C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater shut of valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 05:06 AM
VetteRN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater shut of valve

I've seen a few of you say that you installed shut of valves for your heaters to help with the heat prob. What does this consist of, where did you install? I have noticed that I have a steady flow of hot air coming through, did this seem to make your a/c work better? Thanks
Old 08-26-2002, 06:02 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Default Re: Heater shut of valve (VetteRN)

the heater shut off valve is a vacuum actuator. you connect it onto the feeder hose to the heater core. when vacuum is applied, it shuts of the hot water to the heater core. on my 79 the vacuum hose from the controler is a yellowish/white plastic vaccuum tube. on the 79 the valve is attacted to the fender skirt. i dont have pics. im reinstalling mine here shortly. hopefully someone will post pics to aid us in this. currently, i have the heater core by-passed. took a short piece of heater hose and connected the inlet directly to the outlet.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:37 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if this helps.
http://home.attbi.com/~jchadwick/ventilation.htm

Bob
Old 08-26-2002, 03:52 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Heater shut of valve (Bobchad)

I put a hardware store ball valve in one of the hoses. Easy on and off for the seasons.

Bummer is I turned it on the other day and this morning got a heavy mist of coolant out the heater outlets. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Joe
Old 08-26-2002, 05:13 PM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

I also have an article on the HVAC (1980) system at my page, but this went through large changes over the years.

I was quite surprised to see that the heating is not controlled by a valve, but instead, a door (operated by the cold/hot handle) distributes the air either through the heater core or bypassing it. This door was partly frozen in my car.

The waterpump has an internal bypass-passage so it's no problem to block of the heater core.

If you install a ball-valve I recommend to mount it on the suction side (water pump connection) since the polymer inside these valves tend to disintegrate in high temperatures.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:16 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Heater shut of valve (joe73vette)

My car did not come with one so I went to Autozone and bought a manual controled valve. I believe it was listed for a 77 Impala. It is setup for a cable to activate it. I just left it unconnected a placed it in the hose attached to the intake manafold. If I need to use it I lift the hood and turn it on. Valve cost about $13.00 and is for 5/8" hose.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:00 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This may not be terribly relevant for a 1974, but this is the vacuum-actuated valve in my 1979. It does work very well.

Old 08-26-2002, 10:09 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Heater shut of valve (paul79)

I found a cute little water valve at AutoZone for my El Camino the other day and it is very compact. I mean very compact. I haven't got a picture of it but it is an inline valve that is operated with a little tee on the top. It is marked Factory Air # 84706 Shut-Off Valve.

I think it was about $7.00. JIM

Old 08-26-2002, 11:09 PM
Ghostrider
Pro

I don't understand why you even bother with the vacuum operated or even ball valves in Florida. I drive car in summer only and installed 3/4" and 5/8"brass plumming plugs in water pump and engine of my ZZ-4 and removed both hoses and 3-way vacuum valve but left the heating core (drained) with a flush cut black painted cork. Neatest set up you have ever seen and no "heating problems" any more.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:53 AM
VetteRN
Instructor

Default Re: Heater shut of valve (Ingar, Norway)

The waterpump has an internal bypass-passage so it's no problem to block of the heater core.
So From what I am seeing, all I need to do is splice the hose coming out of the intake manifold and place a manual valve there. By doing this there is no effect to my waterpump flow - except that to the heater. Is that the just of it???? Thats too easy. Thanks all
Old 08-27-2002, 04:49 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote: "So From what I am seeing, all I need to do is splice the hose coming out of the intake manifold and place a manual valve there. By doing this there is no effect to my waterpump flow - except that to the heater. Is that the just of it???? Thats too easy. Thanks all"

Yep, that's it, in a nut shell!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Heater shut of valve

Quick Reply: Heater shut of valve