C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teering wheel came off...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 PM
finallygotit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering wheel came off...please help!

1980 restomod that I finally have on the road. Noticed the wheel wiggled (a lot). Not the column (like if the lower bolts were loose) but just the wheel. Inspected and I noticed that the C clip was barely on and when it came off, so did the steering wheel.

So I understand the key (missing in the pic but sitting on my lap) and the rod (also on lap) go into the notch, and you press the lock plate down enough to get the clip on. My issue is to do that I am using this tool:

but it appears that this tool uses the shaft (that should not come out) to force the locking plate down enough to put the C clip on....BUT....the shaft is not locked into place unless the C clip is holding it from coming out.

So how do you do this???? I looked at Jim's illustrations and about a dozen videos, but everything seems to have an upper shaft that is locked in place and mine most certainly is not.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for help...I know I am probably just being stupid and missing something simple...but you know how it goes.

Last edited by finallygotit; 01-22-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default T&T Telescope Lock

Go to a hardware store and purchase a 5/16-18 UNC set screw (or a #20 Allen screw. Reassemble the upper steering shaft to the steering column. Make sure that you install the 4 inch x 0.22 inch dia rod into the upper shaft. Assemble the screw into the upper steering shaft until the upper shaft is locked in place. Now you can use that special "bridge" tool to compress the locking plate and install the c-clip.

I note that there are several column parts on the floor of your Vette. I hope that you have a plastic c-clip retainer. Most of the original retainers break into many pieces as you disassemble the steering column. You will want a replacement available. That retainer is a critical safety part. It keeps the c-clip from migrating out of position and prevents the upper steering shaft and steering wheel from ending up in your lap.

The retainer is no longer available thru GM dealers. But should be available at most Corvette suppliers.
(For instance, Zip Products #SC-517).

One other thing, without the plastic retainer, the big telescope spring will ground on metal steering column parts and your horn will blow continuously.

Good luck,
Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 01-22-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:36 PM
finallygotit
Instructor

Jim - thank you for responding!

Just ordered the retainer as I think it was in pieces and its not in the pile.

Is that set screw intended to go in farther than the existing telescope lock screw? I ask because even screwing that one all the way in so that the rod forces the key outward, the upper shaft simply slides back out. Will get the new screw tomorrow and give it another shot.

Cheers

Pat
Old 01-23-2015, 12:05 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by finallygotit
Jim - thank you for responding!

Just ordered the retainer as I think it was in pieces and its not in the pile.

Is that set screw intended to go in farther than the existing telescope lock screw? I ask because even screwing that one all the way in so that the rod forces the key outward, the upper shaft simply slides back out. Will get the new screw tomorrow and give it another shot.

Cheers

Pat
A longer screw will lock the tilt so you can compress the spring and remove the clip.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patro46
A longer screw will lock the tilt so you can compress the spring and remove the clip.
Don't forget the roughly 4 inch long X 0.22 rod that should be in the upper steering shaft for the "star" screw or the set screw needs to react against. Also the locking wedge. From your picture I cannot tell if the locking wedge is in place or not.

Jim
Old 01-23-2015, 12:59 PM
finallygotit
Instructor

Success! Thank you both for your help. It's all set...just waiting for the safety clip to arrive. Please check my work!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks good to me.
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Teering wheel came off...please help!

Quick Reply: Teering wheel came off...please help!