C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'73 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Msbfdx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default '73 Headlights

My '73 Coupe right hand head light is slow to open and close. I have replaced all springs, all vacuum lines (I literally mean all... from the headlight switch and bypass valve, all engine lines and all lines to-from headlights, relays, actuators and tank) and new filter and check valve. There doesn't appear to be any binding in either mechanism.

I haven't changed the actuator rod seals or boots. Any thoughts on whether it is relays or actuators rod seals?

Many thanks in advance for advice and help.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Swap the lines from the switch to the actuators and see if the problem stays (actuator problem) or moves to the other light (switch problem)

To check the actuator for diaphragm or boot, block off the front (straight) port and see if you can still pull the rod out (even with some drag) if you can, the seal boot is leaking, install a new one.

Blocking the rear port (90 deg one) and if you can move the rod, the main diaphragm is leaking and the unit needs to be replaced

HIH
M
Old 03-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Msbfdx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Many thanks. I will give it a try.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:16 PM
tejasak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure to check the vacuum relays.

http://www.corvette-101.com/vacuum.htm#relay
Old 03-15-2015, 11:58 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Mooser
Swap the lines from the switch to the actuators and see if the problem stays (actuator problem) or moves to the other light (switch problem)

To check the actuator for diaphragm or boot, block off the front (straight) port and see if you can still pull the rod out (even with some drag) if you can, the seal boot is leaking, install a new one.

Blocking the rear port (90 deg one) and if you can move the rod, the main diaphragm is leaking and the unit needs to be replaced

HIH
M

It sounds like either the actuator diaphragm or rod seal is the culprit. Following Mooser's advice, you should be able to quickly determine which one it is.

Get notified of new replies

To '73 Headlights

Quick Reply: '73 Headlights