C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expansion tank as an overflow tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Then the simplest and most elegant solution is adding a '73 and up coolant recovery tank and rad cap.

This is not rocket surgery.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:46 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No it is not rocket science - it is simple physics. Coolant liquid, not vapor/air/gas, is better for heat exchange. Yes, a vacuum valve rad cap and a siphon reservoir is a step up. You also could then visually check fluid level. Of course if it is open to the atmosphere you allow for evaporation. With a pressure system you don't have evaporation, and by allowing circulation to the tank you continuously remove any air/vapor from the system - better cooling efficiency.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 74modified
With a pressure system you don't have evaporation, and by allowing circulation to the tank you continuously remove any air/vapor from the system - better cooling efficiency.
Which brings us back to stock '68-'72 Corvettes. That's how they were set up.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:36 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Which brings us back to stock '68-'72 Corvettes. That's how they were set up.
I never said there was anything wrong with that. If you read back through, I said that all three ways will work, but the pressure system was better. So now that you agree with me I am finished with this thread.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

But I don't agree with you.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

But the OP doesn't want either a reservoir or an expansion tank...................
SO...clarify what the post #1 is asking for????

AND in POST #9 he WANTS to run a puke tank. Really Mike..do you read this stuff or what?

What he asked about is EXACTLY what I did....use a factory expansion tank for a coolant reservoir that would catch coolant....and this was the car that I did it on had a radiator cap in the radiator....and an expansion tank also. It was a factory small block car that was converted to a big block.

IT WILL WORK. AND the factory expansion tank with the radiator cap is NOT under any PRESSURE....because the small tube on the side that would normally allow coolant to go into the expansion tank from the small block radiator....it left open and THAT is where coolant would drain out of if the expansion tank would fill up due to major overheating issues. Coolant from the radiator would get to the modified expansion tank by the small hose just under the radiator cap.....and this hose is connected to a fabricated pipe that allows the 1/3" hose to go to the fitting on the underside of the expansion tank. SO...coolant can fill in that way and get drawn back into the radiator via the same tube. This the radiator can purge out air and draw back in fluid.

BECAUSE it seems odd that when I take the radiator cap of the Corvettes with the overflow reservoir....and the system is correct....the fluid is up at the top by the cap....versus having to worry about not over filling it and having it find its 'happy spot' where the coolant wants to be. For me...the more coolant the better...and YES...I am aware on how the system works for those who think I do not know. Just employing improvements....or am I crazy that GM put low coolant sensors in radiators and provide a light to let you know it is below that level.

DUB
Old 01-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
SO...clarify what the post #1 is asking for????
He wants a straight 'puke tank' which is not the same as a '68 to '72 expansion tank set up or a '73-'82 coolant recovery tank system either.

Modifying a expansion tank to work as a puke tank or a coolant recovery tank by blocking off most of the outlets can be done as has been pointed out many times. I just happen to think there's better looking and easier ways of achieving this.

YMMV.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Puke tank or coolant reservoir or recovery tank...is the same thing. They catch what is being 'puked out'.

Whats there to block off.

One hose nipple at the bottom for the heater hoses originally....because the expansion tanks come with ONE or TWO hose connections on the bottom...so you get an expansion tank with ONE. Then the one tube on the side that will be the vent/overflow tube...and the one under the cap...which has nothing on it.,,,because it does not matter and does nothing. SO...NOTHING to block off.

DUB
Old 01-02-2015, 08:20 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Old 01-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Good idea.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

I just love it when people stop posting when they have been proven wrong and are NOT willing to accept it or even realize it that they were corrected...due to the stuff they posted was WRONG.

A common occurrence with SOME PEOPLE....can start something and realize 'they' do not realize that they are ____________ ( you fill in the blank with what ever works best).

DUB
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I just love it when people stop posting when they have been proven wrong and are NOT willing to accept it or even realize it that they were corrected...due to the stuff they posted was WRONG.

A common occurrence with SOME PEOPLE....can start something and realize 'they' do not realize that they are ____________ ( you fill in the blank with what ever works best).

