C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flaming River Steering Column_Universal Joint

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Flaming River Steering Column_Universal Joint

I'm reso/modding my 72 BB and intend to put the Borgeson PS box on it. Looking for feedback from those who have converted to the FM steering column.

Reason: During the resto process I discovered, upon realizing the Borgeson supplied rag joint would not just slide on the stock column, that the splines in front of the flat spot on my stock column are damaged. Not surprising since I had to use unusual force to get the old rag off the damn thing. I think someone pounded on it previously because that old RJ was a mess.

I'm curious to know if I can simply grind the stock column splines in that area to see I can get it to work? If that cannot be done then I'm thinking about buying the FR column (curious what folks think of the FR column). If I do that does the FR universal joint add anything beyond the brand new rag joint I have? I know that the RJ provides some vibration absorption qualities and the universal appears to be fairly rigid.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:40 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I don't know anything about the flaming river column, but it seems like you can try dressing up the splines on your original column. If you have to file off the first 1/8" to get rid of the messed up part there should still be plenty left. A wire brush on a drill works to get the rust off. Can you show a pic of the damage?
Old 02-03-2015, 06:38 AM
ssenay72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a fr column in my 75. I like it, mounting kit is nice. The drop mount needs washers for the bolts (big fender washers). Other than that it fit perfect. As far as the u-joints they make, I was running one on my stock column, also have one in my 69 Camaro and 81 Camaro. I didn't notice any vibration difference to be honest but that's just me I guess. Personally like them better after having a rag joint come half apart on my 69.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Originally Posted by '75
I don't know anything about the flaming river column, but it seems like you can try dressing up the splines on your original column. If you have to file off the first 1/8" to get rid of the messed up part there should still be plenty left. A wire brush on a drill works to get the rust off. Can you show a pic of the damage?
Yes, I've already wire wheeled it clean. The file approach is something I thought of to smooth out the end of the shaft a bit so I'll give that a try before making a buy decision. Part of me wants that spline to be ruined but the other part me cringes at the price of the FR. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:18 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Originally Posted by ssenay72
I just put a fr column in my 75. I like it, mounting kit is nice. The drop mount needs washers for the bolts (big fender washers). Other than that it fit perfect. As far as the u-joints they make, I was running one on my stock column, also have one in my 69 Camaro and 81 Camaro. I didn't notice any vibration difference to be honest but that's just me I guess. Personally like them better after having a rag joint come half apart on my 69.
Good to know...did you have to do anything special with the wiring connections or was that a simple matter cut, match, crimp and connect? I noticed their install kit contains some modifiable connection pieces.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:49 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Borg makes a Stainless steel U-joint to take the place of the rag joint. Gene

Get notified of new replies

To Flaming River Steering Column_Universal Joint

Quick Reply: Flaming River Steering Column_Universal Joint