C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I run without this???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:16 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I run without this???

Working on engine the other day replacing water pump and thermostat. Noted that one of the hose connections on the Thermal Valve Vacuum Control Switch, coming out of the top of the thermostat cover was broken (the lower one). Which goes from the valve to the exhaust (actuator?). So I took that hose and connected directly to the carb. By doing so disconnecting the top hose from the valve which ran from the top of the valve to the carb. Not a mechanic so I hope someone is still with me on this.
My question is do I even need this valve on a 1975 with air pump removed to run properly? Going to have my carb rebuilt shortly and not sure how that would affect that process.
As always thanks for the advice.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:17 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not sure what the exhaust actuator is but the vac lines on the thermostats housing help with warm up. You may loose a tiny bit of performance because your sucking warm air off the exhaust manifold or something like that but drivability should be fine
Old 04-15-2015, 02:27 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,609 Posts

disconnect the hose to the EFE, it will stay open and not block exhaust flow. Remove all lines to the TVCS and plug with a rubber cap any port on the carburetor running to the TVCS.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:36 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all the help. Yes you're exactly right it helps the warm-up. I know what you're talking about just had trouble explaining it. I'll also look into disconnecting and plugging those other lines.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I run without this???

Quick Reply: Can I run without this???