C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitech EFI

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 04:51 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fitech EFI

I received my Fitech Mean Street EFI and when I removed the throttle body from the box it smelled STRONGLY of gas. This leads me to believe it has been used. Since I paid $1095.00 for it I expect it to be new and unused. Anyone else experienced this or think it's normal?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:18 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

For a new company they are having quite a bit of issues.

I think they single handily are proving

You get what you pay for ............... And ...

Good is not cheap and cheap is not good
Old 04-09-2016, 06:30 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Only issues with FiTech seems to be with their FCC units. The tb's are getting rave reviews on many different forums, the co. can't keep up with orders and get backlogged.

Last edited by gdh; 04-09-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Mine smelt strongly of fuel too, and everyone else I have read has said the same. I take it as a good sign that each unit is tested before shipping. Don't stress!
Old 04-09-2016, 11:46 PM
-SS454-
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each unit indeed goes through a series of tests. I would imagine because of how backordered they are, once the product passes the tests it gets boxed up and shipped out with no time for the fuel smell to evaporate.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:13 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Before you go making any assumptions call them and ask them, it may be that they do a test on each throttle body before shipping. I know that happened on a carb I bought one time, turned out to be just that....quality control testing...
Old 04-10-2016, 08:28 AM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 284 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Originally Posted by -SS454-
Each unit indeed goes through a series of tests. I would imagine because of how backordered they are, once the product passes the tests it gets boxed up and shipped out with no time for the fuel smell to evaporate.
I ordered a FiTech unit for my 78 on March 27th through JEGS - on back order. Got an email yesterday - estimated shipping date of April 20th.

Good to know about the gas smell, I would have assumed the unit was used too!!

Thanks!!!!

John
Old 04-10-2016, 11:13 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Mine smelt strongly of fuel too, and everyone else I have read has said the same. I take it as a good sign that each unit is tested before shipping. Don't stress!
That's what they told me. Now that I hear I'm not the only one, I'm satisfied.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They all smell of gas. It's from testing as others have stated. That shouldn't make you mad... that should make you happy.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:02 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

If they are testing every unit I would want want to know why. It is more likely some of you have returned units that have been fixed then to suggest every unit is test run.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I've done a lot of online reviews of the FITECH system. No one has had any issues with the actual TB unit. There is an obvious issue with the fcc. I ordered a tanksinc tank/pump. For simplicity and peace of mind. And the basic 600 hp TB unit. If mine smells of gas I'll let you know. I'll also post my own review.
Diehrd is very proud of his setup, it looks like a nice setup. I've considered it, but at 3 times the cost of a Basic unit from FI tech, I'm unconvinced it will give "me" less issues or much more performance. Not to mention the look I'm trying to retain, that of a carburetor. It's not that I cannot afford his system either, I have the resources to buy pretty much anything I want. It's more about bang for the buck, my fuel needs, and the look I'm trying to retain. I just want fast starts and trouble free performance when I drive into the mountains, I live at 2500' and cruise roads that ascend to over 8000'. My carbs give me excellent performance on local roads. That is until it sits long enough for the fuel to boil, or when I do venture up the mtns. I have a feeling that the FITECH system will deliver the performance. If not, I'll add it to the live and learn list.

Last edited by Sunstroked; 04-11-2016 at 10:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

