C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004-R Kickdown Linkage with FiTech EFI System?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 09:28 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 2004-R Kickdown Linkage with FiTech EFI System?

I've finished installing my FiTech Go EFI 600 system and am very happy with the look, fit, finish, etc. The only thing holding me up from finish off the install and firing it up is figuring out the kickdown linkage for my 2004-R Transmission. When I bought my transmission I bought BowTie Overdrives TV Made EZ system that included everything needed to get the correct geometry for the transmission and Q-Jet I had before replacing with the FiTech EFI. Understandably they don't make one for the FiTech unit yet.

I contacted FiTech to see if they had suggestions but they just said that their throttle bodies and linkages were made by Quick Fuel which didn't help much. I dug around google images and it looks like the FAST EZ EFI 2.0 linkage may be identical to the one on the FiTech unit.

TCI makes this linkage kit but not sure if it will fit FiTech's Throttle linkage..... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-370816

Anyone out there already figure this out???
Old 03-13-2016, 10:11 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Made by Quick Fuel so Holley compatible right?

Compare this Holley set up with yours. Look at that bottom part of the linkage. You might look at their Holley kit now.

Here it is put together.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:46 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Johnt365, really appreciate the pictures, those were worth a 1000 words! Your linkage looks identical to the one on the FiTech EFI unit so my guess is I can go ahead and order the Holly 4100 series adapter from BowTie Overdrives. They're spendy at $150, but not sure there are other options out there that will preserve the warranty on the Transmission I bought from them. No one else has the cam system they have which allows you to fully adjust shift points and feel.

REALLY appreciate the help.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gbarmore
I've finished installing my FiTech Go EFI 600 system and am very happy with the look, fit, finish, etc. The only thing holding me up from finish off the install and firing it up is figuring out the kickdown linkage for my 2004-R Transmission. When I bought my transmission I bought BowTie Overdrives TV Made EZ system that included everything needed to get the correct geometry for the transmission and Q-Jet I had before replacing with the FiTech EFI. Understandably they don't make one for the FiTech unit yet.

I contacted FiTech to see if they had suggestions but they just said that their throttle bodies and linkages were made by Quick Fuel which didn't help much. I dug around google images and it looks like the FAST EZ EFI 2.0 linkage may be identical to the one on the FiTech unit.

TCI makes this linkage kit but not sure if it will fit FiTech's Throttle linkage..... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-370816

Anyone out there already figure this out???
Shoot, I forgot all about this potential issue. I have a Bowtie Overdrives 700R4 with their EZ kit on an Edelbrock carb. I just ordered the Fitech EFI system today (backordered obviously) and wasn't even thinking about the fact that the existing cable system likely won't work with the GoEFI throttle body. Not sure if anyone else has tackled this yet or not, but I'm following to see if I can learn anything on the issue.

Would love if you could post with your progress if you go with the Holly 4100 system and how it goes. The 700R4 and 200R4 use the same system, and that linkage does look pretty close, so let's hope that's all we need to do in order to get it working!

Last edited by Mcjoshin; 03-13-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:58 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Originally Posted by Mcjoshin
Shoot, I forgot all about this potential issue. I have a Bowtie Overdrives 700R4 with their EZ kit on an Edelbrock carb. I just ordered the Fitech EFI system today (backordered obviously) and wasn't even thinking about the fact that the existing cable system likely won't work with the GoEFI throttle body. Not sure if anyone else has tackled this yet or not, but I'm following to see if I can learn anything on the issue.

Would love if you could post with your progress if you go with the Holly 4100 system and how it goes. The 700R4 and 200R4 use the same system, and that linkage does look pretty close, so let's hope that's all we need to do in order to get it working!
I'm checking with BTO today to see if I can just get the Holly 4100 base plate and throttle Linkage CAM instead of having to purchase the whole kit TV made EZ Kit. Hopefully that will save some cash since I already have their cable installed from the Q-Jet kit. I'll update once I get in touch with them and send some pics out once I get this thing fully installed.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:11 PM
gbarmore
Pro

We'll, as we are used to in this 'hobby', things are not quite as simple as one might think or hope and here's why. Turns out that swapping out your old carb to the FiTech Go EFI if you're running a 700R4 or a 2004-R transmission isn't as simple as bolting on a new BowTie Overdrives Holly 4100 TV Made EZ System. I called BTO and got in touch with Jen who was very helpful. I asked her about using their Holly 4100 kit with the FiTech and she said that as similar as the throttle linkages look in pictures, they are NOT the same, and that kit will not fit the FiTech unit. This likely means that none of the other aftermarket systems will work either. If you have a different experience, please share!

