C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel Resurfaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:55 AM
clatgeo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Flywheel Resurfaced

I am getting ready to reinstall the resurfaced flywheel in a 1970 LT1. The machine shop removed my index marking when they resurfaced the flywheel.

Will the flywheel be correctly aligned if I align the empty hole in the flywheel to the empty hole on the crank flange?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2016, 02:45 PM
2VettesMike
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure you check the release bearing thickness and pivot ball length as well.
When I had mine surfaced the new release bearing being a little thinner combined to take away almost all my adjustment range.

Shifts OK but not much free travel like I would want.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-16-2016, 03:19 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

To answer your question; the flywheel can go on only one way and that will be obvious once you put it up against the crank flange and peer into the bolt holes to get them all aligned with the holes in the crank flange.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:58 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

On an internally balanced engine it matters not which way the flywheel is installed. That said; most people simply align the empty dowel holes which is likely how you found it before removal.
As to the release bearing/pivot ball geometry changes that may arise due to excess resurfacing - you can also install a flywheel shim between the flywheel and crank @same thickness as the material removal.

Get notified of new replies

To Flywheel Resurfaced

Quick Reply: Flywheel Resurfaced