C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer with speed warning upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Vogast
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Speedometer with speed warning upgrade

Hi, my speedometer seems to be beyond repair and needs to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone of you has done the switch from the ordinary speedo to the one with a speed warning and what would it cost. This is what I have found so far:
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...oducts_id=4538 Wiring

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEED-MINDER...-/311102288370 buzzer
http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...s/6492697.html speedo

What else do I need and is it worth the switch if my main reason is to add value when selling the car? Thanks

Last edited by Vogast; 03-10-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi V,
Although the Speed Warning was a unique option (only about 10% of cars had it during the 68 model year) I don't think it would add a noticeable amount of $$ value to a car.
I REALLY don't think it would add the cost of doing the switch.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Vogast
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi V,
Although the Speed Warning was a unique option (only about 10% of cars had it during the 68 model year) I don't think it would add a noticeable amount of $$ value to a car.
I REALLY don't think it would add the cost of doing the switch.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan, appreciate your comment! What do you estimate the costs of the switch are?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:51 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 129 Posts

Total up the cost of the speedo, wiring and buzzer. No labor if you are doing the work. I was not aware that the speedo head was reproduced, but I guess it is.
I think it is a cool option, but for me with a working speedo not worth the cost, but if your speed is broke and you could install a speedo with speed warning for mabye a couple hundred extra, I would do it.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:03 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

If you are just trying to amass all the options available, have at it. If you are actually concerned about driving above the speed limit and intend to use that warning device, I would suggest to you that installing an aftermarket cruise control (which would hold intended speed) would be a better use of your money. (I wouldn't want to go on a 200 mile round-trip without it!)

Rostra sells fully electronic units that work well. GM didn't install cruise units into Corvettes until '77 or '78. But, you could buy all the GM parts required and add it to your car also. (Rostra would be a LOT easier to install.)

I had one of those warning systems on a '68 I had many years ago. I never used it.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi V,
I really don't know what it would cost, or even if it can be added to your existing speedometer.
If you need to buy a new speedometer to do it it looks like about $350 minimum.
What makes you think your speedometer is beyond repair?
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Vogast
Instructor

Thanks guys for all the inputs!
When I bought the car, the speedo was not working. The gear in the transmittion was broken so we changed that and went up to the speedo. So everything up to the speedo is replaced. When the speedo was out of the car, it was working, but once installed, with the first ride it jumped up several times and died. If it is possible to repair it without sending the unit back to US (I'm based in Europe) I would be thrilled. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy this for $80, plug into your ligther and your done and it has setable speed warning:

Amazon.com: Universal GPS HUD Head Up Speed Display KMH / MPH. Speedometer with OverSpeed Warning, Plug & Play, for Car, Truck, Vehicles....: Automotive Amazon.com: Universal GPS HUD Head Up Speed Display KMH / MPH. Speedometer with OverSpeed Warning, Plug & Play, for Car, Truck, Vehicles....: Automotive

Steve L
73 coupe since new
Old 03-12-2015, 08:02 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I would not be surprised if the cable was not fully engaged and locked into the speedo housing when you reinstalled it. Check to see if the [squeeze] clip is still holding the cable housing as it should.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:13 AM
Vogast
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I would not be surprised if the cable was not fully engaged and locked into the speedo housing when you reinstalled it. Check to see if the [squeeze] clip is still holding the cable housing as it should.
Spring is coming in hot, so when I take her out, I'll have one last look before I order a new speedo.

Last edited by Vogast; 03-13-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:12 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You'll also need the dial reset cable that mounted on the other side of the odometer reset cable. If you got to your assembly manual to I think U15 option, you'll see this cable. There is a special white receiving cup on the back side of the speedometer where this cable is attached.

You'll also need the housing, I don't think a non speed warning speedo has the relief in it for the re-set cup.... I can verify that in a couple of hours. At my office (I'm not there yet), I have some great pictures of this, I'll see if I can dig some up for you.

The speedo is discontinued... it's on my site but for reference only so if you do decide to do this I would purchase the speedo first just to make sure your vendor of choice still has one. Also make sure if the car is a 68 that the head is not a threaded head... some of the reproduction speedometers for 68-69 have the wrong head on them.

Willcox
Old 03-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Vogast
Instructor

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

You'll also need the housing, I don't think a non speed warning speedo has the relief in it for the re-set cup.... I can verify that in a couple of hours. At my office (I'm not there yet), I have some great pictures of this, I'll see if I can dig some up for you.
Willcox
Thanks a lot Willcox, appreciate it!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:52 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

I looked at my pictures, but the one I'm after I didn't find.. I'll keep looking tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:22 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at my pictures, but the one I'm after I didn't find.. I'll keep looking tomorrow.
Hope this saves you searching tomorrow Ernie.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:08 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

I have it in both my 69 cars, but non of them is working. But I would love to fix them, in the future.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:13 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DZRick
Hope this saves you searching tomorrow Ernie.

Thank you Rick.. I wish I would have -refreshed sooner, I've been up scrolling through thousands of pictures this morning.... My OCD was engaged..

Now looking at the picture Rick posted, in the upper right hand corner you'll see the speed warning limit setting cable.... The cup (housing) that holds the stock gauge will not have this provision in it... Can it be made in a stock housing... I like to believe I can do or make anything in my shop, but at some point cost has to enter the picture.

If you look at the picture below you'll see what I'm talking about.

1) The grounding post.. you won't have this on your original gauge housing and you'd have to work a way around this.

2) The Limit cable... not going to be there, and it would be really difficult to replicate.

3) The grounding clip... This would be a easy fix.

My advice to you would be to look for a used complete speedometer and then work from there because you'll need this "Can" to pull off the swap.

IMHO,

Willcox

Rick..

May I use this picture in the tech picture section of our site for others? It sure would save me some OCD time..

Ernie
Old 03-14-2015, 04:31 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Rick.. I wish I would have -refreshed sooner, I've been up scrolling through thousands of pictures this morning.... My OCD was engaged..

Now looking at the picture Rick posted, in the upper right hand corner you'll see the speed warning limit setting cable.... The cup (housing) that holds the stock gauge will not have this provision in it... Can it be made in a stock housing... I like to believe I can do or make anything in my shop, but at some point cost has to enter the picture.

If you look at the picture below you'll see what I'm talking about.

1) The grounding post.. you won't have this on your original gauge housing and you'd have to work a way around this.

2) The Limit cable... not going to be there, and it would be really difficult to replicate.

3) The grounding clip... This would be a easy fix.

My advice to you would be to look for a used complete speedometer and then work from there because you'll need this "Can" to pull off the swap.

IMHO,

Willcox

Rick..

May I use this picture in the tech picture section of our site for others? It sure would save me some OCD time..

Ernie

Of course you may.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Vogast
Instructor

Thanks guys for this terrific explanation! Appreciated!

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer with speed warning upgrade

Quick Reply: Speedometer with speed warning upgrade