I would like to mention that just because something costs more, doesn't make it better. Go to fast, msd, Holley, and edelbrock tech/help sections or installation problems. All of them are full of installation or drivability issues. This doesn't mean that they are engineered badly, a lot of issues are directly related to installation problems. As was the case of one user with the FITECH system. His error. Hey it happens. I've researched FI for about the last 5 yrs. trying to decipher between fact or fiction. The biggest advantage FI will give me personally is fast startups and the ability to compensate for elevation changes. Like I said in my above post, my demon carb works wonderfully. Most times��
Old 04-11-2016, 11:35 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
I've done a lot of online reviews of the FITECH system. No one has had any issues with the actual TB unit. There is an obvious issue with the fcc. I ordered a tanksinc tank/pump. For simplicity and peace of mind. And the basic 600 hp TB unit. If mine smells of gas I'll let you know. I'll also post my own review.
Diehrd is very proud of his setup, it looks like a nice setup. I've considered it, but at 3 times the cost of a Basic unit from FI tech, I'm unconvinced it will give "me" less issues or much more performance. Not to mention the look I'm trying to retain, that of a carburetor. It's not that I cannot afford his system either, I have the resources to buy pretty much anything I want. It's more about bang for the buck, my fuel needs, and the look I'm trying to retain. I just want fast starts and trouble free performance when I drive into the mountains, I live at 2500' and cruise roads that ascend to over 8000'. My carbs give me excellent performance on local roads. That is until it sits long enough for the fuel to boil, or when I do venture up the mtns. I have a feeling that the FITECH system will deliver the performance. If not, I'll add it to the live and learn list.

I am proud of it , and it can be done with off the shelf items if you want to avoid a kit to save money.

But honestly a TB can not compare to a sequential multi port system. It is however a lot better then a carb ..

And my point is, I have never herd of a product designed , tested and made ready for resale that continues to go on a test motor or stand and have gas run through it before it is boxed.

And imagine UPS or fed ex or the ost office knowing the units smell of gas or have gas vapors them that are going to be loaded on an air plane..

Sorry I am just saying i dont but this pre testd . I CAN BE WRONG about it . If I am cool ..

Last edited by diehrd; 04-11-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Diehrd, we ship fuel parts every single day. It's the nature of our business. All by ground. It is hazmat and must be declared as so. Yes I really do think your system is a nice setup. I'm only into the system I'm getting for $1400. That's everything. It's more just a matter of plug and play. I have looked at so many alternatives.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:04 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by diehrd
If they are testing every unit I would want want to know why. It is more likely some of you have returned units that have been fixed then to suggest every unit is test run.
OMG are you kidding me? Have you ever heard of quality control?

In my business if clients knew we were testing every single item that goes out the door they would be deliriously happy. On the other hand, companies in my business who DON'T perform quality testing get run out of business eventually. Those pretty much are the facts.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:50 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by htown81vette
OMG are you kidding me? Have you ever heard of quality control?

In my business if clients knew we were testing every single item that goes out the door they would be deliriously happy. On the other hand, companies in my business who DON'T perform quality testing get run out of business eventually. Those pretty much are the facts.
OMG I am not kidding you !!!

In my business once a product is developed and tested it goes to production and random test are made , feed back from consumers are accounted for and issues are corrected .

Testing every unit is simply nuts ..
Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

I guess everywhere I've ever worked in the last 25 years is nuts, that includes oil field giants Halliburton, Baker Hughes, and Schlumberger. Everyone of those companies test every single assembly that goes out. That is a fact.

Get notified of new replies

To Fitech EFI

Old 04-15-2016, 03:16 AM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

In my business once a product is developed and tested it goes to production and random test are made , feed back from consumers are accounted for and issues are corrected .

Your idea sounds good if you are packaging Rasin Bran or paperclips. These are a mixture of software, injectors, sensors etc. All of which have to be assembled individually out of who knows how many parts.

Only a fool would not bench test before sending these out.

Last edited by mrscott25; 04-15-2016 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-15-2016, 05:15 AM
blumono1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume that they ramp up the production in China to meet demand, so the Fitech guys are just being vigilant in the QC, better be safe than sorry.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

EVERY single automobile, motorcycle, boat, airplane, lawnmower, tractor and so on is started and tested after assembly. I guess all these companies are just idiots. Just because something is designed to run doesn't mean it will. Have to 100% test when your good company name is on the line and you want to insure high quality. You just build the cost of the time and labor into the cost of your product. I applaud companies that 100% test their products.

Quick Reply: Fitech EFI