C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To go down to glass or not???

Old 09-04-2002, 06:16 PM
lyndave75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To go down to glass or not???

I'm a thin layer of primer away from the original paint and wondering if I should continue down to the glass as there are still alot of chips to sand out. If I go all the down, should I still seal it before priming,as there will be no other paints beneath to worry about??

PS Bodywork sucks!!!!!!
Dave
Old 09-04-2002, 06:48 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: To go down to glass or not??? (lyndave75)

You shouldn't need to go all the way down to glass..... :nono:

As for chips... those can be 'filled' before re-primering. I'm sure what the 'best' method for chip filling is but hopefully someone will post it.

IF you go down to glass - you'll hafta redo the gelcoat.... and boy is that a nitemare ! :eek:
Old 09-04-2002, 07:02 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to get down through all the lacquer layers, down to the red oxide primer at least, unless you're shooting lacquer back on the car. If not, you'll need a sealer to keep the urethane primer from lifting the soft paint underneath. Go down to the red oxide and get it smooth, then apply an epoxy primer/sealer followed by a urethane primer/surfacer. There is no glecoat on any C3, so that's no concern. The epoxy primer will seal any errant strands of exposed glass and give you a nice stable surface for a good long-lasting paint job.

Shannon
Old 09-04-2002, 07:23 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: To go down to glass or not??? (sb69coupe)

..... There is no glecoat on any C3, so that's no concern.
Shannon
Thanks for the correction Shannon - I was thinking of an '84 Vette that needs body / paint work (my parents - sigh)....
Old 09-04-2002, 07:32 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the original paint off also. I've never stripped one to the factory primer and stopped there, but I guess it's possible. 25 + year old factory laquer isn't a good base to start from, especially when it's had other stuff sprayed over it.

One more comment: I've heard other people use the "gel coat" description. The fact of the matter is, Chevrolet has never used gel coat on Corvettes PERIOD. Gel coat is a slick finish sprayed in a mold before fiberglass resin and mat is applied. It's frequently used on boats and other fiberglass products requiring a durable, slick finish. As it comes out of the mold in these applications it's in a ready to use condition. Chevrolet has used basically two processes on Corvettes: press molded fiberglass and SMC (sheet molded composite) In the press molded type, which all corvettes up until the early 70's had, nothing goes in the mold except resin, mat, mold release compound, and a color pigment which is present all the way through the glass. There were three basic colors in press molded: white, light grey and dark grey. Corvette glass in these years looks exactly the same from the back as from the front. The SMC stuff is also lighter grey and has the marble look. It has never had gel coat from the factory either.

Some Corvette restorers have resorted to "gel coating" bodies after they're stripped to bare glass in an effort to seal everything underneath and stabalize areas that seem to be "dry" resin content wise. I don't like this process myself and think it's not much better than feather filling (absolute junk on a Corvette body) although maybe slightly. Most true gel coats will not cure in the presence of oxygen and have to have a spray on sealer or either be covered in plastic while they cure. I've never thought that gel coating a car stripped to bare glass was a worthwhile option either, especially considering today's excellent catalized primers.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:58 PM
paintdaddy
Drifting

I personally like to go all the way down to bare glass ,I just sand the last layer of primer off with a finer grit (180 or less).I like doing this because usually they are cracked up or peeling and if you dont sand them off you will just have a new paint job that will crack or peel off because of what is under neath.Plus you wont have any reaction to the factory paint (liting or wrinkling)
Old 09-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: To go down to glass or not??? (paintdaddy)

I agree with you there Paintdad. I've always washed it off with laquer thinner and either steel wool or scotchbrite pads.

I see you're in Hampton. Do you do the Tanger cruise on 3rd Saturdays? I've gotta miss this one for the first time in several months because of a wedding. My L88 was there at the July one and will hopefully take the green 67 in October. If you're a regular there tell me a car to look for.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:13 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Default Re: To go down to glass or not??? (Solidlifters)

I agree with you there Paintdad. I've always washed it off with laquer thinner and either steel wool or scotchbrite pads.

I see you're in Hampton. Do you do the Tanger cruise on 3rd Saturdays? I've gotta miss this one for the first time in several months because of a wedding. My L88 was there at the July one and will hopefully take the green 67 in October. If you're a regular there tell me a car to look for.
I am always at the tanger cruise ,that is the only one I will not miss.I am usually in my maroon 88 coupe ,but every once in while I drive my 82 camaro pace car.I also go to the one in fayetteville,Griffin sometimes.Hope to see you there .
Old 09-05-2002, 12:29 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: To go down to glass or not??? (paintdaddy)

paintdaddy, you have some good pics on your web site. Do you have any more that you can post?
Old 09-05-2002, 12:42 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Default Re: To go down to glass or not??? (MIKER)

I wish I could but I am computer illiterate plus I am at work right now.I could get you some later ,Ill have my wife post them.Presently I am doing a ground up on a Plymouth GTX.for a gentleman in stockbridge. :seeya
Old 09-06-2002, 09:53 PM
lyndave75
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry to take so long to get back here. When my car was last painted they did some strange things. The lower parts of the front fenders had a VERY thin layer of paint on them, other areas look like they opened the can of paint and just poured it on!!! I don't trust it now and would rather start from scratch and know what I'm working with. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend - More sanding. Yeah freakin' hoo!!!! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To To go down to glass or not???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To go down to glass or not???