C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too much HP.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:19 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

You might consider getting an all mechanical distributor (no vac advance). Small block chevies usually make max power on about 36 deg total timing. Some a little less if they are running the vortec style cylinder heads... but I digress. If the distributor has 24 degrees of vacuum and mechanical advance, then setting the initial timing to about 10 degrees will put you in the ballpark.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:25 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

also the vacuum advance won't contribute anything at WOT, so you would need to compensate for that. Adjust with it disconnected or eliminate it.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
You might consider getting an all mechanical distributor (no vac advance). Small block chevies usually make max power on about 36 deg total timing. Some a little less if they are running the vortec style cylinder heads... but I digress. If the distributor has 24 degrees of vacuum and mechanical advance, then setting the initial timing to about 10 degrees will put you in the ballpark.
All that's going to do is **** away the guy's gas mileage and heat the hell out of the exhaust valves.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:02 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

how old are your tires?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain bob
i have listen to my brothers on this forum and feel i have made a mistake.i built a 408" sbc with all forged short block,AFR 195 heads,1.6 dollar rockers.lunati rollar cam,air gap rpm manifold.labor no object machine shop time no object ,balance to 1 gram,all the best CNC bored and surfaced dead nuts.10.6 compression,.005 deck height.Molodon 7 qt pan,HV pick up and pump.first question; i used Lars ignition timing with empty HEI just a pick up i use MSD to fire.i put rubber band on HEI weights then disconnect vacuum disregard initial timing and take it up to 2500rpm and set at 36 degrees .initial was 23 degrees at 1000 rpm.i feel this is high when connected with vacuum advance it comes out to 54degrees.i put on road -------------ridiculous 3.55 rear with turbo 400 1st gear (700R4 on bench)spins goodyear radial 225/r 15 like i had bicycle tires .i do i calm this monster down! will dangerously break wheels loose in normal passing situation.
225 radials, yeah you should probably get 275 or larger and maybe even go drag radials. Did you make a mistake? In my opinion, not at all unless you could have went larger. Use your right foot to limit the initial. they can make a 1000 horse hook on 10.5" tires, you should be able to hook with a set of 275's. A single plane intake would help reduce low end and Worse case scenario you could always use too large of a cam to reduce the low end. But as i mentioned you should start with larger tires and when you go to the 700r4 the low first gear is going to make traction even more challenging.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:12 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not too much horsepower. It's too much right foot. Get better tires and learn how to control the right foot.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:26 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Get you a set of Nitto 555R drag radials in a 275/60/15, put them on your stock ralley wheel and let it eat.. It will still blow them off from a dead stop but from a 20 mph roll, it will hook on them.
i just put a set on mine and actually it handles better than the cooper cobras that were on the car. i suspect they will even be better in the rain. those cobras supplied NO grip.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:34 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

strictly speaking as a casual observer when richie from PCHS racing engines assemble the short block and insisted he would use his parts the forged crank had holes thru the crank throws and throws we also knife edge.this along with 6" HP. damper and moroso hp. flex plate.H beam 6" rods add tons of torque and Richie Zull insisted on them along with those forged light weight piston with 3/16" hand filed rings and special roller chain from germany. apparently i guess this is what makes this engine go from 1000rpm to 6000 rpm in seconds. i agree sort of a waste for a sunny day summer joy ride car.
i knew richie years ago when he was dominating the pro-stock class, he is a great engine builder, one of the best. last i heard he was building boat engines. if he was involved your cars a Runner.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJlr
You could put a much smaller carb on it
Or 1.5 rockers. The carb will only take a little off the top end.

I finally just gave up on 15" street tires. Just ordered some 9.5" Coys C5 with Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s, summertime only baby!

