C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardtop Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 08:19 AM
70 LT-1 Convert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Install

Hi,
I am looking at purchasing a hardtop for my 70 vette and have some installation questions.
Do all hardtops have the center pin located in the middle of the rear window. I looked at one this weekend and it did not have the pin. The seller said it will fit from 70 to 75. Also, there are 2 threaded studs located approx where the rear deck latches are, how do they attach. My last question is about the pins that insert into the convt top latch holes in the deck. Should they be threaded or the same as the convt top pins that lock.
Thanks for the help.
Dean :confused:
Old 08-06-2002, 08:46 AM
TNT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hardtop Install (70 LT-1 Convert)

All 70 convertable vetts have the center hole in the deck lid and the small center stud on the hardtop. Threaded studs attached the hardtop to the deck lid,where the conv top pins go into, there is a special washer-clip that fits under the decklid and a washer and nut are installed and tightened. Also, 2 screws are used at the very forward corners of the decklid, a small flap covers these, a nut is attached to the decklid. Hope this helps a little. Thad
Old 08-06-2002, 09:17 AM
70 LT-1 Convert
Advanced

Default Re: Hardtop Install (TNT)

Thanks TNT,
That info is a big help. What are your thoughts as to if I should purchase this top. It is missing the center pin and I my car was not optioned with the hard top so it is also missing the center pin. I liked the idea that I would not have to make any holes. What year do you think this top is for and do you know if there is a date code on them.
Thanks again for the help.
Dean
Old 08-06-2002, 02:07 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I bought a real nice black vinyl top last spring for 750. It was in excellent shape. It did not have the center pin . This should not matter at all. I have seen tops go for as little as 300 and as much as 1000. Depends on the condition. I found mine locally so shipping was not a concern.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:18 PM
TNT
Burning Brakes

About the only way to tell the date is by the rear window, it should have a 2 letter date ie--JL YM or something like that! Or if the interior was a 1 year only color ie---green metallic in 1970. I really don't have alot of experience with the hard tops because here in south Louisiana we don't have any winter to really speak of.. Thad
Old 08-06-2002, 02:41 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Hardtop Install (TNT)

The only problem you may have is that the weatherstripping may not contact the deck lid in the center. I know that there is a gap in mine until I tighten the center bolt. Also, is the top missing just the bolt or is it also missing the tab that the bolt goes through. The center bolt is a square shouldered stove bolt. I think it is a 1/4". I know the nut takes a 7/16th wrench. Also, since your car wasn't optioned with a HT, does your deck lid have provisions for the "side" bolts? (the ones which go in just rear of the side windows)? If not, you will need to buy these lugs (Zip has them). Those are important. In all, there are 8 attaching points:

2 3/8 studs in the deck lid
1 small center stud in the deck lid
2 5/16th bolts in side of deck lid
3 latches across windshield

Hope this helps.

dl
Old 08-06-2002, 02:59 PM
fireball
Racer

I have a '73 and bought a hardtop for it that only had 2 bolts on the rear. Instead of messing with the nuts, I bought two of the soft top locking pins and just press the hardtop down into the decklid until it latches. My hardtop does have the provisions for the side bolts, but I didn't bother drilling my decklid for them. It does squeek some and there's a little gap in the center rear, but it doesn't bother me.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:01 PM
70 LT-1 Convert
Advanced

Default Re: Hardtop Install (fireball)

I think I can live without the center pin but am I correct in understanding I will need to drill my deck lid for the side latches, the 2 just behind the door windows? Or are there just clips for these 2 attachments. The squeeking could be removing paint, I don't know but I would want to know where and why. This top has 2 threaded studs that insert into the chrome plates in the deck, 2 side bolts just behind the windows, and the 3 latches above the windshield. Thanks for all the advise.
Dean
Old 08-06-2002, 06:01 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

You would need to drill holes for the sides and also buy a 3 piece lug for each side. This lug will cover the hole completely so it will look like it came from the factory that way. Like I said, I have all 8 connecting points and my top doesn't squeek or rattle at all. I would think that if the only one you are doing without is the rear center, you won't have any squeeks either. Although, I'll bet you end up with a small gap between the deck lid and the weatherstripping on the top in the center under the rear window.

But you never know. You may end up not needing that center point.

Good Luck.

dl
Old 08-07-2002, 08:26 AM
70 LT-1 Convert
Advanced

Default Re: Hardtop Install (dladd74roadster)

Do you think that new weatherstripping under the top would make up for and opening? I really do not expect to have the top on that often so I don't think it will be a problem either way. Do you guys use your tops often? I have heard 1 person can install the top but based on the weight I felt I don't think I would risk doing it myself, is it a 2 or 3 man job?
Thanks everyone.
Dean :cheers:
Old 08-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

I only use mine for racing. I can run to 12.00 with a hardtop and only 13.99 with just the ragtop. I use two people to put the top on. It would be tough with one but I guess it could be done. I don't want to drop it on the car.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:13 PM
70 LT-1 Convert
Advanced

Default Re: Hardtop Install (Gordonm)

Hi gordonm,
I saw you race at ATCO a while back. How are you?
How do you account for the difference in time? I would think with the addition of the hardtop, and the added weight, it would slow you down. Is there that much difference in the drag? Am I right that you cant race with the top down.
How knows?
Old 08-07-2002, 03:40 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

It has nothing to do with my times. The track will only allow you to run 13.99 or slower with the ragtop. With the hardtop on it is considered a hardtop car. You are allowed to run 11.99 or slower with a hardtop. Any faster and you need a roll bar. My car runs about the same regardless of which top is on. I guess it would run slightly faster with the rag top due to a little less weight. Atco really has never hassled me about the top. When I ran Etown they said I needed a hard top to run. I have made a lot of passes at Atco and nobody has ever said anything.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:42 PM
Jester69Stingray
Pro

Hi gordonm,
I saw you race at ATCO a while back. How are you?
How do you account for the difference in time? I would think with the addition of the hardtop, and the added weight, it would slow you down. Is there that much difference in the drag? Am I right that you cant race with the top down.
How knows?
I believe he means that is what the track rules will allow him to run with diffrent tops. I dont know of any track that will let you race with the top down.
Old 08-07-2002, 04:51 PM
70 LT-1 Convert
Advanced

Default Re: Hardtop Install (Jester69Stingray)

OH I did not understand. Your talking about track rules not your vettes performance. Sorry. I get it now.

Get notified of new replies

To Hardtop Install

Quick Reply: Hardtop Install