C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson steering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

There was a recent thread about a forum member having service issues with Mudflaps.com. He got the wrong hoses in the Borgeson kit. They went round and round with him about the return and replacement parts.

May I suggest getting a price match from Summit Racing or Jegs. They have superior customer service and will stand behind what they sell.

I'm planning on doing this next week when I order the Borgeson kit.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:39 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love it!!!!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Street Rat
There was a recent thread about a forum member having service issues with Mudflaps.com. He got the wrong hoses in the Borgeson kit. They went round and round with him about the return and replacement parts.

May I suggest getting a price match from Summit Racing or Jegs. They have superior customer service and will stand behind what they sell.

I'm planning on doing this next week when I order the Borgeson kit.

Well I just ordered it from Summit Racing. They beat the Mudflaps.com price and I got no shipping or handling charges. Should be here in a couple of days...
Old 03-23-2015, 06:39 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,232 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I just did mine two weeks ago. If you need any questions answered, pm me your phone number and I'll give you a call.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:43 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,232 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Name:  0323151747.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  734.9 KB

Name:  0323151748.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  652.8 KB
Old 03-23-2015, 06:55 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I just did mine two weeks ago. If you need any questions answered, pm me your phone number and I'll give you a call.
Thanks! I appreciate that 65GGvert.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:37 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Any problems with adding this box with the HydroBoost brake kit ?
Old 06-27-2015, 12:52 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

In case such info might assist the OP's deliberations, the Borgeson box itself is 12.7:1 vs. 16.1:1 for the stock one. Applicable ratios with the tie-rods in the "quick" vs. "slow" positions work out to ~13.9:1 and ~15.9:1, respectively, for the Borgeson compared to 17.6:1 and 20.2:1 for the stock box. ...assuming my maths are correct. So, the Borgeson appears to be slightly quicker even in "slow" than a stock box in "quick". And FWIW, the Borgeson is the way I'd almost certainly go should I ever opt to reinstall a power steering system on my shark (yep, manual steering by choice here). Hope that helps.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 06-27-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:49 AM
lakebumm
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 63 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Any problems with adding this box with the HydroBoost brake kit ?

They work together like a champ on my '66.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:37 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have had a gary ramadei custom blueprinted rebuilt oem box for about 5 years now and have to say that the oem box set up correctly with some minor custom work has ZERO play in the steering... I mean ZERO. My oem box had 65,000 miles on it when rebuilt by Gary and I am still using the oem PS control valve and PS cylinder...no leaks yet...For those that do not want to maintain originality the borgeson box is a good option although I suspect much of the benefit most talk about comes from the quicker steering ratio over the oem box's 16:1 ratio than any great leap over a properly setup oem box by gtr1999. My box is laser direct and for a c3 I prefer the oem ratio since as many have noted, a quicker ratio on the street will make a c3 darty in handling behavior. Just another option based on my experience with a properly setup oem box...
Old 06-27-2015, 02:36 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
I have had a gary ramadei custom blueprinted rebuilt oem box for about 5 years now and have to say that the oem box set up correctly with some minor custom work has ZERO play in the steering... I mean ZERO. My oem box had 65,000 miles on it when rebuilt by Gary and I am still using the oem PS control valve and PS cylinder...no leaks yet...For those that do not want to maintain originality the borgeson box is a good option although I suspect much of the benefit most talk about comes from the quicker steering ratio over the oem box's 16:1 ratio than any great leap over a properly setup oem box by gtr1999. My box is laser direct and for a c3 I prefer the oem ratio since as many have noted, a quicker ratio on the street will make a c3 darty in handling behavior. Just another option based on my experience with a properly setup oem box...

I fully agree with much of the above, particularly as to the box itself not being a weak link when properly set up. However, IMOE the stock slave-cylinder system isn't necessarily the safest of designs. It may be a rare fault, but after having it violently yank the wheel out of my hands and nearly put me into a pole across opposing traffic I got rid of mine entirely. I'm very lucky there happened to be a gap at that moment, that I was behaving at the time, and to have stabbed the brakes quickly enough (praise God). Had to cut the belt to get it home, whereupon I tossed the lot in the bin. Just sharing, YMMV...
Old 06-27-2015, 02:39 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I just installed a Burgeson power steering conversion in my '71 that had manual steering. The improvement is amazing. I remember driving my parents' '77 in 1982, when it probably had about 10,000 miles on it, and its steering was excellent. I think so people are comparing new Borgeson units to worn factory steering boxes and just assuming the GM steering had no on-center feel when new. I like the quick ratio of the Borgeson, but my wife's Boxster S has a 1:16.9 steering ratio, which is actually a little slower than a stock C3. I agree that rebuilding the factory box is definitely a viable option.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:02 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

Default I disagree

the borgeson box in now way shape or form is darty in handling.what it is, a bad freakin *** set up, and my old system was in great working order.everytime theres a borgeson discussion on here you keep saying how nice your rebuilt stock stuff is, and im sure its really good especially for the guys wanting the stock look .but im telling you guys that borgeson box is way better than stock .no comparison.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

My stock box was tight (rebuilt by tracdogg2), but the Borgeson was still a major improvement. Better on-center feel. The steering wheel now feels much more connected to the wheels. There was a delay in the stock power assist. A quick left following by a right and the assist fell behind. The Borgeson keeps up.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:56 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by 509 rat
the borgeson box in now way shape or form is darty in handling.what it is, a bad freakin *** set up, and my old system was in great working order.everytime theres a borgeson discussion on here you keep saying how nice your rebuilt stock stuff is, and im sure its really good especially for the guys wanting the stock look .but im telling you guys that borgeson box is way better than stock .no comparison.
The reason I keep saying what I say is that the oem steering can be very good when setup properly (blueprinted rebuild with custom olite bushing). My point is my oem box with a custom rebuild with 65,000 mile and using the other oem steering worn components is impressive. Would it be even better with new PS cylinder and control valve? Maybe. Is the borgeson box probably even better? Yes eliminating more components that effect steering feel? Sure. Just another option.

My comments are based on good comparators: 2010 C6Z06 and 2012 Lexus IS350 F Sport (both bought new)..incredibly direct steering. 1994 Mustang GT steering replaced by me with 94 cobra steering R&P rack...better but still not great.

Would I use a borgeson box if I was going to ditch the oem steering? Yes.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 06-28-2015 at 02:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Borgeson steering?