C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ID help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ID help

So, I already know my car is a mash-up of crap. That's why I don't mind tearing it apart and building what I want. (LS/T56, rack and pinion, VBP suspension).
VIN shows it's a 68. Titled as a 68. Most of the parts on it are not 68. No worries. However when I started poking around I noticed this Tag under the hood above the steering column. It has the same serial numbers as my VIN, but claims year '77. Anyone have any ideas on this??
It's a chrome bumper car, so all of the parts on it are 68-72ish.
As far as I know.

Under hood ID tag

VIN plate

My original (ancient) thread with most of the info I know about the car, which I'll hopefully be updating today with some recent work done to it, if interested.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-s-vette.html
Old 01-25-2015, 12:11 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Might mean that engine is from '77. What the casting numbers, dates and pad info.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

If you check out my build post I have most of the info there I think.
None of the engine/trans is original to the car.
I looked up the castings a long time ago, and the block is a 71 passenger 454 block.
Heads are truck peanut port with matching intake manifold.
Trans is a Muncie. Late 60's/Early 70's by the numbers I can see from underneath.
Will find more details on it once I have the engine/trans out of the car.

I'm mostly just curious why the VIN and that plate match, but the years are so far off.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:30 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

At some point someone installed a 77 350 and put the engine ID and vin on that tag. Obviously changed since then to the present engine.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by '75
At some point someone installed a 77 350 and put the engine ID and vin on that tag. Obviously changed since then to the present engine.
Thank you. That makes perfect sense. The under hood tag is not an original thing? Was there a tag in this location from the factory?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Your under hood tag is not original to any Corvette. It's from the Bureau of Automotive Repair, whom ever that is?

Your car would have had an engine/emission sticker that looked like this, but specific to your cars original engine.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-sticker.html

It was located on the flat spot behind the power brake booster/master cylinder.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

The flat area behind the MC is where this sticker is.
I'm really not concerned with originality, just wanted some feedback on what that sticker might be.
Everyone's insight has been great. Thanks for all the input.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:23 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, thats a sticker used by the BAR for engine swaps. Tells the smog check technician what the engine is and what emissions equipment are needed on it. Not sure what state its from but if it a California one its pretty old. I once put a Oldsmobile BB in a 67 Chevy pickup and had to take it to a referee to have it certified, put a similar sticker on the door jamb for future smog checks.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:59 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by dugsgms74
Yeah, thats a sticker used by the BAR for engine swaps. Tells the smog check technician what the engine is and what emissions equipment are needed on it. Not sure what state its from but if it a California one its pretty old. I once put a Oldsmobile BB in a 67 Chevy pickup and had to take it to a referee to have it certified, put a similar sticker on the door jamb for future smog checks.
As far as I know it's been a California car all its life. Until I brought it to Arizona of course.
I'm sure it has a long rough history. I don't have any records or anything. All I know is the guy I bought it from had it stashed in the corner of his massive garage, full of corvettes and thunderbirds, for quite a few years.

Get notified of new replies

To ID help

Quick Reply: ID help