The solution is to send your FiTech EFI unit to BowTie Overdrives in Hesperia California and they will custom fit their CAM, and pressure test the set-up before sending it back to you. Turnaround time is 3 days from time of receipt and the cost is $160 if you don't need a the cable, $225 if you do. You pay shipping both ways and they recommend FedEX or USPS, not UPS as they have had way too much stuff come in with "tire tracks" from UPS... Jen's words, not mine. Insure it, and make sure you get signature and proof-of-delivery. Send it ATTN: Jen, and include a note in the box with your phone number, email address, what you want done, and she will call you before beginning the work.

You do not need a new spring in the transmission which is a bonus, and the fact that it comes back to you calibrated for proper pressure throughout the throttle pedal range is comforting to know, especially if you don't have a pressure gauge on your transmission to confirm.

They are working on developing a kit that they will sell to the masses, but I'm not willing to wait so i'll be sending mine to BTO asap.

Hope this helps others considering this swap that are running the 700R4 or a 2004-R transmissions and are trying to solve this problem. BTW, I do not work for, nor am I affiliated in any way with BowTie Overdrives. I'm simply trying to help others here.

Last edited by gbarmore; 03-14-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Darn... well that sucks, but at least they can make it for us. I guess it's probably too much to expect a brand new product to not come with a few hassles. I've been having issues getting my carb tuned at my new elevation here in Denver, so was hoping to be able to just throw the new GoEFI on it and not worry about dealing with tuning the current carb, but sounds like it may not happen quite as quickly/easily as I was hoping. Already dealing with a backorder on the GoEFI and having to wait for the throttle body linkage, so it sounds like I'll just have to get the carb dynotuned for now and do the swap later in the spring/early summer. Rather not have the extra cost, but I don't want to park the thing for the next two months! Let me know how it works out! I wonder if they can use the mockup from your unit to create more of them.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:44 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Originally Posted by gbarmore
We'll, as we are used to in this 'hobby', things are not quite as simple as one might think or hope and here's why. Turns out that swapping out your old carb to the FiTech Go EFI if you're running a 700R4 or a 2004-R transmission isn't as simple as bolting on a new BowTie Overdrives Holly 4100 TV Made EZ System. I called BTO and got in touch with Jen who was very helpful. I asked her about using their Holly 4100 kit with the FiTech and she said that as similar as the throttle linkages look in pictures, they are NOT the same, and that kit will not fit the FiTech unit. This likely means that none of the other aftermarket systems will work either. If you have a different experience, please share!

The solution is to send your FiTech EFI unit to BowTie Overdrives in Hesperia California and they will custom fit their CAM, and pressure test the set-up before sending it back to you. Turnaround time is 3 days from time of receipt and the cost is $160 if you don't need a the cable, $225 if you do. You pay shipping both ways and they recommend FedEX or USPS, not UPS as they have had way too much stuff come in with "tire tracks" from UPS... Jen's words, not mine. Insure it, and make sure you get signature and proof-of-delivery. Send it ATTN: Jen, and include a note in the box with your phone number, email address, what you want done, and she will call you before beginning the work.

You do not need a new spring in the transmission which is a bonus, and the fact that it comes back to you calibrated for proper pressure throughout the throttle pedal range is comforting to know, especially if you don't have a pressure gauge on your transmission to confirm.

They are working on developing a kit that they will sell to the masses, but I'm not willing to wait so i'll be sending mine to BTO asap.

Hope this helps others considering this swap that are running the 700R4 or a 2004-R transmissions and are trying to solve this problem. BTW, I do not work for, nor am I affiliated in any way with BowTie Overdrives. I'm simply trying to help others here.
**** UPDATE ****

Don't send your FiTech unit off to BTO just yet. Another member here called them yesterday and they told him that to install their system they have to modify your throttle linkage. Personally I'm not comfortable with that since it's possible that it could void the warranty on a brand new $1,000 throttle body that I haven't even been able to install yet. I'm calling them back today to try to understand exactly what modifications they make, and then I'll call FiTech to see what their reaction will be with regards to any warranty coverage.

Stay tuned......
The following users liked this post:
Mcjoshin (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

To much over thinking here ..

TV cables need to be able to be pulled fully when at WOT and closed when throttle is closed. You do NOT ...... NOT need that bow tie gadget to get proper operation from your TV cable.

You need a bracket and a connector to the throttle linkage at its lowest spot .

