C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do?????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 01:36 AM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do?????????

Well, here's the deal: A friend at work has a 68 cutlass convertable he said he might be interested in trading for my vette. the cutlass has a new top but is a "janer" and needs paint. It also only has a 350. Now my vette is only a 75 so it doesn't rank among the most collectable vettes ever made, not even close. On the other hand, the olds might be worth more in the long run. A decent resoration on a cutlass convertable would be worth more than a decent restoration on a 75 T. I've always liked the 68s but, heavens, it doesn't even have buckets. The vette is rough cosmetically but the motor trans and rear have just recently been done and it runs great. Emotion says stick with the vette, wisdom says you wont come across too many 68 cutlass convertables in your life. Gimme some different viewpoints folks. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:43 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (BubbaJJ)

You don't want the cutlass...chicks dig Corvettes.........Nuff said :D
Old 09-19-2002, 01:46 AM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (Desertdawg)

What's a "janer"??
Old 09-19-2002, 01:47 AM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (KENS78SILVERANNIV)

"janer" = plane jane. bench seat, manual windows, no AC etc, etc.......
Old 09-19-2002, 01:48 AM
4_inch_Bore
Instructor

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (BubbaJJ)

"Emotion says stick with the vette, wisdom says you wont come across too many 68 cutlass convertables in your life."

There ain't a whole helluva lot of wisdom in this hobby. You do what you want. That's what makes it fun.

P.S. Did you ever work on my car, Bubba? :D
Old 09-19-2002, 03:53 AM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (4_inch_Bore)

Well you will do what you want, but my saying is
A: you can save your money, you could invest, you could buy plane jane rare cars, you could experience no fun in life. and you could then die and give it all back to government.
Or B: DO whats your HEART feels, and STICK WITH THE VETT and enjoy it, have fun and some day die a happy man with no regrets.

what matters most Financial Value, or Personal Value?

but once again thats just my thoughts.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:28 AM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (WashingtonRacer)

i also love the early cutlass cars...but trading one for a vette, even if the cutlass is worth more? don't think so...remember that guy wants your vette....any vette is better than a cutlass...go with your heart and keep the vette.

'74 L-48 - 4 speed
Old 09-19-2002, 09:46 AM
riorata
Instructor

I do not believe that there was one bad car made in '68. Mustang, Cougar, Cuda, Super Bee, Charger, Dart, Challenger, 442 Olds, Cutlass, Chevelle, GTO, heck even my Grandmas Pontiac Catalina! Kind of odd a "janer" Vert. Couldn't imagine bench seats. Go with what you like, but remember; a Vette makes 'em wet :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

River Rat :cheers:
Old 09-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (eleven79)

Vette! :yesnod:
Old 09-19-2002, 11:37 AM
a454corvette
Racer

This'll be an unpopular view, but...

Depends on what you want. If the Cutlass is to fix up for resale, as a means to move to a more "desirable" vette, that might be the way to go.

Of course, if the '75 is what you like/want, I'd stay with it. Why start over if you're going to aim for the same goal.

Personally, I don't think a 68 bench seat Cutlass is a high demand car, even being a 'vert. 442 maybe, but a base Cutlass probably not.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:57 AM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (a454corvette)

I personally think any vette would be better. But then again, Im 23 yrs old. Big cars don't impress me at all.

The Vette will always be a cooler car IMO. :cheers:
Old 09-19-2002, 12:21 PM
Steve Adkins
Drifting

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (flood)

Personal value means more to me that finacial value. What ever makes you the happiest is what you should do. Who cares if its not worth that much. You only live once, enjoy as much as you can! :cheers:
Old 09-19-2002, 01:38 PM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (Steve Adkins)

I had a 1970 cutlass supreme convertible before I got the 79 corvette. Actually had them both till I sold the cutlass..thinking I didnt need it since I have the vette but for little amount of money I got for the cutlass..I should have kept it and had both cars oh well..live and learn.

But do what you think is best..you do not live forever..enjoy whatever you do.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:50 PM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (GreyGhost)

Im going out the door now to go get a closer look. Maybe all of this agonizing will be for nothing. If I do keep the vette I've already decided to put the 454 in my Camaro in it. So, if I don't do the trade, I'll be in the market for a BB power steering bracket and alt mounts. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:06 PM
verskel
Safety Car

I'd pass on the Cutlass.....if it was a '66 Chevelle, then "maybe"....but a Cutlass ???

You could always sell the '75 & buy an earlier C3 like a '68 ! :jester
Old 09-19-2002, 04:18 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (flood)

But then again, Im 23 yrs old. Big cars don't impress me at all.
But back then the Cutlass was considered the Intermediate :) It was not the big car.

tom...
Old 09-19-2002, 07:57 PM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (Tom73)

Well, I'm leaning toward doing the deal. The olds is a 72 not a 68. It has a new top that looks good and new interior, including carpet. the body is rough but the bumpers are straight. No cracks on the dash or steering wheel and it has a complete set of 14" rally wheels. Somewhere along the line someone put duel exaust on it. It does have power brakes and steering but no AC or electric windows. It's one of those cars that actually looks good as a convertable. Crud, i hate making decisions like this.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do?????????

Old 09-19-2002, 09:12 PM
Rubyred
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now my vette is only a 75 so it doesn't rank among the most collectable vettes ever made, not even close.
For what it is worth, don't get so defensive about "only a 75". Speaking as someone who has a 75, 63 SWC and a 93 Ruby, the 75 is a fine car in its own right!.

First of all, most of the horsepower difference in not really felt since it is up around 5,000 rpms and you don't have to go there anyway. You have the same basic suspension that all of the other 63 to 82 models. The basic body of the 68 to 82 (you can't see the chrome bumpers from behind the wheel anyway).

My recommedation, enjoy the 75 and ignore those Vette snobs that may give you any sh_t.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:14 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

"They don't write songs about Cutlasses"?? :D
Old 09-19-2002, 10:09 PM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Default Re: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do????????? (Chris@VetteFinders)

:lol: yeah, I hear that Chris. My 75 is solidly in the 14s for now so I don't worry about vette snobs given me any poopie. The more I think about it, the more I want to keep the vette now. Indecision indecision... :(

Quick Reply: I'm experiencing a Corvette Dilema, What should I do?????????