C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:03 PM
dontreadonme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header bolts

Reaching out once more to finish last project of the season.

In an attempt to close up all of my little exhaust leaks, I replaced gaskets on the headers. purchased new arp bolts.

Noticed the original bolt on the front right side was missing... When I attempted to install the new bolt, noticed I couldnt get it to bite into the hole leading me to believe the hole got stripped...

Want to try to install a stud into the head in hopes the 'inner' threads are still ok. Have hooker sidepipes and the original bolts were small so i think I might have a chance here...

What size stud and threading am I looking for to try this?

Doesnt sound bad now.. But leaking air around that port because of the missing bolt..
Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Loosen all of the other bolts THEN screw your new bolt in. But its always best to NOT use gaskets on either exhaust manifolds or headers.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:40 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

The thread is 3/8" X 16. Always use gaskets.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:31 AM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

Probably already know to tighten bolts working from center out, remove opposite direction.
I have had good luck with copper gaskets
Good luck
Old 08-12-2015, 11:57 AM
dontreadonme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you much everyone for posting
Hoping theres some thread left!

If not, I know there are a few options out there, all over my skill level... Dont want to think that way.. That stud is giong to work!
Old 08-12-2015, 03:58 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Once you get that bolt in and tighten all the bolts, drive it for a bit let cool and then re-tighten all the bolts, drive some more let cool and re-tighten. The gasket will compress a bit. If you don't go back and re-tighten then you will develop leaks again.
Regular bolts for headers have a way of loosening over time. So either find a way to make sure they stay tight, come back and check them periodically, or get something like the stage 8 header bolts.
I use the stage eight's and have had no issues with leakage or loosening with them.
I find them a little spendy for what they are, but they do work as advertised and the bolts are stainless. Some modification of the locking cam is necessary depending on your primary size.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:22 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
.....But its always best to NOT use gaskets on headers.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

Yes, there will be slight leakage when not using gaskets but then there is nothing that can blow out, huh? Chevrolet has never put exhaust manifold gaskets on their engines for that same reason.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:36 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Yes, there will be slight leakage when not using gaskets but then there is nothing that can blow out, huh? Chevrolet has never put exhaust manifold gaskets on their engines for that same reason.
The OP has headers, not exhaust manifolds, maybe you missed that.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:51 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SH-60B
The OP has headers, not exhaust manifolds, maybe you missed that.

Yes, I know he has headers and headers don't require gaskets. Just bolt them up tight.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:16 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Yes, I know he has headers and headers don't require gaskets. Just bolt them up tight.
Let me reiterate......

Old 08-13-2015, 09:44 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

This is funny
Old 08-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Then why does Chevy make them?

50 year old manifolds that are pitted and warped don't seal so well.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Header bolts

Chevrolet never put exhaust gaskets on their engines huh. Ever work on a C6 Vette. All the LS series use an exhaust manifold gasket. Most say to just reuse the stock gasket when putting headers on a C6. Foolish to not use gaskets on a sbc also. Think your out there on an island all by yourself with this one.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Loosen all of the other bolts THEN screw your new bolt in. But its always best to NOT use gaskets on either exhaust manifolds or headers.
OK, I get it now. You like to say silly things and then sit back and chuckle at the responses. Well done!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:45 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Chevrolet never put exhaust gaskets on their engines huh. Ever work on a C6 Vette. All the LS series use an exhaust manifold gasket. Most say to just reuse the stock gasket when putting headers on a C6. Foolish to not use gaskets on a sbc also. Think your out there on an island all by yourself with this one.

I'm referring to the C3's since this is a C3 forum. In the 20 years I was a professional engine builder and the 30 years since I have never used exhaust manifold gaskets. Just because the overhaul gasket sets include them it doesn't mean you have to use them.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:47 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

where do you come up with this mis-information?

Get notified of new replies

To Header bolts

Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Header bolts

I'm referring to the C3's since this is a C3 forum. In the 20 years I was a professional engine builder and the 30 years since I have never used exhaust manifold gaskets. Just because the overhaul gasket sets include them it doesn't mean you have to use them.
You said Chevrolet NEVER used exhaust manifold gaskets. Makes no difference what forum section this is, you said they never used them period. Wrong. Said you were referring to C3's, well a C3 is not an engine, it's a generation code for a complete car. Not buying the "professional" engine builder comment either. If you really were, you would know better. If you don't want to use gaskets, fine, but the rest of us will. Read any book, attend any class, watch any true pro engine builder, ALL will say to use exhaust manifold / header gaskets. Using your logic there is no need to use head or intake manifold gaskets either. Crazy stuff.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:53 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redvetracr
where do you come up with this mis-information?
This isn't the first time, he's put out some mis-information, either. Problem is, people come here looking for solid information, and come upon this kind of misinformation, and think it's accurate. It gives the CF a bad reputation....
Old 08-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Quick Reply: Header bolts