C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch defeats it's purpose

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 07:29 AM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch defeats it's purpose

Just found out something intersting on my vette. Normally, when turning the engine off, to get the key out you have to press that little lever down and twist the switch to the off position. Then you can pull the key out, and the switch is locked.

Well, my vette is different. I can turn the switch as far as it will go without pressing the lever. The engine shuts off, as it should. But, the keys can be pulled out. With the keys out, the switch will start the engine if you twist it.:eek: I guess I'll be replacing that switch real soon!

How much trouble is it to change this switch?

Note: For those in the upstate SC area, please don't steal my vette! :D
Old 08-08-2002, 07:33 AM
oger
Instructor

Default Re: Ignition switch defeats it's purpose (shotgun_000)

My 79 did that for about a year then the switch locked and the only way I could turn it off was to disconnect the batt. If you have a std column it's not to bad otherwise I would find a set of instructions.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:49 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Ignition switch defeats it's purpose (shotgun_000)

First of all, just a little definition. The lock cylinder is the mechanical part that sticks out of the steering column and you insert your key into it. The ignition switch is the electrical part that is mounted down under the dash, on top of the steering column.

When you twist your ignition key in the lock cylinder, your are rotating a gear that moves a small rack inside the column. That rack does two things, it is attached to a rod that pushes and pulls the ignition switch and it also moves a bolt that locks your steering shaft and prevents you from being able to turn your steering wheel.

From your description, it would seem that you have two distinct problems. First, if you can rotate your ignition lock cylinder without the key being inserted, you have a bad lock cylinder and it should be replaced.

Second, the finger key release is a purely mechnical lever that works by preventing the small rack inside the column from moving all the way to "off-lock". When you trigger the finger lever, this opens a gate and allows the rack to move through its entire range. You can always rotate the lock cylinder to "off" (and therefore turn off your engine). But you cannot rotate your key all the way to "off-lock" (where the column is locked and you can remove your ignition key) unless you finger the lever.

From your description, if you just replace the lock cylinder, your car should now be secure. Replacing the lock cylinder is not that difficult. There are two papers posted at http://www.corvettefaq.com under Steering. One if for the T&T steering column, the other is for the standard (non-adjustable) steering column.

One set of papers is entitled Tilt & Telescoping Disassembly Instructions; three pages of line drawings; and a steering column blowup.

The other set of papers is entitled Standard Column Disassembly Instructions; two pages of line drawings; and a steering column blowup.

Lock cylinders can be purchased from any GM dealer or from many automotive parts stores. Since your car is a 1979 there is one thing that you need to know before purchasing your replacement lock cylinder. 1979 was the introduction of a new lock cylinder retention design.

All lock cylinders before 1979 were held inside the steering column by means of a small, spring loaded, metal wedge that was part of the lock cylinder. You need to disassemble your steering column; place the lock cylinder in the "run" position; and press on the metal wedge in order to release the cylinder from the column. Some columns in early 1979 were built with the old lock cylinders.

The new lock cylinders were held in place by a screw that was part of the steering column head and that screw passed through a notch on the lock cylinder. The lock cylinders are the same between the T&T column and the standard column. But you do have to be aware that you could have the old design or the new design in your 1979 column.

To get at the finger lever, you need to disassemble your steering column quite a bit further than just the lock cylinder procedure. I think that I would leave it alone since it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:58 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Ignition switch defeats it's purpose (Jim Shea)

First, please listen to Jim Shea. His papers at corvettefaq.com are incredible. I just replaced my turn signal switch on my t/t steering last weekend. You will need a steering wheel puller and a lockplate puller which you can rent for free from your local Autozone. I got all the way to the turn signal switch without any real issues. The most difficult part for me was the reassembly of the lockplate. Instead of using the starscrew you will need to use a set screw which Jim describes in his paper. If I had read that part, I would have saved myself about 2 hours of work. Did not go all the way to the ignition parts but I could see them easily. Have fun!

Jim
Old 08-08-2002, 01:16 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

One quick question: Is it possible that your key release (finger inhibitor) lever is just hanging down? There should be a spring inside your column that preloads the lever in the "up" position.

If you can use your finger to bring the lever "up" and the key release seems to be blocking your ability to turn the lock cylinder all the way to the "off-lock" position, that is probably the root cause of that part of your problem.

You will still need to virtually tear down the entire head of your steering column in order to get at the lever and spring. (Again, the lock cylinder is easy, you have a lot more to disassemble if you are going after the inhibitor lever.) BTW, on page 3 of my T&T line drawing pictures or page 2 of my standard column line drawings; the lower right hand corner, both show the spring and the key release lever.

If you really want to tackle the release lever and spring, I can supply some additional detail on this part of the problem.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:39 PM
oger
Instructor

Jim my 79 acted just like shotguns you didn't need to press the lever to get the key out. A change of the lock cured the problem. You must now push the lever to get the key out.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition switch defeats it's purpose

Quick Reply: Ignition switch defeats it's purpose