C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 02:22 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle?

I'm going to spend a week in Panama City Beach next month and I'm driving the Vette from Texas. Are there any good roads to drive in that area? How about along the way? Say from Pensecola to Panama City Beach? It's time for all you Florida locals to tell your secret drives and favorite roads (and to stop campaigning for Janet Reno:jester ).
Old 08-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle? (burners)

Hwy 98 runs along the panhandle along the Gulf Coast, South of I-10. Good road.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:27 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle? (Neo Fender)

Florida, Good Roads. Isn't that an oxymoron?? :lol:
Old 08-28-2002, 04:12 PM
tangee-vette
Racer

Default Re: Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle? (burners)

While heading east on I-10.....at Pensacola take I-110 south to Hwy 98 east. After crossing the 3 Mile Bridge (no toll) you'll be in Gulf Breeze. From there take the Pensacola Beach exit. This leads to a toll bridge approaching the the Barrier Island. Now this highway (east bound) on the Barrier Island is a stunning drive along the emerald waters and sugar white beaches with a couple of great curves thrown in for good measure. This Hwy continues to another bridge and puts you in Navarre at Hwy 98 where you just continue east bound straight to Panama City Beach. Another scenic part will be Ft. Walton Beach to Destin, as your back on the Barrier Island for this stretch (no tolls). Don't forget your sunglasses :cool:

Rick :cheers:
Old 08-28-2002, 04:22 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

In Appalatchicola, stop in the Gibson Inn....blue and white antient but clean and remodeled hotel right on the west end of the bridge on Rt 98.....neat place, more history and ghosts than warrented....neat town too full of antiques and fishing/shrimping/boating history....get salt in your veins....keep your weather eye tuned in though it IS hurry-caine season afterall.....;-)))

GENE :D :D :eek: :eek: :cool: :jester :jester
Old 08-28-2002, 04:23 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle? (tangee-vette)

I was thinking of taking 98, now I'm sure I will. It sounds like a nice drive. Are there any good day trips from Panama City Beach with some nice roads?
Old 08-28-2002, 04:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Thing to remember is that Pan city beach is a college town clip joint with well over 100 buck/nite rooms overlooking the beach....now you can use the beach just fine for 65 buck rooms and NO NOISE!!!! by booking just on other side of rt98 to landward....snicker...
rent the jet skis...clear gulf waters green as emeralds when I was there...see down 20 feet easy....perfect vette drive, tops removed one way or another....the beach sand rivals anywhere else....
now along rt98 eastward, there CAN BE many long stretches of say 50 miles or so without anything much...but some interesting artechecture for housing on the waterfront there along....it's amazing what people can contrive for a gulf view.....and hurry caine coast....stop in state parks where ever you can...they are WELLWORTH IT.....east of appalachicola in a 2-3 hour drive...is a Park called Wakula....Wakula river and springs...southeast of Tallahassee.....now you definately want to stop there....it's a hotel with limited space, but old as hell....reall old Florida living style...need reservations call in advance....now take the glass bottom boat trip....and by ALL MEAND DIVE OFF THE 30' tower into the river/springs....once again...cleanest water you ever seen and the alligators are only a few feet away across the riverbank, so pay them NO MIND....but take the river tour....man it's the scene of many a movie....
the guide will tell you about it....just remember, nitetime balongs to the 'gators'....only swim in daytime.....!!!! course they ain't the ONLY aquatic animulebobble around either....have fun...

OH don't miss the mounds not far away , it's old INdian Burial Grounds....

GENE

:cool: :cool: :cool: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :jester
Old 08-28-2002, 05:42 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle? (mrvette)

theres this little island (or peninsula??) called st georg'es island..

it has camping right next to the beach and a great sandy beach..

be sure and stop there and go for a swim!!!...
Old 08-28-2002, 06:30 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tangee-vette told you just right. Perfect cruise.

My son lives just past Garcon Point Bridge.

Been there, and done that drive many times. They don't come much better.

Old 08-28-2002, 08:43 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Re: Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle? (daily_driver)

Been about 6 years since I was in P'cola but also check out Hwy 292 west of Pensacola that turns into 180 along Perdido Key heading towards Gulf Shores Alabama.

Right on the FL-AL line on the beach is the world famous Flora-Bama lounge and package store, known for it's mullet tossing (it's a fish) and the occasional Jimmy Buffet concert.

Also worth checking out the Museum of Naval Aviation at NAS Pensacola. You should be able to get on the base since it is a public museum. Also some old Civil War forts on the base if history is your thing.

Pensacola Beach - did it when I was 24. :cheers: Definitely worth it.

Another thing to check out if you want to make the side trip is the battleship USS Alabama over in Mobile.

That's my $.02 off the top of my head (with a slight naval twist).
Old 08-29-2002, 07:00 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle? (SteveG75)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm definitely interested in naval history and was planning to hit the museum in Pensacola. I think I'm going to take Hwy 98 to Panama City Beach. If sounds like there are some good places to stop along the way.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle?

Quick Reply: Anybody have cruizing route suggestions for the Florida panhandle?