Once you have full and closed operation you do the initial set up as always and if need be make very very minute adjustments in or out .. Its not rocket science it is old school stuff.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:38 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Originally Posted by diehrd
To much over thinking here ..

TV cables need to be able to be pulled fully when at WOT and closed when throttle is closed. You do NOT ...... NOT need that bow tie gadget to get proper operation from your TV cable.

You need a bracket and a connector to the throttle linkage at its lowest spot .

Once you have full and closed operation you do the initial set up as always and if need be make very very minute adjustments in or out .. Its not rocket science it is old school stuff.
Gbarmore and I both have Bowtie Overdrive branded transmissions, which changes things a bit. 1. it will void the warranty if you're not using their bracket. Mine is past warranty date, so I'm not as worried about that as Gbarmore, but 2. the bowtie transmissions use a special spring inside the transmission that is designed to play nicely with their TV linkage. I am not positive on whether you can just throw another brand of linkage on there. I need to double check on whether or not you can just throw a different system on. This likely isn't a problem for anybody using a different brand of transmission, but being that Bowtie is relatively popular it may effect some.

Last edited by Mcjoshin; 03-15-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:06 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

That's a sales pitch , It amazes me at times the things said . His spring may be a heavier spring which is a normal up grade to the TV valve .

A universal TV cable set to the correct length , installed on a TV cable bracket and attached to the linkage is all you need. Bow Tie needs unique in anything they have to justify the high price they sell for.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Originally Posted by diehrd
That's a sales pitch , It amazes me at times the things said . His spring may be a heavier spring which is a normal up grade to the TV valve .

A universal TV cable set to the correct length , installed on a TV cable bracket and attached to the linkage is all you need. Bow Tie needs unique in anything they have to justify the high price they sell for.
Thanks for the info... as I said, they didn't specifically tell me that their spring won't work with other systems, I just hadn't asked about it yet and wasn't sure myself. According to their site, you do need to upgrade the spring in order to use their TV cable system, but it doesn't make any claims as to it not working with something else, I just hadn't gotten around to confirming yet.

I think the bigger concern for someone like Gbarmore is simply the warranty on his brand new transmission from Bowtie. I probably have a few more options since my transmission is no longer under warranty with them anyways and I appreciate the clarification from you, as that does help me decide what I need to do once my GoEFI unit arrives. Good info!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:17 PM
garychurchill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what was the outcome for you guys? I happen to have a 700r4 and a FITech GoEFI 4 #30001. I called Bowtie Overdrives to inquire about some other parts for my 700r4 and then this came up about my FITech /TV cable to which she started to say I need to send in. I was a little baffled I would have to send in my brand new EFI to them.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Originally Posted by garychurchill
So what was the outcome for you guys? I happen to have a 700r4 and a FITech GoEFI 4 #30001. I called Bowtie Overdrives to inquire about some other parts for my 700r4 and then this came up about my FITech /TV cable to which she started to say I need to send in. I was a little baffled I would have to send in my brand new EFI to them.
Hey Gary - They don't have an adapter built for the Fitech units yet and they have to do some slight modifications to the linkage on the Fitech. I sent mine in and I have it all installed fine.

I haven't even been able to drive it yet however, as I undertook a huge project and just got it back up and running last night (suspension, steering, rear end rebuild, full interior reno, supercharger, new fuel system, fitech, etc).

I should have mine on the road in the next few days and can update you, but I can also tell you that unless you have to worry about a warranty with Bowtie, I might just try another route. They sent a new adapter plate and put a note on the linkage cam "do not adjust". Well isn't the whole point of the bowtie overdrives linkage the ability to adjust for different shift points/feel?!?!?!

They're going to charge you $100+ for it and then you apparently don't even get the main benefit of being able to adjust the cam. I'd probably just try another TV system as it's not that complicated, unless of course you have a bowtie overdrives 700R4 which is still under warranty.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:57 PM
garychurchill
Pro

Yea let me know how it goes!

Mine is just a rebuilt 700r4. Not a bowtie 700. I also emailed FITech but haven't heard back yet...
Old 07-28-2016, 08:39 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Can the secondary linkage circled in red be moved to one of the holes circled in green?

When I look at the image in this thread of a holley throttle and the EFI one, the thing I see that could interfere is that linkage with the cam assembly.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 PM
tejasak
Advanced

Are there any updates on this?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:09 PM
79 C3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Updates??

Any new updates on this?

Get notified of new replies

To 2004-R Kickdown Linkage with FiTech EFI System?

Quick Reply: 2004-R Kickdown Linkage with FiTech EFI System?