C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to add steam nipple/barb to radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:47 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How to add steam nipple/barb to radiator?

On my LS conversion, I need to hook up my steam line. Problem is that my aluminum radiator doesn' have the steam nipple on it. So I've got to either pull the radiator and have one welded in......

Or find a creative way around that. Any thoughts on how to go about it?

What about threading in a nipple utilizing JB Weld?
Old 01-01-2016, 04:57 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Drill and tap a 1/8" hole into the top of the water pump,I've done it on a few swaps.It's hard to see,this is where I drilled the LS3 Camaro pump in my Supra 6.0.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:13 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I thought the steam line return needed to route to the highest point in the cooling system?????

If I'm wrong, then my radiator is okay. I have a threaded insert that's about 1" below the top return line. I assumed that it was too low to insert an NPT barb. Am I wrong?
Old 01-01-2016, 11:20 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey Chris-

What I read was-if it (steam port) was connected anywhere coolant flowed you'd be OK. Trailblazer uses the heater hose- Firebird/Camaro/Vette/etc into the radiator.

Now- what's the best way? Several said the highest point in the system was the best...FWIW...

I think the Vette's are a little different- as the rad is lower than the engine..that's why GM used the expansion tanks.

You might have other issues if you are still overheating and have the steam port at least hooked up...

On my car- albeit not a LS has a steam port- the upper radiator hose worked well as I had two different sized hoses and made the steam port a hose adapter as well.

Richard

Old 01-02-2016, 08:43 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is my take - worth what you paid for it.
Some get by with no vents, many need them hooked up. Hooked up as Richard says, even your existing rad conection, is better than none. All you have to do is get the air out. You can ensure venting in a couple of ways .

High point - air moves upward.
Lower pressure point - vent to suction side of water pump or pump housing were you get a venturi effect. This pulls the air out.

I am not a fan of tapping the water pump - just because if I am traveling and have water pump trouble in Resume Speed, Iowa - it would be a pain. I would rather have a vent in the hose as Richard shows. Check out the adapters at Jags That Run.
Good Luck
Old 01-03-2016, 10:37 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Saturday night I installed the steam line to the radiator as discussed. I ran the motor for 15 min in my garage with the nose of the car 2' in the air (trying to force the air pocket out). The temp gauge sat on 200. The water pump sat at 165. Steam line was about 155. All looked good. Outside temp was 45.

Today I drove the car for about 20 miles. Temp never went above 200.

I still don't have th overflow tank, but plan to add it.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:37 PM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My steam vent is tapped into the water pump spacer. I have a truck crank pulley on my LQ9. I don't have the rear of engine plumbed. When I was purging the air, I got the engine up to temp, shut off then open the rear steam ports slowly and keep them open until anti freeze was coming out.

Get notified of new replies

To How to add steam nipple/barb to radiator?

Quick Reply: How to add steam nipple/barb to radiator?