C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust and cam experts, what is your opinion of these "myths"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 02:14 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Default Exhaust and cam experts, what is your opinion of these "myths"?

http://www.x-pipe.com/Scavenge.html

Interesting read at least.
Oops double posted. Don't know how to delete the first one.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 01-04-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

That's some pretty funny stuff there. I'm not an expert but many times over the years I've seen and felt the proof of how headers increase performance. Just a few days ago another forum member with an internally stock smallblock in his '72 Vette said that headers were easily the single best performance mod he had made.

I missed the part where the author of the article listed his credentials and the research he's done to back up his statements. Credibility counts and I'm not seeing it here. I did have a couple of laughs as I read it though.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:02 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Someone should tell the engine builders in Nascar.The millions of dollars they spend in a year on cam, header and exhaust R&D is just a colossal waste of time and resources,they could have just hired this guy...
Old 01-04-2015, 09:29 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Funny how you can read this guy's opinions and on another site I can find information claiming the exact opposite.
I read that keeping the exhaust stream speed up with small primaries helps with evacuation due to the pull it exerts from that speed/energy of the exhaust stream. However at some point the primaries are going to become a restriction to flow if they cannot handle the volume of gasses needing to escape.
I can also read that pumping losses from small primaries exceed the benifits due to the restriction that small primaries present. But again at some point the primaries become too big unless dumped straight to the atmosphere and not pumped down an exhaust system.
Both sound legit.
Both it seems may be true just at different RPMs or flow capacities of the heads and cam.
Over generalization just confuses the situation and most reads over generalize rather than providing specific guidance to the real answer.
No wonder we're all lost on this subject and many others.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:44 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Sounds like a friggin idiot. Any dyno run will tell you what your mods are worth. I've read results of hundreds of tests in the former Petersons publications and they all refute his claims.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Some cars can/cant benefit from it
Personally other than sound Ive never felt a difference with no crossover, an H or an X tried them all on the same car. Hairsplitting imo.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:28 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Some cars can/cant benefit from it
Personally other than sound Ive never felt a difference with no crossover, an H or an X tried them all on the same car. Hairsplitting imo.
I agree with Queezy.....only thing I noted on my '72 for all the headers, H pipe, was finding a ~50 buck set of Magnaflow stainless muffs, and so ditched the quiet stock stuff for the Maggies.....huge beautiful elegant sound increase without getting stupid.......

Old 01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
MrForce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I did away with all my other mods once I got a magnet to align all the molecules in my gasoline...
Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 PM
labhound
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All you need is a 12v super charger from e bay…………...
Old 01-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Zorro O
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Be sure to clean your fan blades with PropWash! Makes you car wicked fast.

Zorro
Old 01-06-2015, 04:16 PM
Zorro O
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
I agree with Queezy.....only thing I noted on my '72 for all the headers, H pipe, was finding a ~50 buck set of Magnaflow stainless muffs, and so ditched the quiet stock stuff for the Maggies.....huge beautiful elegant sound increase without getting stupid.......

Best description of Magnaflows ever!

Zorro
Old 01-07-2015, 02:26 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Their website appears to have been designed in the 1940s.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Someone should tell the engine builders in Nascar.The millions of dollars they spend in a year on cam, header and exhaust R&D is just a colossal waste of time and resources,they could have just hired this guy...
Old 01-07-2015, 10:26 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

these fairy tales get started with an idiot who put headers on a car and left the timing and carb alone and didn't optimize it.
true story, i put a set of headers on an SS 396 Chevelle years ago for a guy he insisted that i adjust nothing, his car was perfect. he went to the drag strip and ran about a hundredth slower , came back and said i ripped him off or did something to his car. after arguing with him i jetted his carb and set up his distributor it went a half second quicker than his best previous. did the same on a 440 Charger but that guy was nice about it. idiots are how these myths get started.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:48 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Tune is EVERYTHING and tune changes with EVERY change you make to the car.

I'm a tuning novice. I have been playing around with my new engine for 8 months, getting used to changing this and that...timing and curve, mostly.

I realized that I was masking a poor carb tune by fiddling with the timing (timing curve too advanced/aggressive), so I kept dumping more and more fuel in the car.

Finally realized the error of my ways, I hit the reset button on my dizzy curve and pulled a bunch of jet out of my carb.

GRADUALLY, I have been adding back a little timing and going up and down in jets to find the "happy place".

The result?

BT (Before Tuning): My car was pretty bland up to 3,500, then it pulled strong. What I thought was strong.

AT (After Tuning): I'm still working on a soft spot if I just floor it at 1,500 RPM, but if I roll into it the thing GOES. I mean GOOOOOOES. To the point that when I hit 4,000 RPM in 1st, the rear wheels BREAK TRACTION and I have to feather the throttle. Honestly...I've probably picked up 100 hp in the difference between tunes. Of course the engine is a solid roller 200cc 0.590 lift race engine...

And when I replace the intake from a Winters LT-1 dual-plane to a RPM Air-Gap dual-plane? I get to do it ALL over again. Well...hopefully not everything. Just jet adjustments.

Tuning is fun. But every little thing changes the system.

And the guy that wrote that article sounds like quite the moron. I agree with the statement that if you TUNE a car to an iron exhaust and put on a huge set of headers, you may lose power. But if you TUNE the car to the headers, there is absolutely no way on this green earth that the iron exhaust will OUTPERFORM the headers. The engine is an air pump and an air pump just doesn't work that way.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:46 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace

Of course the engine is a solid roller 200cc 0.590 lift race engine...

And when I replace the intake from a Winters LT-1 dual-plane to a RPM Air-Gap dual-plane? I get to do it ALL over again. Well...hopefully not everything. Just jet adjustments.
Sounds like it wants a single plane intake/gears/and lots of rpm.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust and cam experts, what is your opinion of these "myths"?

Quick Reply: Exhaust and cam experts, what is your opinion of these "myths"?