C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for a place to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:58 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default looking for a place to start

Here goes:
72 small block convertible 4 speed with air.

I have had this car for about ten years. Everything on this car has been touched, either by me or by previous owners. Very little is original. My hands have been everywhere on this car from bumper to bumper.

I parked it two years ago because I got tired of it dying on me everywhere I drove it. Yesterday I decided to pull it out of storage and fire it up.

It starts right off and runs ok. When it has run for a few minutes, it dies (electrically speaking). NO POWER to anything. Not even a click from the ignition. Everything shuts off: radio, fans, everything. Then I let it sit for a minute or two or three, and it starts up like nothing bad ever happened.

The interruption is random: sometimes longer than other times.

This is definitely beyond my skill level, so any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi b,
Since the problem affects EVERYTHING and is so random I think I'd begin by looking at the connections at the battery.
Especially the ground connection at the battery and frame.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-05-2015, 11:10 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to clarify, you mean EVERYTHING?
No horn, no lights, not even brake lights?????

Old 04-05-2015, 03:12 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MrJlr
Just to clarify, you mean EVERYTHING?
No horn, no lights, not even brake lights?????

Absolutely everything shuts off: radio, fans on radiator, engine, horn, etc etc etc...............then in a little while it will come back like it was never gone.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:32 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by brdd
Absolutely everything shuts off: radio, fans on radiator, engine, horn, etc etc etc...............then in a little while it will come back like it was never gone.
Then like Alan said, ground from battery.
An outage that severe has to be the power source is disconnected.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

I find the easiest way to trace a circuit is with a test light. In your case I would check the red wire connection at the starter first (the one that goes back to the alternator), and the fat battery wire, along with the main grounds and battery connections.

Use the schematic, trace from the battery starter alternator
Old 04-05-2015, 05:07 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a lift so I will get it up in the air asap. Now I have another problem. The drivers door was closed and will not open. It is locked good. Something has jammed inside the mechanism. I have tried for an hour-plus to get it open.....no luck. Any help here would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:36 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

I have a lift so I will get it up in the air asap. Now I have another problem. The drivers door was closed and will not open. It is locked good. Something has jammed inside the mechanism. I have tried for an hour-plus to get it open.....no luck. Any help here would be appreciated.
An AAA guy might be able to Slim-Jim it open.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Now I have another problem. The drivers door was closed and will not open. It is locked good. Something has jammed inside the mechanism. I have tried for an hour-plus to get it open.....no luck. Any help here would be appreciated.
There are many posts on the forum that show the EXACT PLACE you can press a lever in your latch mechanism and OVERRIDE it and the door will open.....JUST as long as you can roll the window down. I can open you door in under 15 seconds....it is that simple....ONCE you know where to press.

Look at this:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...mmed-shut.html

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-05-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:10 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep I got the door open. Once I found the "sweet spot" it opened easily.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yesterday we finally found the problem.

After replacing several items, we still did not have any power anywhere. We dropped the steering column and looked at the two connectors for the ignition. Both had seen better days and at one time both were molested by a previous owner or a Bubba. So we ordered them in and soldered them into the wiring. Still no go.

At that point we started looking at the wiring harnesses connected on the firewall. Since we had replaced the engine bay harness a few years ago, we started looking at the dash harness for continuity. When it came to a red wire, there was no voltage going through, but there was voltage coming from the starter. A jumper wire confirmed that, indeed, there was a problem inside the dash harness. On these old cars, anything can break or fail.

We ran a new wire from the power wire to the correct ignition connector. The car now has all power and fires up.

Today we will reinstall the column and get it outside, clean it up and take it for a (reliable) drive for the first time in a long time.

I could not have done it without my car pal, Jeff. He has forgotten more about cars than I'll ever know. Without him I would have taken the car to a pro somewhere.

What a job this was.................

Get notified of new replies

To looking for a place to start

Quick Reply: looking for a place to start