DUB
Hmmm... I have noticed that too. Unable to support their opinions with supporting factual data.
This would be fine as long as it is presented as an opinion, but all too often is is presented as indisputable fact when in reality it is not.
An opinion is based on a conclusion from personal experience(s) and is acceptable as just that, an opinion, not facts. Facts are based on testing or some widely/generally accepted method of comparison or testing.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 01-04-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
Puke tank or coolant reservoir or recovery tank...is the same thing.
If you honestly believe this, then there's no point discussing. See ya.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Hmmm... I have noticed that too. Unable to support their opinions with supporting factual data.
This would be fine as long as it is presented as an opinion, but all too often is is presented as indisputable fact when in reality it is not.
An opinion is based on a conclusion from personal experience(s) and is acceptable as just that, an opinion, not facts. Facts are based on testing or some widely/generally accepted method of comparison or testing.
THANKS...I thought I was the only one who can smell it.

If you honestly believe this, then there's no point discussing. See ya.
YES I DO. Sorry you can not grasp it.

GET SERIOUS....REALLY. ALWAYS trying to FIND something to complain about instead of adding useful information. 'Par for the course.'

People call it a HOOD in United States....in England...they call it a BONNET. SAME THING....that is if a person is willing to ACCEPT the CHANGE. People call it a TRUNK LID in the United Sates...in England it is called a BOOT. Lets see. ECM and PCM....the same thing....WHY???? because they are doing the SAME thing even though they are called differently. CCM and BCM.....the SAME THING also.

Puke tank: a RESERVOIR, container or other vessel that can hold fluid...so when the radiator PUKES out coolant it can be caught. AND this 'PUKE TANK" can be designed to allow the puked coolant to be drawn back into the radiator.

Coolant Reservoir:...and sometimes called a 'Coolant Overflow Reservoir' : ....Uhhhh...the same thing as written above.

Recovery tank...and seeing how we are talking about coolant....COMMON SENSE would dictate that we are referring to a 'Coolant Recovery Tank': Which is the SAME as the above two components......unless ...in some parallel universe that I can not get into it is different.

The CONCEPT of what the Original Poster asked is given...THE PRINCIPLE IS THE SAME. Catch coolant and allow ti to return back to the radiator. I feel that you have nothing else better to do that PICK at stuff instead of EXPLAIN your THOUGHTS on what makes them SOOOOOOO different.

NOW...if you have some useful to add ...by all means feel free. But I feel that it has been CLEARLY outlined WHAT the Original Poster was wanting to achieve.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 01-04-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 PM
68thumper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbo1972
I was wondering if anyone here set up the factory aluminum expansion tank as an overflow tanks? My car is a 69, road race replica. I currently run an alum radiator w/ 15lb cap. The overflow dumps on the ground. I would like to utilize the expansion tank as sn overflow. I do not have a heater core set up in the car.
Thanks for the input
-Jimbo
On my big block I am running the Harrison expansion tank with a 22 lb cap and a 15 cap on the Dewitts radiator (I could be off on the exact pressure of the caps). Heater hoses connected. I check the level on the expansion tank. Seems to work fine once it found its own coolant level. I bought the car about 3 years ago from a forum member and this is how it came.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 68thumper
On my big block I am running the Harrison expansion tank with a 22 lb cap and a 15 cap on the Dewitts radiator (I could be off on the exact pressure of the caps). Heater hoses connected. I check the level on the expansion tank. Seems to work fine once it found its own coolant level. I bought the car about 3 years ago from a forum member and this is how it came.
I just can not resist.....SORRY.

I would LOVE to see a photo(s) of how the hoses connect...because having 2 radiator caps in a system is not correct..as you know....and also the small hose on the side of the expansion tank that 'more than likely' is going to the hose connection below the radiator cap on the DeWitts radiator is not correct. Which is why I would love to see it.

And YES...I know...it working.....but a broke clock tells correct time twice a day also. Just saying.

DUB
Old 01-05-2015, 11:16 PM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I just can not resist.....SORRY.

I would LOVE to see a photo(s) of how the hoses connect...because having 2 radiator caps in a system is not correct..as you know....and also the small hose on the side of the expansion tank that 'more than likely' is going to the hose connection below the radiator cap on the DeWitts radiator is not correct. Which is why I would love to see it.

And YES...I know...it working.....but a broke clock tells correct time twice a day also. Just saying.

DUB
Very Interesting.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Next on the agenda-Religion and Politics!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by jnb5101
Next on the agenda-Religion and Politics!
NOPE...NOT from me......both of those are pointless.....the original topic is much easier. It is a system that is either right or not right....depending on what design era you are basing your 'right' on....and IF you want to make improvements or not to it.

DUB

Quick Reply: Expansion tank as an overflow tank?