C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting to Fuel injection.....best setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 06:12 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converting to Fuel injection.....best setup

This topic came up around the water cooler at work. One of the guys at work has a '70 vette with a 383 that he wants to convert to Fuel Injection. What route should he go? Standard TPI (mid-80's style), Lingenfelter SuperRam Plenum TPI, Edelbrock Performer RPM Pro-FloŽ EFI System or Performer RPM Air Gap w/ Holley TBI 4-Barrel? The other notation that came up is adding a supercharger. Either a Paxton to the TPI or Lingenfelter SuperRam Plenum TPI or adding a Vortech "Carb" supercharger to the Edelbrock unit or Holley 4-Barrel TBI.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:12 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Converting to Fuel injection.....best setup (69stingray)

I was at the Edelbrock plant in L.A. a couple of weeks ago and my opinion of their products skyrocketed. Very professional, very competant.
The thing I particurlarly liked about their F.I. is the programmability.
LPE Superram is an excellent product but expensive and prone to vacuum and air leaks. For the typical street attack vehicle, I would opt for Edelbrock.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:32 PM
compuvette
Racer

I voted for the Holley just because that is what I have got for the 69. For cost the TPI is probably the least expensive but also will need some work to support a 383 with that much power. The Holley will probably be the easiest. Plus, you can pick your manifold and if you want to go with a blower, just go with a carb one (doing that myself as well). Also, nitrous is a no-brainer. Just buy a plate system. Edelbrock does have a plate for their injection system now, but you only have one choice. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:28 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Kind of partial to the Holley 950 MPFI, as that's what I'm running on my 454. It is much more programable compared to the Edelbrock and price is about the same. Edelbrock will run open loop below 1800 rpm, which I don't like. Holley 950 is completely programable in that regard.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:45 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I guess it depends on what he want out of the car, and how much money/vs time-talent he has....
all the options above are certainly valid and should suffice for anyone not toooo pickey as to the ultimate....
I did my conversion 6-7 years ago when TPI and the early TBI systems were about the only options...so I went TPI and did my own thing...

GENE
Old 08-11-2002, 01:20 PM
robzr
Burning Brakes

I don't have EFI but I've done a bit of research on it. I can't imagine going with the Edelbrock setup when you can get the Holley 950 setup for about the same price. The Holley 950 seems to be a great system. On of their engineers, Doug Flynn, heads the EFI forum at Chevytalk.com and is very helpful. The only Edelbrock systems I know about use EEPROMs or dials, not a PC interface. If they have something newer out then I am ignorant of it.

The Holley setup seems like a great deal, about $2100 with a pump, intake, injectors, ECU, everthing ya need. It has a wide band upgrade option, can control nitrous, has a mock use-narrow-band-as-wide-band setting, and it can control your timing curve. It's not as powerful as DFI or FAST, but it is a lot cheaper. It seems like a good deal. After I did a bit of research I decided the way to go is a wide band FAST setup with a single plane intake converted to EFI - about $3200-3500 total but this would offer the the most power, tunability and flexibility, especially after going to forced induction. If you don't go wide band you can cut a big chunk ($800?) off that price tag, and you can always upgrade later.

Anyways, like I said, I don't have EFI but I've done a bit of research. The Commander 950 setup sounds good, unless you want to spend a little extra and get into FAST or DFI. Monty has had both, he'd be an excellent guy to email and ask his opinion. Also, hang out on the EFI forum at Chevytalk, you can learn a lot there.

Rob
Old 08-11-2002, 05:13 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

I chose the ProFlo EFI unit because of its capability to be programmed without a laptop computer. Edelbrock provides an interface to a supplied hand held controller for changes to the base EPROM setup. I found some information on the web from a guy who has done extensive research and modifications with a ProFlo system http://www.sonic.net/~mikebr/efi/main.html. He has complete information on the protocol for the included RS-232 interface that the hand held control unit uses. A program can be developed from this information to graphically display and alter setup values as well as provide real time analysis capabilities.

[Modified by VetteNut72, 3:07 PM 8/11/2002]
Old 08-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Converting to Fuel injection.....best setup (VetteNut72)

Those 8 stack injection setups are just the best....
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/new.htm
Old 08-11-2002, 06:04 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I didn't want to shoot my mouth off about costs, but so it seems from others on this thread, that the TPI is still by far the cheapest way to go....I understand a harness can be had for 250 bux...the mechanicals are about 250 and the computer is ten bux at a junkyard....so that leaves the calpak prom plug in....GM stock '91 fbird is about 60 bux...and aftermarket still charges about 230 for a calpak ready to go....
so depending...it seems way less than a grand ;about 750 bux really, should do it....
if you want higher rpm capability, apparently siameseing the intake base manifold at the runners end of the passages for about 3-4 inches down the tubes....extends the rpm range up the scale about 1000 rpm's or so...like the LT1....so with a little effort, a few nites reading, and saving about 2 grand sounds like the way to fly....

GENE
Old 08-11-2002, 08:31 PM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Converting to Fuel injection.....best setup (mrvette)

Saving 2k sounds good :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Converting to Fuel injection.....best setup

Quick Reply: Converting to Fuel injection.....best setup