C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need BW Super T-10 expert

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 08:40 PM
EarnIt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need BW Super T-10 expert

My trans.has gotten so it does`nt want to go into reverse while car is running. With engine off it will slip right in but when running it just wants to grind. Forward gears are fine. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 09-06-2002, 08:46 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Need BW Super T-10 expert (EarnIt)

Adjust your clutch, just a idea :D
Old 09-06-2002, 08:50 PM
EarnIt
Instructor

Default Re: Need BW Super T-10 expert (MotorHead)

Adjusted the clutch today when I replaced the push rod from pedal to cross shaft. Free play on the pedal is right where it should 1-1 1/2 inches.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:58 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reverse gear is non synchronized. Momentarily shift into a forward gear, then shift into reverse.

Chuck
Old 09-06-2002, 09:04 PM
EarnIt
Instructor

Default Re: Need BW Super T-10 expert (Chuck Harmon)

Chuck, I read that in the owners manual and it used to work. But not anymore.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:13 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

BW Super T 10 is a very good tranny I think the Nascar boys still use the Richmond version of the Super T10 in there 800 HP stock cars today. Would be suprised if it is shot, probably something simple :D
Old 09-06-2002, 10:47 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

motorhead,
The transmissions used in NASCAR are NOT even close to a Super T-10. Straight cut spur gears NO synchros, larger gears in a larger case. ...redvetracr
Old 09-07-2002, 02:25 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Default Re: Need BW Super T-10 expert (redvetracr)

Normally I won't post anything unless I am sure. I had read that somewhere and I am going to find out where I saw it.

And I found it, it is probably a little misleading but on the Richmond site they describe the Super T 10 as the "Nascar standard" and have a picture of a Nascar racecar underneath.
http://www.richmondgear.com/catalogpdf/catpg33-35.pdf

Like I said I am here to help not to forward a pile of BS to anyone. In this case it was something I read that I posted. Most of the time unless I've done it or it's happened to me I won't post it, I guess in this case I was trying to make the orginator of the thread feel a little better about his problem as I know i feel a little down when something goes wrong with my car.

[Modified by MotorHead, 12:43 AM 9/7/2002]
Old 09-07-2002, 09:53 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Motorhead,
If you want to split hairs, OK the Richmond/Super T-10 is used in NASCAR. In some of the NASCAR touring series like the Re-Max series. It is absolutly NOT used behind an 800hp motor in a WINSTON CUP car. It is probably also NOT used in the Busch or Truck series either. The "standard transmission" (as used by most) are the Tex T-101 or the Jerico. These are FULL RACE pieces, straight cut spur gears, NO synchros. Go to the Jerico or the Tex racing web sites and you will see the differences, these transmissions also cost three times what you can buy a Richmond/Super T-10 for from Summit or Jegs. Sorry but they are not the same animal as the trans that came in a Corvette. ..redvetracr
Old 09-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Normally I would agree that the clutch is the thing to adjust, however, since you said you already have, I can only think that maybe the shifter linkage should also be adjusted (make sure the rods aren't partially engaging either the 1-2 or 3-4 gear throws when in neutral/shifting into reverse). I doubt the trans is the problem (I have a Super T-10 in my 66 and love it).
Old 09-07-2002, 10:58 AM
EarnIt
Instructor

Default Re: Need BW Super T-10 expert (Denney)

Denney, Thanks for your input. I will try to see if that is the problem.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:07 AM
bud snyder
Instructor

Earnit,
Here is a tip. Install 3/8 nuts on the shift linmage rods. When you are happy with the linkage adjustments, use the nuts as jam nuts to keep the linkage arms from twisting.
Bud Snyder
Old 09-08-2002, 12:09 AM
Marv
Racer

Earnit-

I'm with Motorhead-I'd adjust the freeplay to 1 inch or even less just to see if it's the clutch dragging. That's where mine works best. My understanding is that as long as you have at least some freeplay at all operating temps and no slipping under power you are good to go. Good luck.

Marv-
Old 09-08-2002, 01:34 AM
EarnIt
Instructor

Default Re: Need BW Super T-10 expert (Marv)

Thanks Marv and everyone else. I am coming to the conclusion that my shifter may just be worn out. I am thinking of replacing it with a Hurst Comp. Plus.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:56 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you checked for free play, have you checked that the throwout bearing is installed properly? (tangs on the clutch fork INSIDE the collar). If it is, you may have a worn out clutch fork.

I don't agree with the shifter adjustment theory. If it's grinding with the clutch pushed in, that means that your mainshaft is spinning when the clutch is pushed in, so something in the clutch assembly is dragging. If the shifter were that far out of adjustment, you'd have problems whether the engine was running or not. Check your Z-bar, clutch linkage, and fork for worn parts or excessive play. I'd be willing to bet the more you adjust out, the less severe the problem becomes.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:55 AM
bud snyder
Instructor

earnit,
If you suspect that it is the clutch, you should be able to feel it slipping when acceleratoring. You may want to try appling brake and slowly leaving out the clutch until it stalls the engine.

Did you check the linkage bushing on the shifter & trans? If they are worn, this would cause the linkage to become out of adjustment.

You should also check the clutch fork ball stud, they do wear.

The stock GM shifter isn't the best, but I doubt it is worn enough to cause the problem you are having.

If decide to change your shifter to a Hurst you will never regret it! (# 391-7992). You can also get a shifter lever from Ecklers that will make it look original.
When installing, install the 1/4 dial through the shifter. I suggest that you then shift thru the gears a number of times to fine tune the linkage. I am pretty sure you will get new bushings with the shift linkage, if not buy new.
Install 3/8" jam nuts.

I have a T-10 in my 76 and they are a good trans, but IMO that are not an M22!!
Bud
Old 09-08-2002, 04:14 PM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need BW Super T-10 expert (redvetracr)

I've been wondering why such a supposed high performance transmission has such a low torque rating. The Richmond Super T10 & T-10 Plus are rated for only 375 ft-lbs. Definitely not what you'd want in a Nascar car or even a high perf street car.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:21 PM
EarnIt
Instructor

Default Re: Need BW Super T-10 expert (bud snyder)

Thanks for all the ideas. I dropped the trans today and am going to start replacing parts. Clutch, Press. plate, Throwout bearing, new shifter, clutch fork ball stud, etc...

Get notified of new replies

To Need BW Super T-10 expert

Quick Reply: Need BW Super T-10 expert