C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 06:53 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it!

It's in the crate at the mechanic's shop. And I'm not gonna let the scary instructions put me off! According to some archived threads from Carl in LA, this should be BOLT IN (TH350 to TH200-4R). We'll see.

I'll keep y'all posted on the progress... :smash:
Old 08-04-2002, 07:00 PM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it! (page62)

Good luck. Let me know of the change. :yesnod:
Old 08-05-2002, 08:26 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it! (Wightnite)

I've got the same transmissiona and am gonna do it, but need to wait for winter. Too much to do right now.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:43 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Make sure you visit the turbobuick.com site, there are some tranny guys that really know their sh it , and not scared to talk about the 200r4....
I was just over there yesterday getting some tips on my 700r4....good group...

GENE
Old 08-05-2002, 08:48 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it! (mrvette)

:cheers: take lots of pics :cheers:
Old 08-05-2002, 10:44 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

What vehicle(s) does the 200-4R come out of? Is that the transmission first used in the 1982 Corvette?
Old 08-05-2002, 11:01 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it! (paul79)

The 200-4r was used in the Monte Carlo SS and Buick Grand National. The beauty of it is that it's supposed to be a direct bolt-in -- no crossmember needed. I ordered a Level 2 (beefed-up) unit from Bowtie Overdrives -- piece of mind for $150 more -- still a bargain.

Another forum member (Carl in LA) did it to his '76 and describes the process as a half-day BOLT IN job! He said there are 2 holes in the center of the crossmember where the 200-4r bolts right in...

As a side note, the same crossmember (the one with holes for dual exhaust) was used through '79. For years after that, I'm not sure.

I'll keep everyone posted -- might even build a photo-intensive website. Wish me luck! :cheers:
Old 08-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Thanks! Those models are pretty rare so I doubt that a salvage yard is a potential source. I am just thinking....I wonder if there are vendors in Canada?
Old 08-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

Cool Are you gonna put 3:90's or 3"73's in now?? :reddevil
Old 08-05-2002, 11:35 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Should this be an issue now that there's NAFTA? I know the exchange rate's a killer, but the trannys are 100% U.S. content (and perhaps even some Canadian content too...) So there should be no import duties.

I remember drooling over American catalogs as a teenager living in Ontario, knowing there was no way I could easily (and affordably) get that stuff across the border!
Old 08-05-2002, 11:42 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

You are correct re NAFTA: there is no customs duty for automobile parts made in North America. But the exchange rate as you have noted, shipping in US$ and brokerage fees make most US purchases very pricey. And if a cross-border warranty of some kind is involved, it complicates matters even further.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:55 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Hmmm...there are only a handful of 200-4r gurus, even on this side of the border. Even if you do find a wrecked Monte Carlo SS, I don't know who could do a decent rebuild around there. Maybe you could let your fingers do the walking through the Toronto yellow pages.

Perhaps you'd be better off finding a decently rebuilt 700r4 up there and getting the accesories (like a crossmember, which you'd need) from Bowtie Overdrives. That's likely the best compromise.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:16 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you started yet...??? Will it take a half-day? I see that you went with BowTie OD... same way I went... I'm at 5000 all-smiles miles.

The switch from the Turbo 350 really is simple as you will see... My stock exhaust even cleared the wider pan on the 200. Jus keep the hacksaw close by to work on the ignition lock-out cable/shift cable bracket... it can be made to fit.

Did you get the 2nd/3rd lock up switch? I did and while I rarely use it... I did help in mountain driving.

I can report that the T-350 torque converter cover did not fit and had to be hammered a little bit... the gasket Bowtie sent was pretty thin and I have leaked some oil past the gasket.

All in all... the best upgrade to the Vette I've done. Overdrive is so much better than stock.... I cruise 80-mph at 2300 rpm with my super low 3.08 rear gear... wanna go quick... stick a shorter rear in there and look out!
Old 08-05-2002, 12:29 PM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it! (Carl in LA)

I went to a salvage yard and asked for a 200-4r she asked what it was in? I wasn't sure so I told her from a camaro she looked it up and found one so I guess camaro is a sourse 200-4r also, they wanted $150 for it.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:46 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it! (Carl in LA)

Hey Carl, I'm glad you showed up...now I can ask you lots of questions!

For starters, how much wider is the 200-4r pan? I have custom duals, and I went out and took a look...the pipes get close near the back. Ultimately it won't be a biggie because there are lots of "Mexican" muffler shops nearby (one of the benefits of lving near the border).

