAL elec. fan thing. (phoenix)

Which model Spal setup are you getting and where are you getting it from?

I'm looking into getting the same thing.
Dual 11-inch puller. 2780 CFM. The model number I have is 30100846. It covers an area about 23.5" x 16.25". Buying from Mattson's Radiator in Stanton, Calif.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:27 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Make sure you use TWO relays; one for each fan. They sent me ONE in the installation kit. It melted several times, overheating the engine, before I figured out that the fans draw a lot more peak amperage than their single 'supplied' relay will tolerate. Other than that, the setup is flawless, and flows MUCH more air than any other electric fan setup available for this application. My 2c.

:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 09-21-2002, 11:04 AM
Rods77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Doing the SPAL elec. fan thing. (MassVette)

Jumping on the coattails of MassVette......Relays are a must.. You may want to get something beefier than the 30amp ones found everywere. I had a lengthly conversation with the tech at BE Cool and he said they used the dual 11" spals on some corporate show vehicals (stereo vehicals that travel from show to show) and they used the 30 amp relays in there wiring kit at first. About 6 months into the tour the relays cooked so they went to 40 amp and have had no trouble. He said 40 amp is what they include in the wiring kit you can buy with the spal fans.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:06 AM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can use wire strippers, then you will be ok.
I too have dual spall 11". My set-up is wired to turn on when the ignition is on.
The most "mystfying" thing would be the relays. Every relay in the world is made with the same numeric code. If you understand the code then you are gravey.
Underneath the relay there are pins with numbers next to them.
Pin 87= the 12v High amperage input (from the battery, or off the alt).
Pin 30/51 = the 12 high amperage output (goes to the fan).
pin 85 = simple ground wire.
Pin 86= 12v low amperage "turn-on" wire. Meaning when this wire gets 12v of juice (high or low amperage), the relay opens up the flood gates for pin 87 and the High amperage juice contunes on out through pin 30/51.

If you can folow this concept, then you are more than capable of doing the job your self.

good luck, and rember "do not fry bacaon in the nude"
chad

Old 09-21-2002, 12:19 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

I used the wiring kit from BeCool. There is one part that has everything (temp sensor, relay, etc) and a second without the temp sensor. What you end up with is a circuit for each fan with a separate realy and fuse. The temp sensor turns the fans on at 195 and off at 185. The relays are only energized when the iginition is on so the fans shut off when the car is off. Definitely worth the $$$. Here is the wiring diagram.

For the main 12V power source, I attached the power leads to the starter terminal with the big positive battery lead.

BTW: The Spals are pretty heavy. Have you given any consideration to mounting? You don't want to use the cheap thru the radiator ties because you will eventually damage the core.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:12 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Default Re: Doing the SPAL elec. fan thing. (SteveG75)

OK.

That wiring diagram looks pretty straightforward--even a monkey like me ought to be able to get that done. That diagram makes me think the fan will run both with the engine running (key in the "Run" position) and with the engine off with the key in either "ACC" position.

Interesting about the relay issue. I'll ask the Mattsons guy about that tomorrow. I definitely want to do this only once.

Get notified of new replies

To Doing the SPAL elec. fan thing.

Quick Reply: Doing the SPAL elec. fan thing.