C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time at track: Went slow, had fun!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 11:24 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First time at track: Went slow, had fun!

Pretty much sums it up. Best I could do was 13.423 @ 104.71 and that was with a 1.311 reaction time. I think the car and me have a lot more in us. I wasn't ready the a/f ratio right so I kept richening it up when I should have been leaning it out. Trying to hurry when I should have been thinking. My plan to keep it below 6000 rpm's almost worked, I was shifting at that on the last few runs. Better reaction and tires plus good tuning and I think I can get close to the 12's. All and all a very fun time. :cheers:
Old 08-26-2002, 11:31 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (Fevre)

Pretty much sums it up. Best I could do was 13.423 @ 104.71 and that was with a 1.311 reaction time. I think the car and me have a lot more in us. I wasn't ready the a/f ratio right so I kept richening it up when I should have been leaning it out. Trying to hurry when I should have been thinking. My plan to keep it below 6000 rpm's almost worked, I was shifting at that on the last few runs. Better reaction and tires plus good tuning and I think I can get close to the 12's. All and all a very fun time. :cheers:
That's not bad.. I'm sure that with a little bit of practice you'll be in the 12's in no time...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 08-26-2002, 11:36 PM
SuperFast80
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (GrandSportC3)

Is this with the new roller cam? If so, how much faster does it feel than when you were up here?

Great times. :cheers: The car sounds STRONG.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:45 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (SuperFast80)

The reaction time want help your 1/4 mile time, but 13's are very respectable on street tires. Buy some slick and skinnys for the front. :cheers:

[Modified by Budman78, 9:47 PM 8/26/2002]
Old 08-27-2002, 12:34 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (Budman78)

That cam is smoking, I thought you sounded a little unhappy with it. You are easy 12's. Do you know what kind of horsepower you need to get into the 12's? :D
Old 08-27-2002, 01:11 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (MotorHead)

Wow, congrats, that is a great time especially for your first time out. :cheers:
Old 08-27-2002, 09:08 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Fevre
what jets did you run with, and what was in there before?

Good times so far :cheers:
Old 08-27-2002, 09:36 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (Matt Gruber)

no dobt that you could see twelves with a little practice. 104.7 miles per hours shows you got some HP there. What were you sixty foot times? reducing the sixty is always a good way to get into the 12s :D
Old 08-27-2002, 09:50 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (GrandSportC3)

GrandSportC3

Thanks, time didn't really matter just having fun is what counted.

Superfast

:yesnod: Other than the poor tuning by me, it ran great. Revs real fast and smooth. Just enough lobe to at idle to make you look. :)

Budman

Dah! I have watched enough racing on TV that I should have know that. :bb Must have been a late night brain fart.

Motorhead

I was afraid the cam was too big until I put the dp. It is great for the street and with the dp the power is awesome. I can't wait to get the carb tuned. Glad I decided to throw all the goodies on. Thanks again. No big burnouts after seeing the junk that coated the fenders on the guys in front of me. I'll save that for a back road.

gdh

Thanks, it was fun just to open it up and let it rock.

Matt

Well I ended up at 78 and 80 which now I know is WAY too big. I think 68 and 72 may be where I should be. Newbie tuner, can you tell? I can't believe I was reading the O2 sensor wrong, gonna give it another try this evening adn let you know where I end up at.

Only problem other than tuning was my fans stopped working. Since I was running so rich the car stayed pretty cool on the way home at 3500-4000 rpm's, never going above 190. Also my timing light crapped out on me Sun night so I am not sure where I am as far as timing. The headers dropped my under hood temp a ton. Also removed my flapper on my cowl induction since the actuator was unhooked anyways. So that must have allowed more cool air to get to the engine.

[Modified by Fevre, 7:51 AM 8/27/2002]
Old 08-27-2002, 09:55 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (QuickVet)

Thanks. I'll have to to look at my slips when I get home and post them. A couple times I just laid rubber for a good bit but that was also pretty fun. Until I replace my u-joints, seems I saw a grease fitting on a few, I do not want to try stickier tires. I also have lower profile tires which I am sure hurts my time. May get an extra set of tires for the strip.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:06 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a bad time! Got me beat.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:07 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

I can't believe how easy people here think it is to knock almost .5 sec off a 1/4 mile time. I'm not saying that Fevre can't do it (and I do want him to), but it is by no means a sure thing. Especially since all we have is the final ET and speed to go by.

I'll wait until I see the 60 ft and 1/8 et and mph before I'll guess as to if he'll be in the 12's.

Fevre, I'm not taking anything away from your run. In fact, I think a 13.4 is really impressive, especially for the first time out. I had a mildly modded '94 Vette with 320/330 rwhp/rwtq and I was running 13.1 @ 111 MPH with a 2.1 60 ft on my regular street tires. And like you said, it is all in fun. I just don't want you to expect to be *easily* into the 12's your next time out.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:13 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (Chris A)

Chris

No offense taken to me, I have no idea what it takes to drop a half second.

BTW I was at 104 mph 3 of my 5 runs and 103 on another. My first run I missed third gear. :bb
Old 08-27-2002, 11:17 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Just read some of the posts from others who ran at the strip with me last night and I guess the track sucked. No hook up. Guess .1 to .3 was the est. loss of time so my times may be even better than they first appeared.

Here are some of the comments:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=343675
Old 08-27-2002, 12:24 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fevre,
Your car seemed to run pretty well. I was only able to run a 14.14. Last time at Milan, I ran a 14 flat. The good ole stock big block can't hang with these built small blocks, Z06's and Vipers. I don't think I won a single race, but I had a blast. One of my mufflers broke off, and the car sounded a bit different. Anyway, it looked like you were having a good time and the car sounded nice.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:33 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (bb69)

Thanks, I did have fun. Was not to worried about times or even beating anyone, just didn't want to break. :) Like your rims and tires, do they hook up very well? I have no frame of reference so I do not know if my tires are any good. They semed to hook up pretty good but i did lay some rubber my last run. Hope to do it again soon. The guy that owns my company wants to run his 600+ Venom Viper. Wish I had, known he could have brought it.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:37 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: First time at track: Went slow, had fun! (bb69)

The .5 sec comes off his reaction time with pratice and with other tuning ect. he will be in the 12's

Get notified of new replies

To First time at track: Went slow, had fun!

Old 08-27-2002, 12:39 PM
SuperFast80
Race Director

No it won't. Reaction time is not figured into ET.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:44 PM
Fevre
Race Director

As stated though, reaction time doesn't factor into et just winning or losing. But from what I hear I should expected .1 to .3 lower times just from a traction stand point, track was slick from what everyone else was saying.

Even if I do get into the 12's, I probably won't know the difference. Maybe I should add a blower and skip the 12's altogether. :jester Don;t think the LM1 base would like that though. :smash:
Old 08-27-2002, 12:45 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The tires seemed to do ok, but I was not hooking up very well just as everyone else said. They didn't seem to be too much different than the old Road Huggers that were on there. However, they make a huge difference on the back roads. :yesnod:

Quick Reply: First time at track: Went slow, had fun!