I've got everything except the $90 TV Made EZ kit. But I seem to recall you had to replace the "kickdown" cable with a TV cable. What's the difference?

Also, I think I read that you didn't change your shifter. Do the top 3 gears engage properly anyhow?

Finally, if I have other questions can I email you?
Old 08-05-2002, 04:24 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

For starters, how much wider is the 200-4r pan?

I've got everything except the $90 TV Made EZ kit. But I seem to recall you had to replace the "kickdown" cable with a TV cable.

Also, I think I read that you didn't change your shifter. Do the top 3 gears engage properly anyhow?

Finally, if I have other questions can I email you?
I did not measure the difference while under the car - my guess is that the 200 pan is perhaps three inches wider???

The kick down cable verses the TV cable... clearly a major difference at the tranny end... not much difference at the carburator end. Follow the instructions in the Bowtie package like taking off the pan to watch action when tuning. On the carb end... after trying to use the Bowtie adaptor on the rochester I simply attached the clip end to the stock rochester cleate in the same manner the stock kick down cable used to attach.

If you read your instructions throughly you now understand that the TV cable is the key to success or failure with the 200. The sweep of the arc on the rochester throttle which pulls the TV cable is key to shifting the tranny. The kit you refer to (at the time I bought) was for holly carbs. Absent a kit for rochesters, the stock setting is "close" to right in my situation (3.08 gears). THIS MAY NOT BE THE CASE FOR YOU. You may need to further refine the loction to attach the end of the TV cable to get the appropriate response from the tranny when depressing the accelerator.

The adjustor on the cable is part of the key to tuning the tranny... I found that I could radically alter the characteristic of the shifitng by moving the cable adjuster by ONE notch on the clip. Very sensitive. I am happy with setting I have and have not changed it for months. I do feel that the tranny response is slightly sluggish using the stock rochester throttle arm cable clete. I have to depress the accelerator farther than necessary to get a kick-down at lower RPM and lower speeds... meaning if I am going 50-mph in 4th and I want to kick down to 3rd for a little acceleration I have to depress the accelerator several inches to get the kick... the problem... The 383 makes enough horse power that when I get the kick - I am also getting 3000 rpm and accelerating like a race horse... getting the kick with less pedal ( as in a longer sweep of the arc) would be beneficial. I'm only talking about having the clete on the throttle arm be about 1/16 of an inch farther from the pivot point - very close... why is this not a problem over 50-mph??? Because I'm out on the highway and slamming the pedal to the floor gets the kickdown and instantly accelerating to 90-mph is what I'm looking for!!!!!

The shifter - Yes, I did not change the shifer in the car and can only "select" the upper three gears on the 200. Of course the car pulls away from a stop using 1st gear and then rolls through all the other gears ending up in 4th lockup at about 50-mph. Just like normal. The '76 shifter does select each of the gears accurately when necessary. Perhaps when I refresh the console I will take the time to install (or notch) the 1st gear detent but it is not a priority at this time.

try me at carlatho@pacbell.net

[Modified by Carl in LA, 12:27 PM 8/5/2002]
Old 08-05-2002, 05:47 PM
Hershey
Racer

Wightnite, 200R-4's came in full size Buicks, Olds, Pontiacs, and Cadillacs in the mid 80's. Also in the GN'S and MC SS as mentioned. They are even in some Chevelle wagons and El Caminos in the 80's.Mine came out of an 84 Cad. and I'm going on three years with it in. Low buck install, get the TV cable mount off of one of these vehicles with Q-jet, and use the shift linkage off of your trans. According to B&M the TV cable should be attached at a point approximately 1.09 in. from the centerline of the throttleshaft. You will like the difference this trans makes. :chevy :chevy

[Modified by Hershey, 4:49 PM 8/5/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it!

Old 08-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it! (Hershey)

It's beginning to look like this is not a "bolt-in" job.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:47 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's beginning to look like this is not a "bolt-in" job.
Same thing I was thinking :( I might be better off just to buy a 700R4
Old 08-05-2002, 09:05 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it! (corvettemaster)

Sorry guys, but you have to do all the same stuff with a 700R4. PLUS you have to purchase a crossmember, and cut the driveshaft, and make sure you have the correct spline! :smash:

Quick Reply: Okay...I've got the 200-4R...and I'm gonna do it!