C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove wood grain from shifter console

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Remove wood grain from shifter console

When I bought this car, it came with a new wood grain piece for the shifter console. Also came with a new 4 speed shifter position plate and also the console engine info plate.

Whats the best way to remove these items....just get a corner up and pull it off ? What will dissolve the old glue used to retain the above ?

Thanks
8Valve
Old 12-27-2016, 08:38 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by 8valve
When I bought this car, it came with a new wood grain piece for the shifter console. Also came with a new 4 speed shifter position plate and also the console engine info plate.

Whats the best way to remove these items....just get a corner up and pull it off ? What will dissolve the old glue used to retain the above ?

Thanks
8Valve
Most of those use 2 sided tape. Just pull it off. Use alcohol for gummy residue. Just be careful around lettering, etc.
Most guys put them on when the console is all scratched up, so, expect to buy a new one anyhow.
My 2 cents.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:49 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Given what you say I believe your plates are painted pot metal and I seriously doubt that you will be able to remove the wood grain without needing to refinish. Steam is the gentlest thing I can imagine to remove the wood and adhesive--along with a dull plastic scraper steam may remove nearly everything. Then a strong detergent like 409, Fantastik or Simple Green. The next up the ladder is a citrus based solvent like "Goo Gone". After those you're into strong solvents like lacquer thinner, acetone, "paint remover" and lye with increasing certainty of removing the original finishes to include the bright accents.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I thought he was talking about the wood grain piece. My bad.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:59 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Model year? How about a pic of what you have? Some of the 77-82 kits are actual wood veneer. Usually the 68-76 kits are stick on.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:15 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
The original shift pattern plate and data plates used psa (pressure sensitive adhesive) to hold them in place.
If there are traces of it remaining after you pry them off I think using alcohol is a good way to remove it.
Be careful you don't bend the data plate… they're pretty thin.
Regards,
Alan

New plates with psa.

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-28-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:52 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

my wife's '76 had a grungy wood grain kit on it when I got it. I just peeled it off and used goo-gone to clean up the residue. as stated above, if it didn't look bad before the wood grain, it will after you remove it as whatever remaining paint/finish is left will come up as well.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:46 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

My automatic 75 had one. I just yanked the center piece and data plate off. My console plate has a pebble finish under the woodgrain and the whole thing is chromed. I cleaned the glue off with acetone. I ended up painting the console black because the reflection off the chrome was killer.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:59 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 8valve

Thanks
8Valve
Hello 8Valve,
Not sure what year car you are asking about, but here's a description with some pics of what I did on my 73. The wood grain insert on my console was cracked and split from age. My console trim plate was installed by a previous owner way back in the 90's so it had the original wood grain insert. The oem stuff was really more like a wood veneer unlike the newer repros.My car originally would not have had the deluxe wood grain trim so I wanted to remove it anyway.
All you need to do is get one corner started and gradually pull up, it should come off fairly easy. You could also use a blow dryer to heat the adhesive if it is giving you trouble. The same for the data plate. The shift plate shouldn't be too bad underneath.( Note: The shift plate will be exactly the same as those found on all non- deluxe interior cars. )You could use some mild solvents to remove the adhesive residue. My console 4 speed shift pattern indicator had some scratches, so I decided to freshen up and restore the entire plate. Here are some photos of the process I used to restore it.
Hope this helps you and others wanting to do this restoration
Regards,
Jimmy
Attached Images  

Last edited by Tooch1; 12-29-2016 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Here's what the OEM wood grain looked like.
Attached Images    
Old 12-28-2016, 10:08 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

The console plate must be cleaned of all adhesive and dirt before painting. If your chrome trim edges are free of nicks or damage you can restore the plate to " like new" condition. If you don't need to remove your data plate, you must carefully mask it off. I had to remove mine because it wasn't correct for my L48. You can not mask the chrome edges though. It would be impossible. Just paint the entire plate with satin black. Tip: apply some hand lotion with a q-tip to the chrome edges before paint. Afterwards, you can rub off most of the paint from these edges. I included a photo of the products I used.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Tooch1; 12-28-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

I used a small dull flat screw driver ( see photo below) to carefully remove the black paint from the chrome edges. ( very little came off by just rubbing, but the lotion does keep the paint from adhering too well). You could try this step with a razor blade, but I was afraid to scratch the chrome.
This process takes a great deal of patience, but it's a fun do it yourself project. It will save you a ton of $$$$ for a new shifter plate. You could easily do this to an automatic plate too!
Attached Images   
Old 12-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Tooch,
Nice!
Regards,
Alan
The following users liked this post:
Tooch1 (12-29-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 11:22 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Tooch - did you make that screwdriver? if so what'd you use for the ferrule? I've made quite a few on the lathe and always on the lookout for stuff to use on the end of the handle...copper or brass tube is kinda boring after a while...

sorry to go off topic.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:19 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys for the info. The Car is a 74 with deluxe interior. The shifter plate wood grain is a pressure sensitive vinyl of some type. Along with the car came a new vinyl wood grain, shift pattern and engine info plates. I will work them off with a heat gun and then try cleaning with alcohol . Appreciate the help

8Valve
Old 12-29-2016, 12:05 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gungatim
Tooch - did you make that screwdriver? if so what'd you use for the ferrule? I've made quite a few on the lathe and always on the lookout for stuff to use on the end of the handle...copper or brass tube is kinda boring after a while...

sorry to go off topic.
No I didn't make the handle. I'm pretty sure it was in a box lot of antique advertising tins I purchased years ago at an antique auction. It was perfect for this job, because of its small size and the tip was rather dull so as not to scratch the chrome edges. It was perfect for this job.
Regards,
Tooch.

Last edited by Tooch1; 12-29-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

FYI...

An X-Acto hobby knife with angled razor blade insert does the job of 'shaving' off unwanted paint from the chrome edging very nicely. You want to do that before the paint sets up hard (but not when it is wet) and you want to hold the edge at a shallow angle to the part surface. But, it will not 'dig' into the chrome, and it really does a good job.

The only 'downside' is that it makes shavings. And, it is better to just blow off what will leave on its own and leave the rest until the paint is cured pretty well. Then you can just brush off any excess shavings. If you try to 'wipe' the shavings off, it will make a mess of the fresh paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Remove wood grain from shifter console

Quick Reply: Remove wood grain from shifter console