C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion to Fuel Injection questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:07 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Conversion to Fuel Injection questions

Now that The RestoMod is completely over and I'm out of the warranty on my ZZ5,I'm ready to move on to the fuel injection phase.What are the best systems out there that forum members have used and are happy with? I have a new fuel tank that I have no interest in modifying and would like to know if there is a tank ready to accept a internal pump and mounts just like the original . also I would like to know if I will be able to use my new current SS fuel lines as also return line too. I very briefly looked at a system yesterday online and noticed that it included hoses for inlet and return.. I 'm not too excited about using a lot of hose as a complete fuel line. I would like a system that just requires the removal of the carburator and retain the intake. also would like a internal pump that has the sender to work with a original fuel gauge. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:41 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Tanksinc.com for your tank. From what I see 3/8" supply and return are required. There are also header tanks with high pressure pumps that can be used allowing you to use standard tank and mechanical pump to supply fuel to it.
The following users liked this post:
redcruz1120 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

What's you budget?

Nicest tank is the Rock Valley custom stainless steel. Many internal baffles, internal EFI pump, bolts up like stock. But it will run you over $1K.

For a little over 1/2 that they offer a modified stock tank.

As for which EFI system is the best that's impossible to say as no one on here has bought every single system on the market and compared them. I'm running the Holley HP and think it's a very capable system.
redcruz1120 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 09:02 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Two options for using your existing tank that shouldn't lead to fuel starvation are - Holley Hydramat (https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/) and using a C5 regulator which has a built in rtn. Haven't heard from anyone using this system but a Holley tech told me to expect it to last 7-9 yrs (possibly less). There is a '65 owner that is using a C5 regulator which has a built in rtn. I would stay away from the FiTech Fuel Command Centre given all the issues that have been reported on various forums.
redcruz1120 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 03:53 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Another C5 FPR with tanks inc tank + Holley Terminator EFI
Nick
The following 2 users liked this post by dembo:
gdh (09-27-2016), redcruz1120 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:24 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dembo
Another C5 FPR with tanks inc tank + Holley Terminator EFI
Nick
I like what I see!! What about the fuel lines? Will I be able to use my recently replace SS feed and return lines?.. What exactly is a C5 FPR?. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:35 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

The Holley Sniper launches in 3 days and is going to be pretty hard to beat for value TPI system. It's got an integrated fuel pressure regulator and the ECU is actually built into the throttle body which makes wiring and running hoses dead simple.

If you want you can also expand it to support ignition control later, too.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-510

For $999 it's a steal, but obviously no one has actually used one yet.

WAY less popular and quite a bit more expensive, but I really like the Edelbrock E-street 2 EFI system, too. -You communicate with it over bluetooth using any Android phone or tablet- you can even use an Android Auto stereo with touch screen to view and control your EFI then; being able to just use a table and an app over bluetooth seems way more modern than using a wired GPS-style touch screen, IMHO.

Adam
redcruz1120 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 02:56 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Heya,

C5 FPR = C5 Corvette fuel pressure regulator (and filter) :
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...MobileSwitchNo
The advantage is that you don't have to use a 'normal' fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay and run a return line to the tank as the hard line is too small.
So from the fuel pump unit you have two lines going to the FPR, one feed and one return. (The hard lines you see in the picture I made myself).
The FPR has one outlet. From here I used a teflon braided pre crimped hose (straight end and a 180° end) to the 3/8 hard line. On the hardl line I used a Swagelok coupling 6An to 3/8 : http://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/P...t=SS-600-6-6AN
With the tank out there's enough room to get a small tube cutter on the hard line and cut of the bubble.
The same coupling is used in the engine compartment with another pre crimped hose (90° end and a straight end). The hoses came from Pegasus racing. Very good quality and no fuel odor.
The bracket to support the FPR I had welded on (simple L shape)
The original fuel return line is capped of.
When the fuel tank is installed there's enough room in between the tank and the rear bulkhead to disconnect the fuel lines and replace the FPR. I had to do it as the unit I bought from tanks inc put out too much fuel pressure. The ones from WIX or Delco are more reliable.
Make sure the system you choose can handle 56 psi because that's the fixed output of the FPR.
I went for this setup as I don't want flexible fuel lines underneath the car nor a fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay.
Nick

Last edited by dembo; 09-27-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:40 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
The Holley Sniper launches in 3 days and is going to be pretty hard to beat for value TPI system. It's got an integrated fuel pressure regulator and the ECU is actually built into the throttle body which makes wiring and running hoses dead simple.

If you want you can also expand it to support ignition control later, too.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-510

For $999 it's a steal, but obviously no one has actually used one yet.

WAY less popular and quite a bit more expensive, but I really like the Edelbrock E-street 2 EFI system, too. -You communicate with it over bluetooth using any Android phone or tablet- you can even use an Android Auto stereo with touch screen to view and control your EFI then; being able to just use a table and an app over bluetooth seems way more modern than using a wired GPS-style touch screen, IMHO.

Adam
Thank you! I did some reading on the sniper system . Looks like something I would like to use. I just would hate to be one of the first to buy without having read user reviews. Thanks again
Old 09-27-2016, 04:43 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dembo
Heya,

C5 FPR = C5 Corvette fuel pressure regulator (and filter) :
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...MobileSwitchNo
The advantage is that you don't have to use a 'normal' fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay and run a return line to the tank as the hard line is too small.
So from the fuel pump unit you have two lines going to the FPR, one feed and one return. (The hard lines you see in the picture I made myself).
The FPR has one outlet. From here I used a teflon braided pre crimped hose (straight end and a 180° end) to the 3/8 hard line. On the hardl line I used a Swagelok coupling 6An to 3/8 : http://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/P...t=SS-600-6-6AN
With the tank out there's enough room to get a small tube cutter on the hard line and cut of the bubble.
The same coupling is used in the engine compartment with another pre crimped hose (90° end and a straight end). The hoses came from Pegasus racing. Very good quality and no fuel odor.
The bracket to support the FPR I had welded on (simple L shape)
The original fuel return line is capped of.
When the fuel tank is installed there's enough room in between the tank and the rear bulkhead to disconnect the fuel lines and replace the FPR. I had to do it as the unit I bought from tanks inc put out too much fuel pressure. The ones from WIX or Delco are more reliable.
Make sure the system you choose can handle 56 psi because that's the fixed output of the FPR.
I went for this setup as I don't want flexible fuel lines underneath the car nor a fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay.
Nick
Wow!1 That is exactly what I had in mind. No visible rugulator in my engine bay and to minimize the amount of flex hose. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the process you went through. I will definitely save it! Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Conversion to Fuel Injection questions

Quick Reply: Conversion to Fuel Injection questions