C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 09:06 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged?

I'm getting ready to get a 383 stroker kit for my engine. I want it to be able to rev safely to 6500, and while I'm doing it I might as well make it so it's strong enough to handle some nitrous. Even if I decide not to get nitrous I'd like to know that I can run it safely if I want in the future. I def. wanna get forged pistons and rods, but is it necessary to get a forged crank as well or are the cast steel ones pretty strong? How about hyper pistons instead of forged. Is getting all forged rotating assembly overkill? What are some combos?
Old 09-17-2002, 09:27 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: 383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged? (TravMsns)

It sounds like you're not sure what you want to ultimately do with this engine. If that's the case I would vote for overbuilding it now so it will hold up to pretty much anything you throw at it. If you want it to live with nitrous and be able to rev safely to 6500 I'd say go with a forged crank and forged pistons. I'd go with a good set of rods and ARP bolts. Also pay attention to the valvetrain if you want it to live at those rpm. You'll probably get more opinions in the Engine Mods section.

Quick Reply: 383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged?