C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FiTech Go EFI Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 AM
StingRazor
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. I'll be putting one on a 73 as soon as I have the cash.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:06 PM
BDubby
1st Gear

Default Group Purchase

Originally Posted by briankeery
Perhaps we should inquire about a group buy? Any interest?
I too am interested in a group purchase.
Located here in Toronto Canada.

First posting BTW. Not a Corvette owner but my car did come equipped with a Corvette drive train.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I emailed them again a the other week and haven't heard anything back. I was hoping that they would be at Carlisle and/or Funfest. I don't think that Brian heard back from them re:a group purchase.
Still the only reviews I've read are from this forum and the vintage Mustang one. So far all positive.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Over on a Pontiac and a pro touring site this thread is getting lots of views and generating more sales. One guy was talking with Ken last week at Goodguys and was told just ver 500 units have shipped, no returns and no issues so far. A lot of ppl seem to be searching for reviews, those who have bought and reviewed have all commented positively on build quality, how quickly the unit learns, how much better the driving experience is and ease of install. Kens also stated that the 600 hp rating is conservative for the unit when asked by a member who was planning on building a 600 hp motor if he shoyld step up to the 1200 unit. Ken said that it would not be necessary. The units use GM injectors.

Last edited by gdh; 08-31-2015 at 10:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SoldmyWS64AC5 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-14-2015, 07:52 AM
BrooksCJ
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Update

Well, I've had the kit on the car for a couple hundred miles now, so I wanted to give you an update. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the kit. The support from Ken at FiTech has been phenomenal.

I ran into a couple of issues that Ken helped me with.

1. Hard Start After Being Warm (car took slightly longer to start) - Ken had me adjust the butterfly plates a little, so the car could get more air, since I have a mild cam. The car started perfectly after that adjustment.

2. He also had me adjust (add) the amount of fuel that goes into the engine during cranking. There are 3 settings (different temp levels) that I adjusted. After doing that, everything was working perfectly.

3. After all was running great, I started having issues starting the car when it was cold. I noticed that the display would go blank or go blue when I tried to start the engine. After talking to Ken, he said that was a ground issue. After looking around for the grounds, most had been removed (exhaust, starter to engine). Since the TBI unit uses the engine as it's ground, the injectors weren't firing. I went ahead and added some engine ground straps and it started right up. Lesson learned: Make sure you have good grounds!

As you can see, I ran into a couple small issues, but the car is running great now and Ken helped me work through the issues. If I had to do it again, I would still do it.

C.J.

Originally Posted by BrooksCJ
First off, I would like to thank MrScott for his great write-up. I used his install as a guide, but I did do some things a little different.

Fuel Command Center Install
I decided to install the Fuel Command Center on the passenger side firewall. In my opinion, that was the hardest item to install.

Fuel Command Center Location

Fuel Line Install
When hooking up the fuel lines, I ran into one issue. The kit was suppose to come with a plug for the return line, but instead came with an extra inlet plug. I talked to Ken at FiTech and he overnighted me the return plug I needed. Talk about good customer support. I'm sure that cost him a lot to ship a $4.00 part overnight. Other than that, the fuel line install went smoothly.

Vent Line Install
I had an 8PSI electric carb fuel pump installed for my car already, so I wasn't using the old manual fuel pump return line. I decided to use that as the vent tube line for the Fuel Command Center.

Electric Fans
Just like MrScott, I didn't use the timing control, but I did use the electric fan setup on the kit. To get it working, I cut the wire that went to my old coolant temp sensor and spiced it to the yellow wire on main harness on the EFI unit. Of course I had to install the new coolant temp sensor and connect that wire back to the TBI unit. Very easy to do.

Everything else went smoothly, just like MrScott said in his install. I have about 20 miles on the car, but I did notice a slight hard start issue, so I adjusted the butterflies screw a quarter turn and it seems to have resolved the issue. After I get some more miles on it, I'll let you know what I think of the kit.

Drivers Side Pic of TBI Unit

Passenger Side Pic of TBI Unit
SpeedRacerMach (05-30-2017)
Old 09-14-2015, 08:45 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

I guess building a self contained unit with no external ecu, efi is not an issue. At least I haven't read any of the online posts mention it. Thanks for the update and grounding tip.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:39 PM
thyshallsmite
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has there been any word in regards to side pipes on what to do with the 02 sensor?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:48 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Just read that they got the global media award at SEMA for their new multiport system. No idea on pricing, they also said it made no difference power wise on the dyno up to 500 hp after that the multiport showed better results over the tbi unit.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:48 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by gdh
Just read that they got the global media award at SEMA for their new multiport system. No idea on pricing, they also said it made no difference power wise on the dyno up to 500 hp after that the multiport showed better results over the tbi unit.

NICE looking forward seeing some prices from them!!

And for all other FiTech owners, are you still happing with our set?

Also what was your total cost, with everything needed to start up the engine and drive??
Old 11-08-2015, 03:08 PM
BrooksCJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by c3_dk
NICE looking forward seeing some prices from them!!

And for all other FiTech owners, are you still happing with our set?

Also what was your total cost, with everything needed to start up the engine and drive??
I'm still very happy with mine. It's starts and runs great with no more gas smell. I also don't need to let the engine fully warm up before driving. With them carb, I use to get a slight stumble when I came up to a stop sign when cold and tried to turn and accelerate.

As for the price ($995 for EFI Unit/$375 for FCC/plus shipping), I just had to purchase a vented gas cap, since my 70 came with a sealed one. Everything else I needed was in the kit.

BTW, I also upgraded the firmware after I had installed the unit. It was really easy to done. They walked me through it over the phone.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:46 PM
81corvettevortec
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Really considering this for my 81. I've already got all the emissions stuff taken off with a 650 Demon carb. Typical card, runs good some days, runs like crap others. Curious if anyone ran into height issues? Right now i need a 1.5" drop base filter to clear the stock hood with an Edelbrock performer intake. Not looking to change my hood anytime soon so this would be a must.
CA-Legal-Vette (02-29-2016)
Old 11-15-2015, 09:13 PM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 81corvettevortec
Really considering this for my 81. I've already got all the emissions stuff taken off with a 650 Demon carb. Typical card, runs good some days, runs like crap others. Curious if anyone ran into height issues? Right now i need a 1.5" drop base filter to clear the stock hood with an Edelbrock performer intake. Not looking to change my hood anytime soon so this would be a must.
You are in luck. I can answer for certain....Mine is an 81 w/ Edelbrock Performer 2101 Intake. L-81 (l-48) stock hood. It fits fine.

Before I made the efi switch I was forced to use a drop base on the carb. Now I use the original cold air intake on top of the efi unit. You could use the drop base if you don't have the original air cleaner and it it would have even more hood clearance.

The only caveat is to my advice is that you double check what you mean by Edelbrock "performer" intake. I have the 2101 "performer" intake which is identical height as the factory intake. I think there are other variants of the "performer" line that may be taller...you need to check that.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:35 PM
81corvettevortec
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrscott25
You are in luck. I can answer for certain....Mine is an 81 w/ Edelbrock Performer 2101 Intake. L-81 (l-48) stock hood. It fits fine.

Before I made the efi switch I was forced to use a drop base on the carb. Now I use the original cold air intake on top of the efi unit. You could use the drop base if you don't have the original air cleaner and it it would have even more hood clearance.

The only caveat is to my advice is that you double check what you mean by Edelbrock "performer" intake. I have the 2101 "performer" intake which is identical height as the factory intake. I think there are other variants of the "performer" line that may be taller...you need to check that.
Awesome! That answers my question perfectly. I have the performer intake for vortec heads, but I checked and its got the same height measurements as the model # you posted. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2015, 04:25 AM
HandOverFist
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 227 Likes on 133 Posts

Hello folks...been prowling this and similar other threads on the net for awhile now. I decided to join to get some feedback from more FiTech owners about their experiences with the unit.

