C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black mold on rims?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:46 PM
samdjr74
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Black mold on rims?

Hi All,

I'm trying to clean up a set of rims before I put new tires on them. The previous owner told me that they may have had fix a flat in the old tires at one point and that could be the reason for this black gunk/mold.

First, has anyone ever seen this before?
Second, how do I get it off?

Thanks,
Sam

Old 03-25-2015, 03:18 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I'd start with soap and water and a scrubbing pad. If that didn't get it then move up to carb cleaner or similar chemical to get it off. If that don't get it then a wire wheel, and try not to remove too much aluminum with it.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:00 PM
samdjr74
Racer

So far I've tried Meguiars wheel cleaner and a scrub brush, this hasn't done much. I was thinking about using a paint remover that goes on the end of a drill but I don't want to damage the rim.

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I'd start with soap and water and a scrubbing pad. If that didn't get it then move up to carb cleaner or similar chemical to get it off. If that don't get it then a wire wheel, and try not to remove too much aluminum with it.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,251 Likes on 969 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Have you tried some '3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner' (weather strip remover).
That might remove whatever it is and not damage the wheels.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:31 PM
samdjr74
Racer

I have not but it's worth a try, thanks!

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Have you tried some '3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner' (weather strip remover).
That might remove whatever it is and not damage the wheels.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:58 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by samdjr74
So far I've tried Meguiars wheel cleaner and a scrub brush, this hasn't done much. I was thinking about using a paint remover that goes on the end of a drill but I don't want to damage the rim.
I'm no expert on metallurgy, but those are rims that are exposed to all manner of chemicals, salt, water, gasoline and whatever else they encounter on the road, I don't think they are fragile.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

That black stuff on your rims is a rubber sealer they slop on the rim's edge when they are mounting the tires. It helps seal the tire to the aluminum rim and prevents leaks. You can remove it with a round, fine wire brush mounted in an electric drill. You don't have to get fancy when you remove it, as they'll just put more on when you have your new tires mounted.
Duane
Old 03-25-2015, 06:30 PM
samdjr74
Racer

Good to know, thanks. I was thinking of getting a brass wire wheel on my grinder and trying that but a fine wire brush on the drill sounds like a better plan

Originally Posted by Duane4238
That black stuff on your rims is a rubber sealer they slop on the rim's edge when they are mounting the tires. It helps seal the tire to the aluminum rim and prevents leaks. You can remove it with a round, fine wire brush mounted in an electric drill. You don't have to get fancy when you remove it, as they'll just put more on when you have your new tires mounted.
Duane
Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not that it matters.....but I come across this quite often. AND if I can see that the aluminum is not corroded...and it is 'stuff' stuck to the wheel. I use automotive lacquer thinner and red scotch-brite pad and it comes off rather easily. The I go across the parking lot to the shop that mounts tires and I put it on the wheel balancer and spin it up and give it a final clean.

I have even taken sandpaper while it is spinning on the wheel balancer to cleanup the pitted aluminum. And for those who are going to 'freak-out' because I am using sandpaper...TRUST ME...I know what I am doing and I am not removing enough material to remotely effect the wheels strength.....BECAUSE...if there are pits and corroded areas...then the aluminum is already missing.

DUB
Old 03-25-2015, 07:10 PM
samdjr74
Racer

I wish I had access to a balancer so I could do something like that, I'm sure it would speed up the process. I'll try the thinner as well, I have a gallon of it in the garage.

Originally Posted by DUB
Not that it matters.....but I come across this quite often. AND if I can see that the aluminum is not corroded...and it is 'stuff' stuck to the wheel. I use automotive lacquer thinner and red scotch-brite pad and it comes off rather easily. The I go across the parking lot to the shop that mounts tires and I put it on the wheel balancer and spin it up and give it a final clean.

I have even taken sandpaper while it is spinning on the wheel balancer to cleanup the pitted aluminum. And for those who are going to 'freak-out' because I am using sandpaper...TRUST ME...I know what I am doing and I am not removing enough material to remotely effect the wheels strength.....BECAUSE...if there are pits and corroded areas...then the aluminum is already missing.

DUB
Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

I wish I had access to a balancer so I could do something like that, I'm sure it would speed up the process. I'll try the thinner as well, I have a gallon of it in the garage.
Just be careful. I use it in a well ventilated area and proper gloves and eye protection.

DUB
Old 03-26-2015, 01:03 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

If the thinner does not work...use Goof Off...takes off sticky stuff safely
Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Will do

Originally Posted by DUB
Just be careful. I use it in a well ventilated area and proper gloves and eye protection.

DUB
Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Good idea, I have some of that as well

Originally Posted by mikem350
If the thinner does not work...use Goof Off...takes off sticky stuff safely
Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 AM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

You might want to use an aluminum wire brush instead of steel...this will prevent dissimilar metal corrosion...Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:58 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Ok, I'll look for one. Any idea what a brass brush might do?

Originally Posted by 4SPDL81
You might want to use an aluminum wire brush instead of steel...this will prevent dissimilar metal corrosion...Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Ok, I'll look for one. Any idea what a brass brush might do?
Brass will not effect the aluminum due to not being a ferrous material.

YES...galvanic action occurs when aluminum and a steel (ferrous) material come in contact with each other....BUT it is when a substance such as salt is also introduced to this area is when you can have a PROBLEM... SO...honestly...using a steel brush is not going to leave enough steel embedded into the aluminum to where you should need to be concerned....ESPECIALLY if you go over the area with sand paper which will remove any minute traces that may have been left behind from the steel brush. And this is confirmed when I pull bodies on early Corvettes which have been local southern cars their entire life....and the condition of the aluminum body biscuits that have been in contact with steel for 30+ years are still in really good condition....BUT....If I get a northern Corvette that was in the salt...I have seen the aluminum body biscuits literally shatter when hit with a hammer.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Black mold on rims?

Old 03-26-2015, 06:28 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

And this is confirmed when I pull bodies on early Corvettes which have been local southern cars their entire life....and the condition of the aluminum body biscuits that have been in contact with steel for 30+ years are still in really good condition....BUT....If I get a northern Corvette that was in the salt...I have seen the aluminum body biscuits literally shatter when hit with a hammer.
That is pretty interesting. A guy learns a lot working on old stuff.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
That is pretty interesting. A guy learns a lot working on old stuff.
YES...A lot of 'things' I have noticed over the years. A LOT! When I perform inspections for potential buyers...I can go right to the areas where I will know where it has been or what it has been subjected to and in many cases..... I am done in under 5 minutes....and tell the potential buyer to 'RUN' from it. OR get ready to spend a BUNCH OF $$$$$.

DUB
Old 03-27-2015, 04:36 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duane4238
Duane

Quick Reply: Black mold on rims?