C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat shielding for floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 01:37 PM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Heat shielding for floor

Probably a stupid question but... since my car has side headers and side pipes and its a 4spd there is really nothing under the floor that generates heat. Also.. my heater core is not hooked up so not much heat coming from under the dash. There is no reason to have heat shielding on the floor.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:56 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

You raise an interesting point.
I am putting some Fiero seats into my car next week and considered pulling the carpet an installing a layer of Reflectix.
However, after reading your post, I'm not sure that I will since I have side pipes, too.

I do have a new foam collar (that I have not yet installed) that goes between the bell housing of my TH-350 and firewall.
I don't know if 4-speed cars had the same.
It's supposed to reduce the volume of hot air coming in from the engine room.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:12 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 600 Likes on 486 Posts

Does it get hot at your feet or uncomfortable at all after a long drive?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson
Does it get hot at your feet or uncomfortable at all after a long drive?
EXACTLY...side pipe headers STILL put off heat to the toe boards of your floor boards....and if in time you get to feeling hot and uncomfortable....LOGIC would tell me to install heat barrier material.

DUB
Old 03-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
EXACTLY...side pipe headers STILL put off heat to the toe boards of your floor boards....and if in time you get to feeling hot and uncomfortable....LOGIC would tell me to install heat barrier material.

DUB
I have a standard, sidepipes and no heater, I can assure you the floor boards do get hot, the tunnel too and so does the firewall. Yes I will be adding a heat barrier in all those places on my interior rebuild.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:03 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Alright - I'm convinced.
I'll plan to install heat barrier either when I do the seats or when I install Vintage Air.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by wendellp601
Alright - I'm convinced.
I'll plan to install heat barrier either when I do the seats or when I install Vintage Air.

Honestly....if my opinion matters at all in this scenario. I would wait and do it when you take out the dash and seats/carpet and such so you can do from the base of the windshield all the way back to the rear seat mounting bolts.

If you care to know the products I use and actually communicate with a Corvette forum member who's car I did and he can tell you FIRST HAND on how it feels when he drives it in the heat of the summer and have his A/C on ...and as he puts it: He can sell ice cream out of the car because it is so cold on the inside....let me know via a PM.

OR...buy and use what you want. But I would do something and I can not confirm or deny that nay other products do not work as well as what I have used for years. I found something that works really well and choose not to waste my time testing it out and seeing if it is as good or not. I spend quite a good bit of time getting it precision cut and fitted and installed. But when it is done...it is well worth it for my customers.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
bmans vette (03-15-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Heat shielding for floor

Quick Reply: Heat shielding for floor