I've had mine for about two months now, but it is not installed due to my vehicle still being in the body work/paint stage of a build. Helping others with tuning issues on their installed units I recently discovered an oddity with the FiTech setup. It appears they installed heavier than normal throttle shaft return springs on the TB...supposedly to eliminate the need for return springs. Do any of you folks with the units in service have any complaints about excessive throttle pedal pressure?

Rich
Old 12-22-2015, 07:03 AM
BrooksCJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by HandOverFist
Hello folks...been prowling this and similar other threads on the net for awhile now. I decided to join to get some feedback from more FiTech owners about their experiences with the unit.

I've had mine for about two months now, but it is not installed due to my vehicle still being in the body work/paint stage of a build. Helping others with tuning issues on their installed units I recently discovered an oddity with the FiTech setup. It appears they installed heavier than normal throttle shaft return springs on the TB...supposedly to eliminate the need for return springs. Do any of you folks with the units in service have any complaints about excessive throttle pedal pressure?

Rich
If you are talking about the FiTech TBI unit, I don't have any excessive throttle pedal pressure in mine. It seems to have the same resistance as my carburetor did. I even used throttle return springs on mine. I didn't see anything in the instructions stating that you didn't have to use them. I hope that helps.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:33 AM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BrooksCJ
If you are talking about the FiTech TBI unit, I don't have any excessive throttle pedal pressure in mine. It seems to have the same resistance as my carburetor did. I even used throttle return springs on mine. I didn't see anything in the instructions stating that you didn't have to use them. I hope that helps.
That's odd. I just received and installed my FiTech setup (w/Command Center) late last week. This is on a healthy 427 powered Chevelle, fwiw.

Car runs great, but pedal resistance is pretty brutal...

I actually disconnected the factory spring from the primary side of the TB unit, and for most of the throttle travel, solely use my aftermarket cable bracket and spring return setup.

My cold start has been hit or miss, but warm restarts and driveability so far, is pretty darn good.

Here's my install thread link, for the the sake of information sharing. Even has some pics and IN CAR Videos for your enjoyment.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835633
Old 12-22-2015, 10:32 AM
HandOverFist
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 227 Likes on 133 Posts

Yes, that is very odd (hello Bob hehe). The one I have on the bench is extremely stiff as well...makes me wonder if they did a revision of sorts in later production. Another member talked with FiTech and they admitted the reasoning was to do away with return springs.

Get notified of new replies

To FiTech Go EFI Review

Old 12-22-2015, 11:04 AM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HandOverFist
Yes, that is very odd (hello Bob hehe). The one I have on the bench is extremely stiff as well...makes me wonder if they did a revision of sorts in later production. Another member talked with FiTech and they admitted the reasoning was to do away with return springs.
Mine, as delivered, and with a dual return spring setup, was like trying to push a brick through the floorboards...

In the end, I wound up removing the factory coiled spring from the primary side, and using just one aftermarket return spring that came with my bracketry.

They actually sell a return spring setup, similar to what I have...BUT if you look at the picture, I don't think they show a coiled spring around the primary side throttle shaft??

Last edited by rel3rd; 12-22-2015 at 11:05 AM.
gdh (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 01:37 PM
bbconly454
1st Gear

Default Fitec users

How has the Fitec fuel injection systems been working with a cammed up engine. Can you self tune them like the fast system? How does it perform in cold temps?

Last edited by bbconly454; 01-22-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:56 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Mine, as delivered, and with a dual return spring setup, was like trying to push a brick through the floorboards...

In the end, I wound up removing the factory coiled spring from the primary side, and using just one aftermarket return spring that came with my bracketry.

They actually sell a return spring setup, similar to what I have...BUT if you look at the picture, I don't think they show a coiled spring around the primary side throttle shaft??

I've been following your posts over on the Chevelle forum for awhile now. Excellent thorough posts.

Quick Reply: FiTech Go EFI Review