Steve
Old 03-13-2015, 02:50 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I think that reducing cam size and or carb size will only add to low end, if traction is an issue and tires don't cure it, then you need to take away from the lower end. I still think that wider tire will do wonders for the traction issues.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:06 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
It's not too much horsepower. It's too much right foot. Get better tires and learn how to control the right foot.
And theres no such thing as too much power, just too much happy pedal. Put new tires on it and learn how to drive it. I imagine the tires you have on it are rock hard and old and a stock L48 could spin them
Old 03-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7t9182 i would never ever say anything about richie Zulll on this forum every body would label me BS. however i was there and saw it with my own eyes at NHRA nationals.the pro stock boys hated him and threaten our life`s if we were not out of town by sundown. exactly like taking your wife`s car in the garage work on it go to Daytona take a lap and qualify for 50th pole position then win by a car length.no sponsor ,plane white camaro with his name on back of car look like he drove in from parking lot ,starting in last place round robin so he had five times the runs on that engine as any of the leaders turning over 1000 rpm more then any other car beats Chevolet sponsored Warren Johnson on final run.----ridiculous how is that possible 498" big block one four barrel.final Dyno run at 4am before installing in car and nobody saw nothing 1834hp at way past 9000 rpm.!!!I am not even going into the APBA boat racing and not many people would comprehend a race boat that never lost or even place second finally the "the boys" burn the boat while on the trailer in the pits. no more discussion he is gifted and thinks way out of the box.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:00 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Originally Posted by bluedawg
I think that reducing cam size and or carb size will only add to low end, if traction is an issue and tires don't cure it, then you need to take away from the lower end. I still think that wider tire will do wonders for the traction issues.
thank you blue dawg i was considering installing a Holley 600cfm i have but you are right it will just take away from top end i will go with 275/r-15 hopefully i will not raise height of car at rear as of now it is 1/4" higher in rear.the motor showed 565hp on first pull i was not happy so we removed single plane high rise manifold with 11/2" spacer along with that other cam i mention took hp al the way down to 516hp at 5600. i will leave it at that and learn to drive like he said Captain some of us go with .02 reaction you may need one minute to figure the lights went from yellow to green!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:06 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can find many different drag radial tire sizes meet your needs .do you have a 3310 vac -secondary carb on it ? thats what I see in the pics of the motor .if so put a very stiff spring in it to slow down the opening of the secondary .also consider better shocks and springs to help transfer weight for better traction .
Old 03-13-2015, 06:32 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Originally Posted by garygnu
you can find many different drag radial tire sizes meet your needs .do you have a 3310 vac -secondary carb on it ? thats what I see in the pics of the motor .if so put a very stiff spring in it to slow down the opening of the secondary .also consider better shocks and springs to help transfer weight for better traction .
the carb is the new Holley HP 4160 750 cfm -vacuum secondary.the " right" carb is a 830cfm on high SP high riser and for us old folks with one foot in the grave a 600cfm might be the ticket. i know nothing about tires and what fits under stock 71 body but i am going to learn in a hurry.the shop has a beautiful "white room" for final assembly there is a photo of a c-5 that turned 6.93 1/4 mile."he can teach you"-------no thanks i would have a heart attack.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:41 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

No such thing as too much power... That's an oxymoron. Sacreligious to even say it...

The whole point of building hotrods is to have a lot of power you can cruise with..

I'm about to drive my 10 second car cross country with no OD for crisssakes..

Build em, race em, DRIVE EM!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:01 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

7t9182 i would never ever say anything about richie Zulll on this forum every body would label me BS. however i was there and saw it with my own eyes at NHRA nationals.the pro stock boys hated him and threaten our life`s if we were not out of town by sundown. exactly like taking your wife`s car in the garage work on it go to Daytona take a lap and qualify for 50th pole position then win by a car length.no sponsor ,plane white camaro with his name on back of car look like he drove in from parking lot ,starting in last place round robin so he had five times the runs on that engine as any of the leaders turning over 1000 rpm more then any other car beats Chevolet sponsored Warren Johnson on final run.----ridiculous how is that possible 498" big block one four barrel.final Dyno run at 4am before installing in car and nobody saw nothing 1834hp at way past 9000 rpm.!!!I am not even going into the APBA boat racing and not many people would comprehend a race boat that never lost or even place second finally the "the boys" burn the boat while on the trailer in the pits. no more discussion he is gifted and thinks way out of the box.
He Pissed off Bill Jenkins when he went out and whipped his butt with the car he leased from him.Richie Zul is one of the very best,and his record stands on its own. p.m. sent

Get notified of new replies

To too much HP.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
He Pissed off Bill Jenkins when he went out and whipped his butt with the car he leased from him.Richie Zul is one of the very best,and his record stands on its own. p.m. sent
GOD`S honest truth some dud from LA. walks up to us in pits after some friendly talk and a beer he told richie " there going to shut you off at line"NHRA Requires a exposed shut off switch at rear of car if a official see`s a fuel leak he shuts you down at starting line you are disqualified.we bypassed switch before going to staging area .sure as sh-t that switch was turn off when the car came into pits! "he never paid his dues".
Old 03-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Captain bob
Racer

holley 505 i like those 275/r60/15 MT. do they fit under wheel well without back spacers? would you happen to know the diameter?trying to match 27" diameter of front tires.---thank you bob
Old 03-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I do not see that you have a problem....
Imagine BB torque.... even worse...

Quick Reply: too much HP.