C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring cutting/lowering front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:48 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Default Spring cutting/lowering front end

I'm in the process of lowering my front end. I would like to lower it at least 2" but not more than 3". My spring, Gymkhana suspension, is the same shape on both ends with a free length of 13-1/4". The coils are spaced about 2" apart except on the last coil at each end which is 1". Will I get 2" lower by cutting one full coil off one end only or should I cut one coil off both ends? I'm asking because I would like to do this job only once.
Attached Images   
Old 05-11-2016, 08:14 PM
76vette1
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My springs were 13-3/8" long. Cutting one coil shortened it to 12-1/4" long. The dimension from the floor to the top of the wheel opening in the fender went from 27-1/2" to 26".
Old 05-11-2016, 08:24 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

I'm at 29-1/2" high with a 26.7" tire diameter.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I'm at 29-1/2" high with a 26.7" tire diameter.
Strange...my SB sat way low in the front, bottoming on speed bumps, etc. When I pulled the gymkhana springs, the PO had cut 1/2 coil off each end. This shortened the spring so much that when on a lift the springs were loose in the pocket!

Most users say that the replacement gymkhana springs (not cut) sit perfect. I agree.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

If the front springs aren't aligned correctly in the spring pocket, the front end will sit high. I'm running the 550# springs and it has a nice low look to it. Not slammed, but low without being completely ridiculous to drive.

When I first put the springs in, there was a massive gap. Re-aligning the spring dropped the front end something like an inch.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:49 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,195 Likes on 2,753 Posts

This will probably take 2 attempts: There are no guarantees about ride height when it comes to cutting coils.

Notice how the ENDS of the spring are in-line so that the ends butt against the "stops" in the upper and lower control arms.

Also........the coil on each end of the spring is factory "bent" so the spring will sit in the control arms without "cocking" to one side.

When you cut one coil off, you need to make sure the cut is directly "next" to the original spring end.......(the spring will be easier to re-install after one coil is cut off).

The same thing should be done to the other spring.......then re-install the springs correctly into the pockets........drive the car over different roads for a few miles so the suspension will "settle into the lower ride height.........then re-measure the fender lip height to see how much the body lowered.

Then the decision will be up to you if another coil needs to be cut from each spring............AND FROM WHICH END OF THE SPRING that another coil will be cut from.

The above info is from threads I have read before cutting my own coil springs.....Wait for others to reply

Last edited by doorgunner; 05-12-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:18 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Not a fan as it is a pain in the behind to do this, but make sure when you cut the spring use a grinder with a cut off wheel and NOT a torch as it will change the spring metallurgy
Old 05-12-2016, 06:46 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I took just over 1 coil off my factory gymkhana springs, and my car is pretty low in front. I think 2 coils would be way too much.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Thanks for the replies folks. My car sits higher because I've removed the A/C, pollution gear and installed aluminium heads, water pump. This has resulted in a 3-1/2" gap between the top of the tire and the top of the fender arch. I've read other threads on cutting springs and will use a cut off wheel. I wasn't expecting both ends to be the same so I can cut either the top or the bottom but the end that gets cut will be placed in the lower CA.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies folks. My car sits higher because I've removed the A/C, pollution gear and installed aluminium heads, water pump. This has resulted in a 3-1/2" gap between the top of the tire and the top of the fender arch. I've read other threads on cutting springs and will use a cut off wheel. I wasn't expecting both ends to be the same so I can cut either the top or the bottom but the end that gets cut will be placed in the lower CA.
This is where my car sits with an unmodified 550# spring. Aluminum heads, intake, headers. Iron water pump, fully functional A/C. 27.1" tire diameter.

Even with the engine and transmission out, I don't think I had a 3 1/2" gap between the tire and fender.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:54 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

He may have smaller tires in the front, they should be about 27" in diameter. Cut one coil off the bottom and align the top coil into the top pocket.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MotorHead
He may have smaller tires in the front, they should be about 27" in diameter. Cut one coil off the bottom and align the top coil into the top pocket.
Let's assume for sake of argument that I have a 1" fender gap. That's pretty close. The gap only increases by half of the tire diameter - the other half brings the car closer to the ground. For him to have a 3 1/2" gap, he'd need to be running 22" diameter tires. I'm still suspicious there's something wrong with his installation.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

So sorry to Hijack this thread but whats up with the Ferrari Daytona in the back ground, it is a clone?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:47 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoopysvet

So sorry to Hijack this thread but whats up with the Ferrari Daytona in the back ground, it is a clone?
Made from a Vette, yes......by Tom McBurnie......

Jebby
Old 05-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I would cut 1/2 coil....and reinstall.....you would need to take less from a gymkana spring than a standard as the spring rate is much higher....the spring is stiffer and shorter overall, smaller cuts mean bigger changes.

I took 1 coil from my 69 Big Block with Moogs to lower it 1 1/2"......but the springs were standard.

Jebby
Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

'Lowering' coil springs are relatively inexpensive. Why would anyone in this day and age still mess around with cutting springs and affecting ride quality and suspension spring rates when you can buy engineered springs to do the job properly?
This just seems to be a 70's era bubba solution that never went away IMO.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:30 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I've decided to cut one coil off the bottom and use my grinding wheel to flatten the bottom a bit. The tires are 245/45-18 which are 26.7" diam.

Buying new springs is fine provided the car is all stock with no weight changes. Mine isn't, so there is a very good chance I would need to cut the springs anyway to get the height I want. If I need to remove the springs and cut a bit a second or even a third time I'm good with that.

I should have both sides done over the weekend in conjunction with installing poly bushings on all the control arms.

Get notified of new replies

To Spring cutting/lowering front end

Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Let's assume for sake of argument that I have a 1" fender gap. That's pretty close. The gap only increases by half of the tire diameter - the other half brings the car closer to the ground. For him to have a 3 1/2" gap, he'd need to be running 22" diameter tires. I'm still suspicious there's something wrong with his installation.
Nothing has been installed yet. All original front end and has never been altered except for change in weight as I previously noted.

Last edited by resdoggie; 05-13-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Buying new springs is fine provided the car is all stock with no weight changes. Mine isn't, so there is a very good chance I would need to cut the springs anyway to get the height I want. If I need to remove the springs and cut a bit a second or even a third time I'm good with that.
There is no guarantee that replacing the springs will give the ride height you're looking for. The only way that happens with minimal grief is with the adjustable semi coil overs. The F-body guys are cutting coils all the time to get the desired ride height.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:19 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Nothing has been installed yet. All original front end and has never been altered except for change in weight as I previously noted.
Are you sure the springs are currently installed correctly? That's my point. The 75 pounds of weight you mentioned would not cause a 3.5" tire gap. We're running the same springs and I'm clearly not at a 3.5" gap, tire to fender. If you want, I can get measurements of my fender to ground, I think I'm in the high 27s, low 28s.

Quick Reply: Spring cutting/lowering front end