C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with rear suspension/wheel combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 02:15 PM
dgheinen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help with rear suspension/wheel combo

I just installed longer leaf spring bolts from a C4 on the back end of my 78 to be able to lower the back end to a custom ride height. I also installed a new set of 18 inch wheels, and they sit about 3/4" too close to the rear suspension. In order to avoid making contact with the rear leaf spring, I had to tighten the nuts on either side of the leaf spring, raising the back end of the car again (to about stock height). Besides longer studs & a spacer, what options do I have to bring the car back down and avoid the rear leaf spring? I was looking at offset trailing arms, but I'm hoping to avoid pushing the wheels outboard any more, because they are almost perfectly flush with the body right now, and I would like to keep it from protruding. Are the composite leaf springs any narrower than the steel ones? Right now everything is doable, but I would really like to be able to lower the back end again. Thanks so much for the help!

Damon
Old 11-05-2016, 02:30 PM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can buy a shorter spring, read this post...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-vbp-one.html

Last edited by stingraymax; 11-05-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

You can also shorten your spring if you're a masochist like me. Dismantle the spring, cut one end off the main leaf and make a new hole in it, then redrill the centre hole and reassemble. Drilling spring steel is fun, but it's certainly doable. Fair bit of work, but basically free...

Last edited by Metalhead140; 11-07-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Thought I'd post my pm to the OP for the benefit of anyone reading this in future:

Originally Posted by dgheinen
I've been thinking alot about what you said about shortening a leaf spring. Do you only cut one side, and then offset the center point of the leaf spring? Or do you just cut both sides short and redrill both holes on the sides?
Hey mate,

Take the spring apart. Then cut one side of the main leaf (longest leaf), make a new hole, and install the cup that holds the bushing on the bolt. Then drill a new centre hole (again in main leaf only) centred between the 2 spring bolt holes, and reassemble the spring. For the spring bolt hole, I drilled it to ~1/2" from memory, then opened it up to the right size with a carbide burr on my die grinder. There's a bunch of threads on here about doing this, a quick search found this one, but I remember when I was planning to do it that there were others: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ring-pics.html

I haven't got pics of the whole process, but I do have these:

New hole cut next to old hole, spring bolt cup sitting in place:

Modified spring end complete:

Reassembled, clearance to my 17"x9.5" 5.05" backspace wheels:

Hope that helps!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:51 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I don't think that offset trailing arms will change where the wheel is in relationship to the spring anyway.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:29 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
You can also shorten your spring if you're a masochist like me. Dismantle the spring, cut one end off the main leaf and make a new hole in it, then redrill the centre hole and reassemble. Drilling spring steel is fun, but it's certainly doable. Fair bit of work, but basically free...
I'm thinking that will increase the spring rate a bit. Was there any difference in the ride quality? I was considering doing the same thing.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:18 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Originally Posted by brent319
I don't think that offset trailing arms will change where the wheel is in relationship to the spring anyway.
Correct.
Originally Posted by resdoggie
I'm thinking that will increase the spring rate a bit. Was there any difference in the ride quality? I was considering doing the same thing.
Yes, theory says that it should have stiffened the spring slightly, but I think the change would be minor given it's only a very slight stiffening of a single leaf with the rest of the spring pack unchanged. Impossible to say in my case if that particular change affected ride quality, as I also rebuilt the rear suspension with new poly bushes, new Bilstein shocks and lowered the inner strut rod pivot points, and of course the new wheels and tyres at the same time... But I doubt it would make much difference. My car both rode and handled much better after the combined set of changes.

I believe you can buy a shortened main leaf also to save the effort in modifying the leaf. I should have mentioned - I wouldn't recommend attempting to drill the leaf without a drill press.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 11-24-2016 at 07:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
resdoggie (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 07:47 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Did you need to do any trimming with the next leaf above the one you drilled?
Old 11-24-2016, 07:57 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Nope, i didn't. Though obviously if you get carried away with shortening it then it's possible I guess.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:03 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Thanks, mate!
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (11-24-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 01:31 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dgheinen
I just installed longer leaf spring bolts from a C4 on the back end of my 78 to be able to lower the back end to a custom ride height. I also installed a new set of 18 inch wheels, and they sit about 3/4" too close to the rear suspension. In order to avoid making contact with the rear leaf spring, I had to tighten the nuts on either side of the leaf spring, raising the back end of the car again (to about stock height). Besides longer studs & a spacer, what options do I have to bring the car back down and avoid the rear leaf spring? I was looking at offset trailing arms, but I'm hoping to avoid pushing the wheels outboard any more, because they are almost perfectly flush with the body right now, and I would like to keep it from protruding. Are the composite leaf springs any narrower than the steel ones? Right now everything is doable, but I would really like to be able to lower the back end again. Thanks so much for the help!

Damon
I see a major safety issue with bolts this long , what if your rear tire goes flat??? the bolt will hit the ground first and lead to who knows what damage. I would investigate why your car needs to be lowered so much in the rear. Are the rear tires shorter than stock? rear leaf spring with incorrect arch?

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help with rear suspension/wheel combo

Quick Reply: Need some help with rear suspension/wheel combo