C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What yrs did cooling improve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 AM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. My '81 shipping weight was 3,225lbs.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:02 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

32-3300 isnt bad compared to whats out there these days
Unless I can hook into a 75 or older probably going to be close to stock it will never be a powerhouse, the Camino takes care of that itch though

Juggling buying/selling a few vehicles to get into a C3 see what plays out here this next week.

It's time to buy one and have some fun.
Oh I will, just dont want to borrow money til one of mine sells. Right one maybe. Have a member looking at one next week, 73 here looks somwheat appealing, plus another a 78 low mile silver I really want..like I said we shall see. I want em all lol
Mainly just for going to work a few times a week to take the boredom out of it. Something that looks cool but not so nice I have to worry about and can leave outside at home (apt)

Cant bring myself to buy a 4 cyl commuter car, 20 min ea way of V8 hum preps me for a night of work

Doesnt really matter what yr I wind up with, condition/price will be the judge otherwise Id have a 70 4 spd, cant bring myself to sell the Camino unless someone paid the money. Last time I brought it to work wasnt 5 min til people were pulling on the door handle like they were trying to tear it off the car, sitting on the hood, etc.

Last edited by cv67; 09-16-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:40 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Just to be clear again, I looked up the weights of a 69 C3 350 and 427 cars and was shocked that a similarly equipped 69 C3 had weights for the SBC 69 that were VERY SIMILAR to the late 70's C3 (78/79's are often touted as being so much heavier than the earlier C3's)...NOT TRUE! The 427's are much heavier than a 78/79 C3 4 speed: Again, please go to:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...t-Corvette.pdf

For accurate GM information on our cars!

Shipping weight for these cars is WITHOUT any fluids...Add about 150 lbs for full tank of gas, oil and coolant.

The DRY shipping weight of a 69 SBC C3 is 3250 lbs with standard features ONLY. The dry shipping weight of a 78 L-82 4 speed is 3,400 lbs BUT has many more standard features. Start adding features like Power brakes (+20 lbs), Tilt steering column (+20), Wheel covers (+15 lbs), Automatic (+65 lbs), AC (+100 lbs), Power Steering (+26 lbs) to the 69 C3 and BINGO the weights of the 2 years C3 become VERY close....This weight myth is another misconception.

Add the weights mentioned previously with fluids and the 69 SBC C3 is 3650 lbs... make it a BB 427 and the weight balloons to 3,800 lbs with an auto and 3,750 lbs with a 4 speed. The big additional weight of the BB C3's helps explain why the big HP SBC LT-1's are not that much slower than the BB cars, 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times...the BB cars are carrying a lot more mass....Duntov MUCH preferred the handling advantage of the SBC C3's over the BB cars for this reason.

Bottom line is that the earlier C3's similarly equipped are really NO LIGHTER than the supposedly monstrously heavy 78/79's. I also checked the chassis weight of my 78 against the 77 C3 and the 78 is actually lighter than the 77. Lastly, my 78 with no options but the L-82 4 speed and gymkhana suspension (delete many pounds for composite rear spring, no cat, no AIR pump hardware, aluminum heads, aluminum water pump, aluminum radiator, no AC, etc) actually weighs LESS than a 69 SBC with factory stereo, AC, Power steering, Power Brakes etc. The BB were really heavy plus had the nose heavy weight distribution...SHOCKING!

A 69 C3 with no options IS lighter than the later C3's but you are taking about a 69 SBC 4 speed car with no power steering, no power brakes, no AC, wheels without wheel covers, side exhaust, no radio, no power windows, etc...Much of the additional weight of the 78/79's is mainly the emissions hardwars AND the 24 gallon gas tank (versus the 17 gallon tank of the earlier cars). All the C3 frames are the SAME weight and were never modified adding additional weight as periodically comes up.

The 80-82 C3's are the only years that were actually lighter due to the thinner fiberglass on the body AND the aluminum "batwing" rear suspension differential carrier.....................

Hope this helps!

Last edited by jb78L-82; 09-18-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: What yrs did cooling improve?