C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POR-15 quantity for frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 03:39 AM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default POR-15 quantity for frame

Hey guys, especially the ones that did a frame of resto. How much por-15 should I buy to paint the whole frame? Is 1 quart enough or should I go with a gallon?
Old 08-05-2002, 07:24 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: POR-15 quantity for frame (Lohkay)

2 quarts should be enough but if you don't use it all at once it'll get hard very fast in the can. If you get more, get more cans not 1 big one.

Marck
Old 08-05-2002, 08:13 AM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One quart can did two coats on my frame. I bought two and am using the second can on parts like bumper brackets, steel wheels, scattershield, etc.

Hint: When closing a part can, place plastic warp losely over the mouth of the can before tapping the lid on. This saved 3/4 of a can from hardening on me. How? The fumes inside expanded and "popped" the lid off, but the plastic held by bubbling up without breaking.

Hint 2: Have "lots" of air circulation if brushing this stuff on. If spraying, follow the manufacturers cautions completely. Get proper equipment so as NOT to breathe those fumes while spraying!

Amazing stuff.......dries VERY hard and leaves no brush marks.

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 7:14 AM 8/5/2002]
Old 08-05-2002, 09:14 AM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: POR-15 quantity for frame (67HEAVEN)

When you did your frame did you coat the entire frame at the same time or in sections? Working on stripping & preping mine now, it would be easier to do in sections & finish one side then flip it over. Also how long can you wait between coats? Can I paint the second coat a few days later? Work schedule & the honey do's are getting in the way :lol:
Old 08-05-2002, 09:39 AM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: POR-15 quantity for frame (70BBvert)

When you did your frame did you coat the entire frame at the same time or in sections? Working on stripping & preping mine now, it would be easier to do in sections & finish one side then flip it over. Also how long can you wait between coats? Can I paint the second coat a few days later? Work schedule & the honey do's are getting in the way :lol:
I started by using Metal Ready (by the same company that makes POR-15). It comes in a pump bottle and is a clear liquid. You pump it on and brush it over the frame. It appears to etch and clean/neutralize the surface prior to painting. On pump bottle is plenty. I let this dry for a couple of hours, flipped the frame over and repeated. Again, let it dry, then blew off the frame with the compressor and vacuumed it. You will see a white powdery appearance when the Metal Ready dries. That's what I was blowing/vacuuming off.

Then, I painted (brush) the underside first (frame was upside down). I let it dry overnight....applied second coat.

After another overnight drying, I flipped the frame over and did the same thing to the topside - two coats.

If you need to wait longer between coats, be sure to vacuum/rub down the surface again as dust build up is fast.

My final step was to spray a coat of Tremclad Gloss Black to prevent UV fading of the POR-15 (as they warn about on their label).
Old 08-05-2002, 09:41 AM
joe74
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I used the stuff, I poured the leftover into a 1 quart canning jar
and used the canning lids. Stuff lasted a long time, didn't dry up in storage.

Old 08-05-2002, 10:02 AM
madmaxgt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying a gallon might be tempting for the price but the quanity is to much! I think one quart would do it but get get two quarts just in case. I bought the six pack of 1/2 pint cans (3 gloss, 3 flat) to keep on hand in my garage. They are easier to work with and you don't waste as much!
Old 08-05-2002, 11:01 AM
DVG73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two quarts is about right, and I did mine in sections. Here's a tip on how to keep it from hardening, this for the black. Drill a couple small holes in the lid and use screws to plug them up after you are done. This way you never have to take the lid off. Saved me a quart. You can't do that with the silver as it needs to be stirred but the black is Ok.
Have fun!
Old 08-05-2002, 03:04 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: POR-15 quantity for frame (DVG73)

Thanx guys. gonna buy meself 2 quarts then. And 1 pint of grey for the driveshafts and differential. ;) Its gonna be pretty!

Get notified of new replies

To POR-15 quantity for frame

Quick Reply: POR-15 quantity for frame