C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to replace during steering maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:04 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default What to replace during steering maintenance?

I have a newly purchased '74 with power steering. My rag joint is completely shot and the control valve leaks like a sieve.

I'm going to replace the steering box with the Borgeson upgrade kit. The upgrade includes:
Rag joint
Steering box
Control valve
Power steering hoses that run from the control valve to the power steering cylinder

However, while I was down there, I figured since I will probably need to get my car realigned, I might as well change the inner and outer tie rod ends.

Is there any other "wear" items that I need to handle as well? Does anything on the Pitman or idler arm wear? Power steering cylinder? Power steering pump itself?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:51 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

idler arm will wear, so will upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints
Old 03-23-2016, 04:57 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

And now you're talking a complete front susp. Rebuild. I just finished mine and had it aligned today. Makes a world of difference.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:09 AM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I did steeroids. Never looked back

Last edited by rayluka; 03-28-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:03 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Black04Vert
I have a newly purchased '74 with power steering. My rag joint is completely shot and the control valve leaks like a sieve.

I'm going to replace the steering box with the Borgeson upgrade kit. The upgrade includes:
Rag joint
Steering box
Control valve
Power steering hoses that run from the control valve to the power steering cylinder

However, while I was down there, I figured since I will probably need to get my car realigned, I might as well change the inner and outer tie rod ends.

Is there any other "wear" items that I need to handle as well? Does anything on the Pitman or idler arm wear? Power steering cylinder? Power steering pump itself?
Check the lower bearing in the steering column. Super easy to replace if worn
Old 04-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rayluka
I did steeroids. Never looked back
I was worried about the clearance with the Steeroids. It appeared to be lower than the frame rails. I also have Hooker Comp exhaust manifold with sidepipes and wasn't sure if they would interfere with the install.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:07 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MelWff is right, if you are going to all the trouble to do the conversion you need to replace all the front end wear components. I did a complete front suspension/steering rebuild on my 81 had it aligned and makes a world of difference, really tight now.
The Borgeson replacement does not have a control valve. The hoses go from the pump to the new power gearbox. The control valve is replaced with a drag link adapter that connects the pitman arm to the steering link.
Follow the directions regarding collapsing the steering column very carefully, if you go too far it won't come back out.
I have a rebuilt set of upper control arms with urethane bushings, rebuilt painted and ready to bolt on for sale on Ebay right now. Item#172163911543. I installed adjustable upper control arms.

Get notified of new replies

To What to replace during steering maintenance?

Quick Reply: What to replace during steering maintenance?