C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 frontal area and aerodynamic drag coeff.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:33 PM
RickyBerg
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Aero drag increases as the square of the speed (four times the drag at twice your 60 mph example). The horsepower increases at the third power (eight times the horsepower at twice the ground/wind speed).

I blocked off my outer and license plate grilles, along with about 50% of the undergrill openings to reduce the amount of air going through and under the car. No overheating issues yet.
Thanks.
Did you notice any difference (improvement) in high speed acceleration or top speed or in some other ways after this modifications?
Old 11-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyBerg
Thanks.
Did you notice any difference (improvement) in high speed acceleration or top speed or in some other ways after this modifications?
I'll confess I don't have any instrument data to show what the impact of these changes are. I made these changes as they seem to be directionally correct for improved aero. The tracks I frequent are of somewhat similar peak speeds (about 135), and my car has always seemed very stable at these speeds. I credit the Pace Car front spoiler and a low ride height for this stability. Blocking surplus radiator air and a belly pan are just some attempts of mine to improve some of the poor aero efficiency of our old cars.

Quick Reply: C3 frontal area and aerodynamic drag coeff.